Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2016, 12:35   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Bilge Alarms

I was wondering if anyone else bought a new boat from Lagoon and it didn't come stock with some sort of a high water bilge alarm?

My new Lagoon 450S didn't come with Alarms.

I was wondering what after market alarms might be suggested to be integrated with the pump and switch?
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 13:00   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Bilge Alarms

Maybe install a second pump, with the switch higher up in the bilge and connected to both the second pump and an alarm, pump should only run and alarm sound if water level is higher than first pump ever lets it get.
An alarm alone isn't as useful as an alarm with pump.
Anything can be an alarm, even a car horn, just pick something real loud
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 14:01   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450 F
Re: Bilge Alarms

This is remarkable. In my 2015 L450 with Flybridge an automatic bilge pump with alarm is installed on each side ((you can also switch on manually on the flybridge) and an electric pump which can be switched on manually on the panel. And, of course, the manual pump).

The alarm can not be switched off.
Ulstue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 15:50   #4

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

I have a little battery powered alarm that will wake you if there is water up to the sensor position. Good for sleeping at anchor and single handed.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 16:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulstue View Post
This is remarkable. In my 2015 L450 with Flybridge an automatic bilge pump with alarm is installed on each side ((you can also switch on manually on the flybridge) and an electric pump which can be switched on manually on the panel. And, of course, the manual pump). The alarm can not be switched off.
My 2013 L450 has the same as Ulstue the only change I have made is a pair of Led's across the alarms on Fly Bridge so if it goes off I know to look port or starboard.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 17:50   #6

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulstue View Post
This is remarkable. In my 2015 L450 with Flybridge an automatic bilge pump with alarm is installed on each side ((you can also switch on manually on the flybridge) and an electric pump which can be switched on manually on the panel. And, of course, the manual pump).

The alarm can not be switched off.
Same on my 380 (1 yr old). There is a 2 way rocker switch on the main electrical panel that turns on either port or stb pumps manually, but if you fill the bilge a bit, there is a float switch that should come on automatically, and alarm will come on as well.

Pretty sure this would be standard on all Lagoons?

My only issue is that afaik, it is not hardwired to the battery, you need to leave your switch on. I wish this wasn't the case.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 19:16   #7

Everything is correct except on my 450S it does not have any type of alarm and I am being told by my dealer that lagoon has stopped putting on alarms
Old 18-12-2016, 20:53   #8

So you have:

1 x Auto Electric Pump (NO ALARM)
1 x Manual switched Electric Pump
1 x Hand operated pump
Per Hull just no alarm on the the Auto Pump.

Do you have a switch at the helm to operate the Auto Electric pumps manually ? If so that is the easiest place to add a couple of 12 volt dc alarms across the Auto electric pumps.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 00:47   #9

I have no switch at the Helm
My switch for the electric pumps is a rocker at the control panel in the salon./saloon!
Old 19-12-2016, 00:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
So you have:

1 x Auto Electric Pump (NO ALARM)
1 x Manual switched Electric Pump
1 x Hand operated pump
Per Hull just no alarm on the the Auto Pump.

Do you have a switch at the helm to operate the Auto Electric pumps manually ? If so that is the easiest place to add a couple of 12 volt dc alarms across the Auto electric pumps.
At this point both of my float switches which are inside the pumps have failed one in each haul. I am asking the dealer to give me a price when they install the new pumps as to add to alarms with lights at the Helm. I am also looking at ultra saftey floats and alarms with a better pumps. But pretty expensive. But how much is it worth not to craw out of bed to take a piss and step on floating floor boards and lose my water maker pumps. Etc. Etc. Mine is a never ending unremarkable experience with my lagoon and the representation that was given me. But I do love my life on my boat.
Old 19-12-2016, 06:49   #11

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabimike View Post
At this point both of my float switches which are inside the pumps have failed one in each haul. I am asking the dealer to give me a price when they install the new pumps as to add to alarms with lights at the Helm. I am also looking at ultra saftey floats and alarms with a better pumps. But pretty expensive. But how much is it worth not to craw out of bed to take a piss and step on floating floor boards and lose my water maker pumps. Etc. Etc. Mine is a never ending unremarkable experience with my lagoon and the representation that was given me. But I do love my life on my boat.
good chance the float switch is not broken, but rather stuck. The problem in the 380 is that they are down at the bottom of the 'keel' and almost impossible to get unless you have ape like arms. I keep a wire coat hanger that I use sort of as a snake to do things and used this to pull push the float.

Also, while on our first shakedown cruise, I went below cause I was hearing this beeping, which I realized was the bilge. Freaking out, I went looking and what was going on was leftover anti freeze was sloshing around in the bilge. Somehow the float got stuck in the on position even though the water at that point was pretty much out. We were in about 4' seas. I was able to push the float valve down after draining the bilge. So the factory location of the pump is right at the very bottom of the bilge.

Having a high water alarm would be good, afaik the alarm i have is just for when the bilge automatically goes on.

There is another thread going on right now about crash pumps in case of a need to really evacuate lots of water. It might be worthwhile to read that if you are going cruising.

There are a couple people on the lagoon threads who have great experience with Lagoon boats and are usually correct in their assessment of issues, Paul, Tim, and Scottster come to mind.

Finally, there is a lagoon forum on yahoo groups, which also has lots of good info, not as nearly as large as the general cruisersforum here, but larger than the specific lagoon forum here.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 06:55   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
An alarm alone isn't as useful as an alarm with pump. Anything can be an alarm, even a car horn, just pick something real loud
Agreed, we have a small auto bilge pump that pumps water into the cockpit well at wellington boot height. Hopefully even dozy crew late a night might react if they see water being pumped out on to their feet or into their boots.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 10:59   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bilge Alarms

I think you are on the right track with Ultra switches, well worth the money, good quality sometimes cost more, but lasts for years
Old 19-12-2016, 11:05   #14

I like the systems where the main bilge pump is wired to a light on the panel so you can see if/when it is running. Then an alarm on the second pump that is higher in the bilge.

I just like to know if the main pump is running continuously or a lot which also indicates a problem that needs checked.
Hoosiersailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 11:58   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have a light on mine, but no counter. I can see the value of a counter

Tags
alarm, bilge, bilge alarm