Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2016, 09:03   #1

South Coast Puerto Rico Cruise

Ahoy group,
I'm new postee to the forum, but have lurked for several months. I am cruising my 70` Hatteras CPMY from Punta Cana to St. Thomes in early December and have planned to cruise the southern coast of Puerto Rico enroute, a week or so.

I would appreciate any input as to stops, must-see local sights or any areas to avoid. I like to anchor out. Is it safe to leave boat unattended during the day? My tentative planned stops are Bouqeron, Ponce then onto Vieques, but would like a couple of other options with decent anchorage and protection. Any input is welcome. I have been on deliveries from states to VI. Before, but not along the Southern coast. Thanks in advance for your input.

Have a great weekend on the water.
Mike
CaptainMikeTEYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 16:36   #2

Boat: Leopard 50 Catamaran
Re: South Coast Puerto Rico Cruise

Hi Mike, I did the southern coast of Puerto Rico in January. Boqueron was a great stop as well as la piguera just east. Ponce is not so great but the marina is nice. Not that much to do in the town. Salinas is great protection and if you walk around the little town area you'll find a couple of quaint restaurants however that whole area was a little more rustic than I expected. We did another night anchored out at a point east of there about 30 miles from vieques but I'm not sure of the name. Keep in mind there is a NOAA weather buoy off Ponce about 8 miles that can tell you the wind and Sea condition. We got our butts kicked. it was blowing 18 to 25 with 6 to 8 foot swells on the nose. Of course we were on a schedule so we punched through it but the south coast of Puerto Rico can rough you up.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
happytogether is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, Puerto Rico