Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2015, 08:50   #1

Boat: Furia 37
Send a message via Skype™ to Jurgenfd
France to Portugal/Canaries on 37 foot sailing yacht

Crew wanted: France to Portugal/Canaries on 37 foot sailing yacht

For next 12 months, I am planning a trip of around the North Atlantic. We have left the Netherlands for England beginning of September 2015. Currently the OdodO is in Eastbourne, England and will be setting off to Brest, France next week. I am looking for crew to join us to Portugal and potentially further.

From Brest we will circumvent the Gulf of Biscae as likely the crossing is too risky this time of the year. Our end point is Faro, Portugal which we plan to reach before October 20. After Portugal we travel to the Canaries and Cape Verde before crossing to the Americas.

Improvements that are completely done: ham radio, spray hood, diesel heater, wind vane and electrical steering, standing rigging replacement, radar, AIS, dive compressor, solar panel, wind generator, and insulation of back stay for use by ham radio. Most recently, we installed a satellite phone for grabbing weather reports when we are removed from land. Also done: underwater ship repairs and antifouling, all teak replaced, all acryl windows replaced, ‘energy frame’ installed, life boat serviced, small engine for dinghy bought, all outside nav lights and interiors replaced by LEDs. Installed new shore power inverter and a new 230 V invertor (500 W) for charging our devices. New VHF transceivers (1x masthead 2x mobile). Added 2 electrical pumps, 90 meters SS anchor chain and one PLB ACR ResQLink.

She does not have hot water, nor a water maker but I am in the process of ordering a new genua and mainsail.

I prefer to sail with at least one and no more than three other sailors. My wife prefers me to stick with male crew so sorry for all the ladies. As skipper I have only experience in coastal waters yet so I hope to learn from you if applicable. As a person, I am open minded, persistent, and love a good joke! As a teacher (4 years on the J24s in Madison, WI, USA) I give students room to learn but can be critical at times. I think I am on the clean side with house keeping. My focus is on safety for these are dangerous endeavors. I want to be as environmentally responsible as possible but our boat does not have all provisions made for it yet. I like to learn by reading and then persist in doing until I get it; and I frequently do ;-)

Boiler plate questions I have for you:

- What time frame would interest you? The longer the better.
- Can we meet before sailing?
- Do you like to go SCUBA diving? We have our own air compressor so we can dive beautiful reefs.
- What are your 3 strongest points?
- What are your 3 points you need to work on?
- Do you think we match socially?

FB
Old 17-09-2015, 17:34   #2

Re: France to Portugal/Canaries on 37 foot sailing yacht

Hi, I' m Mattia, a 25 years old boy from Liguria, Italy. I gradueted in Yacht Design in Genova and always had the passion for the sea, Now I'm trying to realize my dream of reaching the Caribbean sailing.

I would like to embark on an Atlantic crossing and be part of a 'new crew.
I am available from October onwards, both from a port in the Mediterranean, or directly from the Canaries. I don’t have yet any projects for when I will arrive, except exploring and traveling.

After my studies in Yacht Design I have devoted myself to the restoration of a 'wooden boat (Barunita 1952).

I wish make Yacht Design my own future, and I'd like to be able to live a long experience on board and to understand in depth crew life!
I‘d like to combine my passion for sea life with my cooking ability, for this reason I’m available to bring my experience on board preparing meals for the crew.

Concerning my nautical experience I’ve often sailed for short trips on small motor boats and “gozzo”, and on my father’s fisherman too, getting confident in using navigational end steering equipment (echo sounder, radar, VHF radio, compass, rudder, anchor, knots).
One of the reason i’ m interested in having this experience is to learn more how to handle sails and rigging, because i have never had the opportunity to practice it.
I’m prepared to share my technical and practical skills in order to learn new ones and I would like to bring my recipes on board and cook all trip long!

Furthermore I really believe in 'self-production' and in the 'self-repair' of objects and things, using my manual labour skills trying to fix or re-use something.
As i mentioned before, i have good knowledge in woodworking, thanks to my studies and the last year Barunita refit project in which I have worked for about 8 months. In this project I took part on the hull restoration in some parts really damaged, rebuilding many main structures, restoring the rigging and some parts of the propulsion system.
I have also bases knowledges in welding and in electronics.
I speak English but I would like to improve my level, and maybe learn Spanish or other languages.

I' m a sociable and open minded fellow and i really want to meet new people and make new adventures.I Have a big music collection, I'd love to share it!
I would like to take a bit of time for a long trip, take the time to design, study and read what I like best, and live a 'unique experience with new people.

Buon vento!
Old 18-09-2015, 02:19   #3

See PM. Cheers!
Old 18-09-2015, 02:55   #4

Boat: Jenneau 45

Hi
If you are sailing down thePortugese Atlantic coast, consider long day sails of say 60 NM per day as there are thousands if not millions of lobster pots which also extend well offshore, and would be a danger if night sailing.

In the Canneries Gomera is well worth a visit, and has a very good marina close to the town cwntre.

Enjoy your trip

Ray
Say Josephine, in Greece
Old 18-09-2015, 08:21   #5

Get yourself at least one qualified crew person for this trip,,,Biscay and the west
Coast of Spain / Portugal can be nasty in
The time frame you are thinking of..
Villamoura south to Canaries is the easy
Part..
Also with a qualified sailor you are going to
Need to discuss who makes the decisions.
There cant be two captains on a boat.
Old 18-09-2015, 10:01   #6

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Sounds like a hell of a good trip. If I were twenty years younger, I'd be standing in line right behind Mattias V. Best of luck. I happen to know that the Netherlands produces some of the world's best sailors.
Old 19-09-2015, 03:29   #7

I have just returned from crewing on a 37ft Prout Catamaran from the Canaries to Portugal.

I also delivered a 45ft Lagoon 450 Catamaran from France trans-at via Madiera to the B.V.I's.

I am based in London and am available to crew now. You can view my profile on Crewbay.com in find crew keyword search Jeremy New.

Regards,

Jeremy New
Old 20-09-2015, 07:27   #8

Good Morning - Afternoon

While I can't volunteer for the first leg of your trip due to responsibilities here in New England, I'd love to be considered for future legs. About me:
I"m 65 yr old single guy - good shape / good health
Rescue certified PADI SCUBA diver - started diving in 1967 have 1000's of dives
Active surfer - riding smaller waves these days
Bareboat ASA sailing certified - multiple charters since mid 1990's
Competitively sailed Solings in the past
Former School Superintendent - teacher <biology/chem/physics/math>
Underwater photographer-video
Easy attitude - Christian orientation

You can reach me directly at michael@michaelsmail.com

Michael Cosgriff
413-374-4520
Old 27-09-2015, 15:56   #9

I would be very interested in joining you.
I am a 48 year old male, fit, easy going yet not afraid of hard work. I am currently the owner/skipper of a 33ft Westerly Storm, for seven years, though the majority of my sailing has been around the Scottish coasts (including Orkney and the North Sea), approximately 50% of which has been solo.
As I have been made redundant as the result of the downturn in the Oil Industry, I have decided to take a year out to enjoy some good sailing and good company.
I am flexible with any arrangements and have no timetable to follow.
I enjoy and appreciate good company and humour.
I am no gastronomic wizard but I can rustle up some pretty tasty food with the basic ingredients.
I'm not a hard drinker, though I do also enjoy the chance to sit back and relax with a cold beer or glass of wine when the job's done.
Though much of my experience has been as solo skipper, I have no issue at all of taking instruction - and obeying it.
If you are still seeking crew, I would be grateful if you would consider me for your trip - or even part of it.
Thanks
Ron
Old 02-10-2015, 00:42   #10

PM on the way, thanks Ron!
Old 15-10-2015, 02:18   #11

Hi,

I'm Barbaros,a 6th-year medical student from Izmir/Turkey who has recently taken a year off to travel around the Caribbeans and South America.Crossing the ocean will be the most special part of this trip and I already welcome all challenges with a great energy as a way to improve myself and my sailing skills.I am interested in joining you for Atlantic Crossing from Canaries if possible.
As for sailing,I have attended basic sailing courses for 4 months and participated in some sailing races along the Aegean coast of Turkey.I've taken part in boat transfers by both motoring and sailing on Greek and Turkish coasts,also from Italy to Greece totally making around 1800-1900 miles in the sea.I am an open-minded personality that makes it easier to get along with people from so different backgrounds.I am willing to take any duty and responsibility on the boat : Night watch,cooking,deckhand,sail trimming...

I was brought up with sea culture and have been lucky enough to live in a city,Izmir, whose history and lifestyle is shaped by the sea throughout the history. I'm an energetic,laid-back,cheerful,tidy as well as a responsible person (as medical school requires it a lot) and very well-informed of the history,mythology,traditions of my part of the world.I am so good at cooking Turkish,Greek and Med-cuisine with lots of greens and olive oil as well as some well-known dishes from Asian and Mexican cuisines.

Moreover,as a medical student,I'm fully trained for first aid or any case of emergency as well as for basic medical interventions.

If you still need a crew for Atlantic crossing or have a spare place on your boat for an extra-crew,I would like to discuss further about the details.I can contribute to the expenses up to some agreed limit and as I say willing to take any duty on board.Please don't hesitate to ask anything you wonder.

I will appreciate your answer,

Best Regards,

Barbaros
Old 15-10-2015, 13:13   #12

Hi Barbaros and all other interested sailors,

At the moment I'm good on crew. Today a second crew arrived and I hope we speed up again. You can follow us at: http://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/OdodO

Thank you for your interest but stay tuned.

Cheers,
Jurgen

Tags
aries, Canaries, France, Portugal, sail, sailing, yacht