Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2017, 02:36   #1

Boat: Simpson 12
Considering a Swanson 38 for sale in Australia

Hi, my family is considering a Swanson 38 for sale in Sydney Aus. We are planning an extended cruise North and then to South East Asia starting in a year or so once we have the boat ready and the stars align.

I like this boat as it has a nice following here in Aus. Plus it looks very nice in the pictures and my wife has given it the thumbs up. We haven't seen it in person, so there is still the chance that it may not be what we are after. We will probably go look at it in the next week or so if all the boxes get ticked.

Anyway, just wanted to find out what "the community" has to say about it. According to the broker everything is original except for the sails and probably the running rig. The standing rigging definitely needs to be replaced and the owner just fixed 2 leaking ports after the broker pointed them out. The engine has about 1500 hrs and has full service history according to the broker. The electrics are old but I think still work. The guy is selling as it has just been sitting for 2 years not doing anything.

Is this a project boat?
fursoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 06:25   #2

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Considering a Swanson 38 for sale in Australia

It certainly appears to be in exceptional condition considering its age & is very clean.

As you say it needs new standing rigging & the electronics should be upgraded. My main concern would be the engine which I assume is original, the hours are low but how would you know if this was accurate. If it checks out fine I'd say go for it subject to survey of course & there should be some leeway on the asking price if it has not been used for 2 years. The wife has already given her approval so even further reason to go for it.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 15:31   #3

Re: Considering a Swanson 38 for sale in Australia

Thanks for that. My gut says the same thing, but this would be my first boat so some confirmation goes a long way.
Old 27-03-2017, 16:05   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Everything that needs to be fixed or replaced should be totted up. That final amount, you will take off their asking price. I hope the chain is in good nick, better figure on re-galvanizing it. Check the anchors, too, it is usually cost effective to do them at the same time as the chain.

Expect the life raft not to be serviceable any more.

The survey can also give you an idea of an accurate valuation of the boat. If you go see her and she feels good, that is a good sign, but look carefully for water damage, 'cause you don't know how long the ports were leaking, nor when the others were re-bedded. If there is carpet, look under it to ascertain the condition of the timber underlayment.

See if you can find out what others of the size and vintage have sold for, because it'll give you an idea how low an offer will be too low.

Incidentally, there are archived threads about how to survey a boat, called something like Surveying 101, use the CF Google Custom Search under the Search menu.

Ann
Old 27-03-2017, 16:07   #5

Great advise! Thanks Ann.
Old 27-03-2017, 16:18   #6

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fursoc View Post
Hi, my family is considering a Swanson 38 for sale in Sydney Aus. We are planning an extended cruise North and then to South East Asia starting in a year or so once we have the boat ready and the stars align.

I like this boat as it has a nice following here in Aus. Plus it looks very nice in the pictures and my wife has given it the thumbs up. We haven't seen it in person, so there is still the chance that it may not be what we are after. We will probably go look at it in the next week or so if all the boxes get ticked.

Anyway, just wanted to find out what "the community" has to say about it. According to the broker everything is original except for the sails and probably the running rig. The standing rigging definitely needs to be replaced and the owner just fixed 2 leaking ports after the broker pointed them out. The engine has about 1500 hrs and has full service history according to the broker. The electrics are old but I think still work. The guy is selling as it has just been sitting for 2 years not doing anything.

Is this a project boat?
I wouldn't describe it as a project at all. All boats will need something to suit the new owner. The only comment I would add is that from the photo's the craftsmanship and style of the galley doesn't appear to match the rest of the vessel, could have been a problem in that area in the past that someone with lesser skills has repaired ?
All up, well worth a good look.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 16:19   #7

Yes totally agree. It does look out of place.
Old 18-08-2017, 02:20   #8

Boat: Easton Aluminum Catamaran

Looking at one too, Any comments on how they sail?????
chphotographic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 04:20   #9

I have sailed in a Swanson 32, a 36, a 33 foot one off, & the Swanson 40 foot double ended cruising boat. All were really nice yachts to sail, & very tough. Their records in Sydney Hobarts says great things for their ability & toughness. Any Swanson is an excellent choice for extended cruising.

Some of them suffered from some osmosis when poorly treated, & left for long periods in the water with no maintenance. This is the same for any glass boat.

I still have a Swanson Snug, their 2 piece sailing tender designed for the 40 Footer. I have had it for 41 years, & it is still sound & in good condition. No it is not for sale.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 18:04   #10

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Hi

We sailed a Swanson 38 owned by friends and it was a sturdy boat which sailed well. It was a ketch rig so an easy rig to handle. Many Swansons were kitted out by owners who purchased the hull and decks so the standard of finish varies. If this boat ticks the boxes on survey then you will find it a great boat to cruise. There are several sailing in the Pittwater region of Sydney.

Cheers Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 18:07   #11

Boat: Easton Aluminum Catamaran

Cheers Sue & "Hasbeen"

I am looking at a 1972, does anyone know if the hulls changed over the years?
chphotographic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 19:05   #12

What did change was people's knowledge of fiberglass maintenance. Early fiberglass boats suffered because people were not aware of the importance of the gelcoat in protecting the glass. They ignored the damage to the gelcoat when scraping off barnacles & other growth, just antifouling over damage. This led to osmosis.

Many early boats suffered in this way, but areas of osmosis could be readily repaired. If damage or repairs were coated with epoxy or urethane paints they were as good as new.

Many Swanson boats were a bit heavier than specification as there was an attitude of making sure everything was as strong as possible, not just strong enough.

If it passes survey, any Swanson will be a very sound boat.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 19:51   #13

Boat: 37 ft Aluminium Cutter - Roberts design

Hi All. The Swanson 38 is also on my list as a potential "go-anywhere" live-aboard but details of the yacht seem to have eluded me. Does anyone have any knowledge of these yachts and particularly:

• construction-full fibreglass or composite?
  • LWL, displacement, ballast and sail area?
  • Sailing ability in light and heavy air
Many thanks for any feedback!
Wideocean7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, for sale, sale