Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2019, 03:59   #1

Boat: Van de Stadt 38'
Backstay SSB antenna connector corrosion

My SSB radio uses the backstay as a antenna . A balun is connected between one of the the SS backstays and the pushpits SS railing, which is bolted to the steel deck of the boat. All connections are made with insulated 9mm diam. multi strand tin plated copper wire secured with 316 SS hose clips on to 8mm SS standing wire.

The problem I am having is bad corrosion between the standing rigging/pushpit and the connecting wire on all connections.

I am thinking about conductive grease or similar to be put in between the mating surfaces and hose clips. (But grease probably washes of in time and I have no idea what brand or if at all exists)

Has anyone had a similar problem, if so, what did you do about it?
Is there a solution to stop corrosion?
Many thanks..
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 04:38   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Backstay SSB antenna connector corrosion

Ive not heard of that config before. My setup has a GTO15 high voltage wire attached to the backstay with a wire clamp running directly to the tuner. The bulldog clamp is sealed with rescue tape. Have never had any corrosion issues.

It sounds like you’re using parts of the coat itself as a conductor? Perhaps that is the issue if I understand you correctly.
Old 22-03-2019, 05:05   #3

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

My GTO-15 wire connection to the backstay is lightly greased, clamped to the backstay, taped with Scotch 2228 Moisture Sealing Tape to keep the weather out, then over taped with Scotch Super 33+ electrical tape to protect the splice from the sun. I add new a layer of Super 33+ when the old one starts to look shabby.

When the connection was 3 or 4 years old, I cut it open. Inside it was like new. I
re-did the taping and have not messed with it since.
Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 05:19   #4

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

Bill Murdoch has done it right. The electrical tape protects the moisture sealing tape from UV and is easy to renew.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 09:52   #5

Boat: Taswell 43

But can't water/rain run down the individual cables of the backstay, under the taped and UV-protected connector, never dry out, and cause corrosion? We just put the lead from the tuner directly under a "U" cable clamp and leave it exposed, as directed by an electronics shop....no corrosion, but no protection either?
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 10:14   #6

Boat: Van de Stadt 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
But can't water/rain run down the individual cables of the backstay, under the taped and UV-protected connector, never dry out, and cause corrosion? We just put the lead from the tuner directly under a "U" cable clamp and leave it exposed, as directed by an electronics shop....no corrosion, but no protection either?
That is exactly what I have also, and the same for the balun connections, all bare and no protection, but I am getting corrosion after 3 or so months.
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 10:23   #7

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

Spray some Boeshield T9 or CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor on the wire stay above your sealed connection. It should penetrate the wire and minimize any wicking into the sealed connection. The sealing tape will conform very well to the outer diameter of the wire stay.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, corrosion, ssb