Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2020, 18:10   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Walk me through boat buying US and Europe

I'm interested in buying a boat this winter/spring and I'd appreciate it if somebody could walk me through the boat buying process. My research has yielded the general steps, but I'm wondering about the specifics. I'm a US citizen living in the US, but right now I'm interested in a couple boats in northern Europe, so I'd appreciate learning what, if any, the differences are.

As I understand it, the basic steps are the following:

-Contact the selling broker (which I've done)
-Ask questions that are not answered by listing (done)
-Arrange a viewing (in process)
-Depending on interest, make an offer
-If the offer is accepted, negotiate and sign a p&s contract and pay deposit to broker

-Survey vessel
-Depending on results, recover deposit, renegotiate and/or set closing
-Pay remaining amount and close
-Transfer registration (or if in Europe, de-register and register in US)

Please let me know if I'm off base on this process. Do I need to have insurance lined up before closing?

Specifically for buying in Europe, I have questions about the timeline, and things that need to be done pre-purchase. If I'm arranging a trip to see one or more boats in difference cities in northern Europe, how much time should I arrange for each boat? Should I expect to potentially put in an offer and get to the survey step in one trip? Should I find a surveyor and rigger beforehand just in case? or will it most likely require a second visit after a contract is negotiated?

I'm looking at two sailboats, a 45 footer and 52 footer. In the US, I don't think there are any requirements for the operation of private pleasure vessels by the owner, will I run into issues in Europe? At this point I am not sure if I will have the boat shipped to the US or if I will hire a captain to sail it here. If I ship the boat back, I'd like to take the boat from the port of purchase to the loading port. Will I have to hire a captain to help with that?

If I de-register the boat in the country of purchase, when does it have to be re-registered in the US? before I can move it anywhere? or can I wait till it gets delivered to the US, by either method?

I'll probably have additional questions, but right now, those are what I'm wondering about. Thanks!
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, Europe, rope