Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2017, 13:42   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
I need a new vhf which one

I'm looking at the standard horizon 2200 with ais and the icon ic m506 which is the better radio I'm in Lake ontario
idylours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 14:15   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: I need a new vhf which one

My Standard Horizon explorer 2200 is one the best purchases we have made. Rock solid and has never give us a hint of trouble. I wouldn't hesistate to purchase another one. We also added the RAM mic..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 14:48   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

We have two SH models: one handheld (15 y.o.), one fixed AIS combo (4 y.o.). Both are great units. I would buy again.

I am going to upgrade with possibly their newest AIS transceiver vhf combo this fall, before we cross to the West Indies.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 18:48   #4

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I had SH on my old boat and ICOM now. You wont go wrong either way.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:43   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
My Standard Horizon explorer 2200 is one the best purchases we have made. Rock solid and has never give us a hint of trouble. I wouldn't hesistate to purchase another one. We also added the RAM mic..
Same here. Nothing against ICOM, which is the only other VHF base unit I would consider, but I've had very good results with SH in both base units and handhelds.

And I'm on Lake Ontario. Plenty of AIS targets.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:50   #6

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

I like my SH and have the remote mic at the helm. AIS inbound was great then I updated with a Vesper XB8000 so I can also be seen by those with AIS.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:24   #7

I have the SH2200 and frankly the screen is just too small to be an effective AIS early warning system. But it can be coupled to a larger display using NMEA0183, I hear you say. Yes it can, until you discover that all modern MFD's use a NMEA2000 network....... Been there done that.

Then I decided it was time to upgrade to an AIS transceiver, so others would see me as well, and thus increase the safety aboard my ship. These devices are getting cheaper all the time and are now well within reach of normal people like you and me. I got one that "talks" NMEA2000 to my MFD.

Finally I've upgraded my MFD with a WiFi module that enables me to see charts, AIS and everything else that goes on the the screen of the MFD, on my phone or tablet. This provides a copy of the MFD in the cockpit.

So, would I advise anyone to buy a SH2200?
No, get one without that useless AIS display and consider a separate AIS transceiver coupled to a decent chart display. Do as I did, gather the equipment needed over several Christmases, every year a piece. It took me only two years (three Christmases)! But I did end up with a nice backup AIS receiver through my SH2200

I still have a NMEA0183 (4800 BPS) connection going between the MFD and SH2200 for DSC calls, simply by touching an AIS object on the MFD's screen. It sets up the DSC call ready for use on the SH2200. It works much faster and easier then selecting the same object on the SH2200. In hindsight I would have been better of with a NMEA2000 enabled VHF I suppose.
Bor the Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:52   #8

The choice is extremely easy, though you might be waiting for a couple of months and its expensive. These I think are going to fly off the shelves:-

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Standard Horizon GX6500: a loaded VHF radio also integrated with Class B AIS

No silly NMEA 0183 to NMEA2000 converters needed from your AIS Transponder to your Chart Plotter. The subtle difference with this set is the transceiver also has an AIS transponder, not just a receiver.

There's even the coolest wireless microphones available for it too.

The Standard Horizon GX6500 is off the richter scale cool!
Macgregor 26X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:10   #9

Boat: ODAY 28

another vote for S/H have installed several on different boats some with the ram mike. if you get the ram mike do not plug it in with power on the radio.
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:37   #10

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing1 View Post
another vote for S/H have installed several on different boats some with the ram mike. if you get the ram mike do not plug it in with power on the radio.
Really, how come? I do this all the time and have never had an issue!

One thing I can say.. Don't stick a screw driver up the RAM port with power on the radio. I just had to fix a radio that had this done to it (pins got bent and they were trying to straighten them).
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:43   #11

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

If I recall correctly, the Standard Horizon is less expensive than the ICOM, but it is probably worthwhile to intensively shop for both if price is important. I cannot address quality or features (the latter is a point for careful comparison). Maybe, just maybe, ICOM's reputation may be better (not that rep is really determinative of anything, particularly if, as it is often, just based on advertising). We all tend to like what we have, so that does not mean much unless there are actual dislikes or problems cited. The bottom line on this one is what does one have more of, or better of, things that appeal to YOU.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:50   #12

Boat: ODAY 28

if you plug in the ram mike and do not have it keyed correctly you can blow a fuse the the radio. has happened to a couple of my friends. I believe there is a caution about this that comes with the radio.
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:25   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bor the Wolf View Post
I have the SH2200 and frankly the screen is just too small to be an effective AIS early warning system. But it can be coupled to a larger display using NMEA0183, I hear you say. Yes it can, until you discover that all modern MFD's use a NMEA2000 network....... Been there done that. (...)
Beware not all N2K capable mfd can handle N2K AIS sentences. Search the web. I think Panbo had a writeup some time ago, and I have also read an update on a blog ... just cannot recall who blogged it.

What I love about our all in one is it calls the ais equipped ships by simply highlighting the ship and pressing 'CALL' button.

This is why our update will be to the SH 6500 model.

Much as I admit we met ships that did not respond to a direct DSC call either (sic!)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 15:17   #14

Boat: Lots of boats.

Happy with my SH 2200 with RAM mic and also plan to upgrade at some point to the SH 6500. Also have a Catalina 30 which I see is your boat. A great all around boat. I'm on a spending spree at the moment. But the newer radio is going to wait its turn. :-)
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 17:14   #15

Boat: Riva 48

I have the Lowrance Link-8 with an integrated AIS receiver. There is no need for a GPS in the radio as typically there are plenty of GPS sources on a boat.

The distinguishing feature of the Link-8 is that when connected via NMEA 0183 you can select the bad rate to be 4800 or 38400. The slower rate is useful if you are integrating with an older autopilot that does not support the higher speed. Theoretically, the AIS data will not update as fast on a slower connection but in practice it works very well.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vhf