Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 19:50   #1

Boat: 1983 CS 36
CS36 Staysail Rigging

Can anyone help me find the information I need to set up a staysail rig for my 1983 CS36. The deck and mast hardware are there but I need staysail size and inner forestay specs.The PO was interested in racing only and did not keep the rigging or sail with the boat. I have tried the Owners Association but have not gotten any response. Any leads would help.
Steve.g.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 19:55   #2

Re: CS36 Staysail Rigging

Used to own one and rigged a staysail on it but can't remember the wire size. You should give some thought to considering a solent rig instead. Very versatile and a bit cheaper as no running backs are needed.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 20:08   #3

Boat: 1983 CS 36

I have a fitting on the mast and on the deck taken below to a bulkhead for the stay.These would set the inner stay about 48" behind the forestay. I wonder if this would be too far aft for a solent rig.
Steve.g.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 20:48   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.g.p View Post
I have a fitting on the mast and on the deck taken below to a bulkhead for the stay.These would set the inner stay about 48" behind the forestay. I wonder if this would be too far aft for a solent rig.
On wire size, same as your headstay, or maybe one size smaller. Since in storm conditions the load on a staysail & it's stay approaches that of the load on a good percentage of headstays.
Keep in mind too that Spectra/Dyneema or Dux is a good option here too.

Regarding the location of the stay & tack fitting on the deck, the sail doesn't much care whether it's in the "staysail" position, or a "Solent" position. At least not as long as you don't do something silly like build a sail with a 6:1 aspect ratio, where the real world lift to drag ratio isn't efficient anymore. And it's even possible to have an inner forestay that's setup so that it can be attached in either location. Staysail, or Solent.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1559595
Adding a Solent Stay - Practical Sailor Print Edition Article

In terms of measuring for the stay, can't you just go up the mast & stretch a tape measure between things? That or use a piece of spectra as an improvised tape, marking it with a marker at the appropriate place when things are stretched tight. And then measuring it later. Down at sea level.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging, sail