Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 10:35   #1

Boat: Watkins W27
Send a message via Skype™ to Stillwater1
Captain/Crew reviews or reports

I just finished 9 days with a Captain, his SV, and 2 other crew in Central America (Panama to Costa Rica, Pacific side). It was a voyage intended to go all the way to the Sea of Cortez. I left the boat at the end of the first 420 nm leg to Costa Rica. The other 2 crew left the disabled boat and the captain at a marina in Nicaragua a few days later. I wrote a report of the adventure for my website and published it so my friends could see it.
Shortly afterwards I was contacted by a person who had crewed the same boat and captain a month previously. His stories sounded much like mine. The captain does not know his boat nor how to use it.

We all got the berths from Crewbay and similar sites, and we all asked many questions both via email and skype before hopping on a plane. He was pretty good at misrepresenting the truth. Had we seen the previous crews' blog post none of us would have gone.

We have been talking and we seem to think there is not a central place where potential captains and crew can look up info on past experiences. We all know reviews are often not worth the electrons devoted to display them and one must be discerning when reading them.

Is anyone here aware of a site that offers that review/report kind of service? Reputably? 2nd question, if there is not such a site, what are the opinions of people here on the usefullness of one?
Stillwater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:42   #2

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Captain/Crew reviews or reports

Could you tell us the name and type of boat you were on so potential crew will be put on notice. I have crewed on more than a dozen boats and also have had crew more than a dozen times. I find about 10% of crew or Capt.'s aren't very good, even after checking them out carefully. Good luck in the future!

Greg
Old 02-04-2017, 11:16   #3

Sure.
Morgan 383
SV Stella Maris
Portsmouth, NH
currently berthed at: Marina Puesta del Sol, Nicaragua
Old 02-04-2017, 13:00   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Read the post about and felt compelled to post my experience of a crew who came to me through Crewseekers. She said she could sail and had a coastal skipper's theory. She told me she had thousands of miles of sailing experience.
My boat is a 43' Beneteau with new Raymarine evo autopilot, 4 different navigation chartplotters,good sails and all sail handling equipment. It is fully fitted out
The Truth
She did not know what a halyard or a sheet was. To tack was a complete mystery. She could not steer and would insist she needed to go below when I suggested she steer. She would not keep the galley clean after herself. She could not roll up the jib. Absolutely no idea about navigation or how to follow the wind as the autopilot was not connected to the wind instrument at the time. What a gybe is,what a leech line is..
She actually threatened to hit me on a few occasions. She told me she was ex special forces in Israeli army.
I could continue but that's enough. It's been six months but it still bugs me how inept she was and the danger of bringing her to sea expecting her to be of assistance

Dukey
Old 02-04-2017, 13:02   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater1 View Post
I wrote a report of the adventure for my website and published it so my friends could see it.
What is you website address. I would love to read your posting.
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 14:45   #6

Duke et all,

Yes, if there were a website where captains and crews were able to reliably post information like this I believe it would get a fair amount of use. And would provide a valuable service. There are no doubt lot's of obstacles to making it work as we would like it to. I guess I am soliciting suggestions.

In the meantime, I am going to try to get some info out there about this Captain and this boat thru various means. He is actually kind of a nice guy and very generous, he just doesn't wish to acknowledge how much he does not know and misrepresents how experienced he is.

If anyone wants to read my report I will send a link via PM, for now I am only sending it to friends, or I guess, now people who have a real interest in reading it.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:48   #7

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Great idea.
I crewed for some one years ago who owned and sailed a 46 footer in the Caribbean.
It turned out she really didn't know how to sail, was terrified of the boat and refused suggestions or advice.
She was stuck down there (after her BF, who did know how to sail, left her and the boat,) trying to get the boat back to the US.
Needless to say she had stories of other crew before me that were incompetent and left her stranded ... like I did after a week of really trying to help her out.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:07   #8

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Here's one vote for a site with "reviews" going both ways, towards skippers and crew. Grain of salt, and all that, but if I were to see a significant number of bad reviews attached to one persons performance, with dates and itineraries (provable data) I would be inclined to skip on to the next name. Of course, I have no doubt it would become a pissing contest after a very short while.

I think it would be great info to have.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:21   #9

Boat: Lagoon 450

Trip Advisor manages to do it with restaurants & hotels, etc.

Why can't a "Crew Site" do they same?
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 15:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg4cocokai View Post
Could you tell us the name and type of boat you were on so potential crew will be put on notice. I have crewed on more than a dozen boats and also have had crew more than a dozen times. I find about 10% of crew or Capt.'s aren't very good, even after checking them out carefully. Good luck in the future!

Greg
A few years ago my wife and I took a day sail expedition out of Cuba in a fifty five foot cat. About an hour out (under power all the way) I could see the weather change and asked the Captain about the itinerary. He replied there was no problem, that they never have bad weather. Some time went by and I asked the entertainment leader about the captain's experience. She could see that I was concerned. Some passengers started being sick and I started helping the leader and the placement of the sick and quickly learned that the captain had NO experience in adverse conditions. I made some suggestions and he could not care less. At that time more than 30 passengers are sick, water is coming over the bow and the netting between the hulls goes under water almost on every wave. The poor girl entertainment leader came to me and asked what I could do to improve the situation. I replied turn around, go with the wind and return to the dock where we left from. By this time the captain is also not feeling good. The girl leader went to the captain and mentioned that there was someone more competent than him onboard. The captain threw a fit and yelled at her and I stepped forward and told him to move out of the helm and let me take over. He refused and the waves are now 10-12 feet high. I could not speak Spanish, Cuban and the girl leader came to me and insisted I take over. She yelled a few words at the captain and then I took over. I took the vessel back home and the welcoming committee were not impressed that I had taken over. I was the last passenger off and was thanked by the passengers and the girl leader. In closing, I wonder where some of these captains do get their experience and more... their papers for what it is worth... my opinion...

Captain Roger
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 14:46   #11

I found this today, it does not seem as if it is active yet, but once it is maybe that will solve it for Crewbay at least.

crewbaywebmaster Posted: 2016-12-16 10:10 Wow! That's really bad form. We obviously can't improve peoples reliability, but we can allow you to post a comment on their profile for an incident such as this. We already have this included in the new site... i'll be a little bit like trip adviser and coach surfer. It will be setup on a trial basis to start with and I'm pretty sure it's going to need tweaking as time goes by.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:42   #12

A database that tracks the reputation of professional services is more likely to succeed, this where an exchange of labor and compensation occurs.

A database that tracks the reputation of individuals can be libelous because this would be much like tracking the quality of a friendship or domestic relationship.

Some states like Florida actually criminalize libel. Anyone who embarks on this service should be extremely cautious of what they permit to be posted.

The general consensus is that a website is not responsible for the content posted by it's users but an underlying factor can change that.

If the website encourages the content that is posted then the scope of liability changes. Not to mention you would quickly piss off a lot of people.

This is one reason why no consumer reporting service exists that records the complete nature of your relationships as reported by employers.

And then you have to take into account state and federal consumer reporting regulations. Rating a business is not the same as rating an individual.

Don't assume international boundaries protect your decisions either. Take a look at Kim Dotcom, his net worth, and continuing problems.
54635240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 21:49   #13

Personally, I'm not sure how well this would work with perhaps millions of sailors advertising as crew and skipper. I've crewed for 3 skippers on voyages along the Pacific coast, the longest being a stretch from Panama to San Diego. Two skippers I found on this site and one was from Lat38.

To satisfy my own concerns, I researched their websites, place of employment, and had several long conversations and exchanges of emails before an agreement was reached. I usually arrived at the dock at least a few days before departure to acquaint my self with the boat, skipper and other crew mates. If something doesn't feel right I always have the option of refusal.

So far, my trips have been successfully completed, although not without some excitement and disagreements at times. Perhaps I like to sail too much and try to make the best of any situation.
desertsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 22:32   #14

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I can recommend Sail OPO. Its not free for the crew, but Hank tries to vet both the skipper/boat and the crew, and the bad ones won't last.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 05:27   #15

Don,

I like that idea a lot. I will go take a look at Sail OPO.

A similar site for crew might work, like Trusted Housesitters the global pet/housesitting service I am a member of. Pay to play, and lots of opportunities for references from people who have used you to crew previously.

DesertSailor,

I did some of that, but not enough. I was given FB pages, and it turned out we had a mutual acquaintance, which made me think he was ok. We talked on the phone. I think asking for references, like one does for a job, not friends but professionals who know the person, is required. At least for longer trips like yours and the one I was hoping to do. Live and learn.

Tags
captain, crew, ports, reviews