Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 21:04   #1
Marine Service Provider

GME gx548 vhf beeping.

Hi everyone,

I have a gme gx548 which WAS working completely fine until just recently and all it wants to do now is let out a continuous drone beep. The lights are on but I have no ability to change channel or make any other adjustments. It appears to be the one manual missing in my monster stack of manuals so I was hoping to receive some help from the forum.

Obviously I've tried to download the PDF online but the server is not responding at gme.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 21:56   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: GME gx548 vhf beeping.

Sorry I can't help directly
It could be software hiccup and maybe this can be reset by key entry but again I don't know the sequence (if any).

If you are feeling brave, you could try some "random" button pushing like holding the up and down channel selector buttons down (together) for 5+ seconds or turning it on with these buttons depressed or similar ideas.

These units are getting a bit old now and maybe it is telling you to replace it but I would wait a bit longer for CF help or for GME to get their site back up.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 00:43   #3
Marine Service Provider

Haha. I'm not afraid to push buttons. And push I have!
I must admit I haven't tried combination of buttons. I will give it a go.

I'm thinking maybe it's telling me that an internal fuss has blown so I might try that.

I've got my little hand held vhf so I'm not completely without but I will need to figure it out before I head offshore again.
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 04:40   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

My gut feeling is that it isn't telling you there is a hardware fault (like a fuse etc) but I'm happy to be proven wrong!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vhf