Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 04:26   #1

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Perfection PU painting question

I'm hoping I can get some advice before I paint my boat next month. 4 years ago I painted the topsides with Perfection PU paint (after a proper sanding and primer coat with EPA primer). The paint is OK (some scuffs) and since I'm going to haul the boat I might as well paint it again. My question is, can I just sand the old Perfection and paint over the sanded and cleaned surface with more Perfection? Or do I have to sand and primer again? The current coat of Perfection is not chipping, flaking or showing any signs of poor adherence.

Thanks in advance!
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 04:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Perfection PU painting question

Perfection “...can be applied directly over two-part catalyzed coatings, that are in good condition, by cleaning with Fiberglass Surface Prep YMA601.
Sand with 220 grit paper. Remove sanding residue with Brushing Reducer 2333N. Perfection should not be applied over conventional single
part enamels since the aggressive solvents in Perfection solvents in may cause lifting. Care should be taken not to sand through the old coating ...”
http://www.yachtpaint.com/Literature...fo-usa-eng.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 04:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Perfection “...can be applied directly over two-part catalyzed coatings, that are in good condition, by cleaning with Fiberglass Surface Prep YMA601.
Sand with 220 grit paper. Remove sanding residue with Brushing Reducer 2333N. Perfection should not be applied over conventional single
part enamels since the aggressive solvents in Perfection solvents in may cause lifting. Care should be taken not to sand through the old coating ...”
http://www.yachtpaint.com/Literature...fo-usa-eng.pdf
Thanks Gord! For some reason I couldn't find that information on the Brazilian International site.
Old 13-03-2017, 10:22   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Copa, I am just curious... did you spray or used a roller/brush?
4 years seems to be a very short time for an LPU paint to last.

I'm asking because I was doing research on a two paint system that I could be rolled and is repairable. My choices came down to Imron or Alexseal, since Awlcraft cannot be rolled.

I have since given up, Imron MS600 is not available in Canada and Alexseal is very expensive. I am now switching to Epifanes, for which I have seen stunning DYI results and although it is an LPU I saw a boat that had a patch fixed and it looks impressive. BTW, I have painted a whole boat and deck (my previous) with Awlgrip before, good paint but not very forgiving.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 10:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Copa, I am just curious... did you spray or used a roller/brush?
4 years seems to be a very short time for an LPU paint to last.

I'm asking because I was doing research on a two paint system that I could be rolled and is repairable. My choices came down to Imron or Alexseal, since Awlcraft cannot be rolled.

I have since given up, Imron MS600 is not available in Canada and Alexseal is very expensive. I am now switching to Epifanes, for which I have seen stunning DYI results and although it is an LPU I saw a boat that had a patch fixed and it looks impressive. BTW, I have painted a whole boat and deck (my previous) with Awlgrip before, good paint but not very forgiving.
It was sprayed, but not very well. I'm going to be painting other parts of the boat so I thought I'd just paint the topsides again. It still looks OK.
Old 14-03-2017, 07:01   #6

Boat: Sabre 402

"scuff marks" can also come from bumpers, dinghies, launches and lines chafing on the painted surface, even when the paint is new. If you scrape at it long enough, no paint is going to hold up. More than 10 years later our 2-part poly deck still looks fine - except for the places that have had wear on the surfaces.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint