Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2016, 09:20   #1

Spain, Portugal Atlantic Coast

Just wondering if anyone has cruised the iberian coast ? Is it possible to anchor all the way along or are officials herding yachts into marinas. My pilot is from 2006 so it out of date .l am planning another trip next may so i am looking for info on free anchorages as i don't own a money printer....thanks in advance. Eamon
eamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 11:02   #2

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 40
Re: spain,portugal atlantic coast

Hello,

No so many places for anchorages in the west coast of Portugal. Sines is good for anchorage inside the port! In the South of Portugal you may anchor in Alvor (if your draft is small), Portimão and Culatra (Faro). May be someone can add more!

Note: I am referring to anchorages that you may use on almost any weather to spend a night!

Regards Vladis
Vladis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 11:30   #3

Re: Spain, Portugal Atlantic Coast

Thanks vladis. My draught is 1meter with the daggerboard up and we can take the ground. It allows me to sneak ito shelter in most harbours but usually the officials are more of a problem then the weather.
eamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 18:51   #4
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

In May I went down, anchored in Caiscais and Sines no problems.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 00:47   #5

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 40

Hello,

If your draft is 1 meter you have more options mostly inside the mouth of rivers! Be careful on entering the bars! I only know the coast south of Porto! You have Aveiro (São Jacinto). Then in Figueira da Foz you may get an alternative to the Marina, but the Marina is cheap and you are very near the centre of the town (the registry port of our boat presently navigating in Greece). May be you can enter in São Martinho do Porto! Check it in Google maps!

Then do not miss Alvor and Culatra and if you are going east may be you enter the Guadiana river (border between Portugal and Spain) and anchor some 20 miles upwards the river in Alcoutim!

Regards, Vladis
Vladis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 08:07   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladis View Post
Hello,

If your draft is 1 meter you have more options mostly inside the mouth of rivers! Be careful on entering the bars! I only know the coast south of Porto! You have Aveiro (São Jacinto). Then in Figueira da Foz you may get an alternative to the Marina, but the Marina is cheap and you are very near the centre of the town (the registry port of our boat presently navigating in Greece). May be you can enter in São Martinho do Porto! Check it in Google maps!

Then do not miss Alvor and Culatra and if you are going east may be you enter the Guadiana river (border between Portugal and Spain) and anchor some 20 miles upwards the river in Alcoutim!

Regards, Vladis
Culatra can indeed be tricky, but your draft makes you flexible. It's a great cruising area...enjoy!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 10:13   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

I have sailed from La Coruna south into Mediterranean.
At the north, you have the rias, (look at Google Earth) - much indented with many options to cruise, anchor and enjoy. South of the ria de Vigo, the shore is unforgiving, except rivers (as mentioned).
The prices of marinas as far as I remember on the Atlantic coast were fine except around Lisbon (beware of Cascais -jest set environment). The prices raise as you approach the Med around Gibraltar.
Old 29-06-2016, 13:41   #8

Boat: Outremer 42

Mine is currently in a Marina in Villagarcia on the Spanish Rias. There are plenty of anchorages in the Rias and with shallow draft you will be spoilt for choice. Nice people, good food, cheap compared to the rest of Spain and as is so often the case, where fees are low officialdom tends to have a lower profile as well. I haven't got to Portugal yet so can't tell you any more. Next month however....
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 14:21   #9
cruiser

You might want to pass on this spot:

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 22:26   #10

Boat: Faurby 396

In Lisbon Marina Parque das Nacois is not expensive, but you have to motor 10 nm upriver Tagus. It is a good option if leaving the boat for some time and fly going from/to Lisbon. Taxi to airport is 10€ only.
Rumen

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
olianta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 23:20   #11

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Culatra can indeed be tricky, but your draft makes you flexible. It's a great cruising area...enjoy!
We found 20' of water almost up to the main Anchorage?

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Portugal, Spain, spain, portugal