Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2017, 08:25   #1

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
How many cans of paint?

I'm about to purchase the paint to repaint my 35ft cutter and I am in doubt about the number of gallons of Perfection PU paint. I will paint the topsides, deck and cabin sides (everything in fact). The painter is asking for 4 gallons to do the painting. It seems like a lot of paint, as PU paint is so thin and goes on very thin as well. I am thinking 3 coats. Does anyone have any experience painting a 35ft boat? How many gallons did you use? Also, how many gallons of primer? (my boat is similar to a Cape Dory 36 in terms of freeboard and area to be painted). Thanks in advance!
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 09:02   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: How many cans of paint?

If one does the math, then the surface area that you're talking about painting works out to roughly 600sqft. So then for 3 coats that's 1,800 sqft. And at 450-500sqft/gallon the amount of paint seems correct, knock on wood.

That said, ask him to break down the numbers for you. He IS the expert in this equation. And you might discretely ask another pro or two to run the numbers for you as well. Doing so such that everyone involved, including your painter, knows that you're just trying to confirm that everything's being done correctly.
Much like you'd get a 2nd opinon from an MD prior to a major proceedure. With your primary MD knowing that you're doing as much.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 09:19   #3

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Re: How many cans of paint?

Thanks Uncivilized. The painter is hardly an "expert", which is why I had doubts about the amount of paint. It just seemed like a lot of paint. I have used PU before and a quart can goes a looong way. I just don't want to buy more paint than necessary.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint