Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2017, 21:16   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Suggestions for painting a dinghy

I'm just about done with building and Eastport nesting pram. She will serve as the dinghy for my Tashiba-31. I've done a fair job of building the pram - but it's not perfect - there are epoxy runs, some tool marks, etc. Personally, as long as it rows well and doesn't sink I will be happy.

The plans call for multiple coats of primer followed with multiple coats of paint. The results are beautiful - but I'm not sure I want to invest the next 2 weeks into painting something that is just going to get banged up the first time I beach her.

Any suggestions for what to use for paint?

FYI - all surfaces have been covered with 3 coats of MAS epoxy (by design)
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 22:02   #2

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Re: Suggestions for painting a dinghy

I can't remember his name but a guy who was a chemical engineer for a paint company and also a rather prolific amateur boat builder recommended acrylic laytex house paint. Against my friends advice I decided to try it on my trawler. It didn't have the shine that my friend thought we should have so I sanded it off and used Bright Side which looks beautiful. Sanding that stuff off was a night mare! It was tough as the dickens and filled up sand paper very rapidly. For an experiment I left the house painted boot stripe on. Three years later the boot stripe still doesn't shine like a real "boat" paint but it looks about the same as it did when applied. If I were painting a work boat type dinghy I would use acrylic latex house paint. If you do I would like to hear how it works for you.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:52   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Whatever brand you use, go with two-part paint. It's so much more durable than one part paint it's not even funny. Yes, it costs more, but it makes up for it in durability. Could last past 4, 5, or 6 repaintings using single part paint.

I painted a canoe with two part paint 20 years ago. It still looks good (well, OK), and it gets lots of abuse. If I'd used one part paint I'd have repainted it probably at least 5 times by now.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:10   #4

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Whatever brand you use, go with two-part paint. It's so much more durable than one part paint it's not even funny. Yes, it costs more, but it makes up for it in durability. Could last past 4, 5, or 6 repaintings using single part paint.

I painted a canoe with two part paint 20 years ago. It still looks good (well, OK), and it gets lots of abuse. If I'd used one part paint I'd have repainted it probably at least 5 times by now.
Agree 2 parts are the way to go whatever your painting.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:23   #5

Boat: Tashiba-31

2 part paint?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:52   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

It's basically epoxy paint. Comes with two parts that you mix together before painting. Whatever you mix you have to use within a limited window because it does not dry, it cures.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 19:22   #7
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
It's basically epoxy paint. Comes with two parts that you mix together before painting. Whatever you mix you have to use within a limited window because it does not dry, it cures.

Usually linear polyurethane or acrylic, primers are generally modified epoxies, not topcoat. Just for the record. Epoxy based topcoat would suck, it has terrible UV resistance. Hence epoxy primer for the bond/stable substrate, LPU or acrylic for protecting said substrate from UV/gloss retention.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 19:36   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you use a softer, or less durable paint on a dinghy, anytime it rubs against something, you're running the risk of some of it rubbing off & leaving streaks on whatever it's rubbing on (the mothership's topsides & decks). Which is a PITA to clean up. Though this does tend to occur more with the bottom paints on dink's than their topcoat paint. But if you'll be hoisting it in & out of the water a lot, especially to stow her on the foredeck, then it's worth considering. Hence the 2-part (2-pack) paint comments above.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, paint