Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2019, 23:37   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Maintenance costs for a 1960s timber trawler

So I was approached yesterday by a couple I know, who have kindly given me the heads up that they are selling their lovely old timber trawler, they offered me the chance to buy before they listed it.

I was sorely tempted, it is a boat I have admired for years and it would meet my live-aboard needs far better than the current Swanson 42, which, were I to go down this path, would be moved to a mooring while I lived on the trawler.

But, as I explained to them, the timing is all wrong. I am about to travel for the next few years, and seaworthy as their boat is, I simply cannot afford the fuel bills which would amount to at least AU$10k just to get to the places I NEED to go, let alone the places I’d like to go.

I said to them that if it hasn’t sold in a few years when I am ready to settle down and work again, I’ll be back with cheque-book in hand. It really would make a terrific live aboard.

But last night I did realise that I have no real feel for the costs of keeping such a boat in dock-worthy condition. To be clear, I wouldn’t be taking it away from the dock. At 1.6 litres of fuel per nautical mile that will never be an option for me.

It’s a timber boat, yellow box gum I think, 1960s build, it feels dry and strong and does not smell like there are any problems. Can such boats be simply slipped every couple of years for anti-fouling and anodes or are there other big ticket items? I’m used to fibreglass hulls, which of osmosis is not a problem, are very simple to maintain.

Matt

Tags
maintenance, trawler