Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2014, 11:45   #1

Boat: Morgan O/I 41
From El Salvador to Chile

Has anyone had experience with this journey? Anyone interested in a delivery job?
Old 13-03-2014, 11:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: From El Salvador to Chile

i love the difficult ones,what you paying?
Old 13-03-2014, 12:06   #3
Marine Service Provider

Please provide more details such as type of boat, intended destination port, planned departure date etc. Thanks!
Old 13-03-2014, 12:36   #4

Ok so this thread was started to get a better idea of what someone would pay or wanted to be paid to deliver the boat. Also how much time they would need to get it to its destination. I know this trip is not going to be easy and it will be against wind and current once past the equator. To get into specifics the vessel is a 1973 41ft Morgan Out Islander and is located in Bahia Del Sol El Salvador. I would like it delivered to Arica Chile which is where I am and from there I would take over heading south. I have a preference for the course and if it were me I would hit Coco Island Costa Rica and Galapagos Islands Ecuador for the most straight shot south with the most exotic stops. If you would rather take another course please let me know what you would prefer. I assume it would take someone about a 4-5 weeks to be delivered. If anyone would like to add input to this thread please do as I have never made this passage and Im calculating on boat speed of 100nm a day with at least a week for stops along the journey. I dont know if Coco has an immigration post yet which if not stopping on mainland CR would be necessary. This trip would not be done single handed and I would take a crew of 3. The boat does not have auto pilot and that means a driver at all times unless you rig it to steer itself which is possible. I am also open to buying one for this passage in El Salvador given the delivery captain knows how to install and use it. Then 2 could do this passage safely. Departure date would be as soon as possible and i was thinking of paying 3000 usd for the delivery plus 1000 for expenses. 2000 on departure and 2000 on arrival, any suggestions?
Old 13-03-2014, 12:50   #5
Marine Service Provider

Do you want someone to pay you or someone who wants to be paid? Is this a pleasure cruise or a delivery? You want a crew of 3--including or plus yourself? Do you want the crew or you to run the boat? You say you might want autopilot if the crew you hire will install it....for free? or for the going rate? Is this just to save money? How much will you save? You think that because of autopilot you would then only need two or one more to do this trip??? I know I'll get grief from some for asking all these questions and saying this, but it sounds as if you really need to do some serious thinking or rethinking or hire a consultant to help you figure all the ins and outs of this. I'm not even asking all the questions or saying all the things that are running through the mind right now.....but you're talking about a 40 year old boat that, well to put it nicely, is not really a bluewater ocean boat--yes--they can be..( I sailed an OI 33 from HAtteras to puerto rico) and no doubt some o1 41's have gone offshore but you should count on a lot of motoring on this trip as she will only sail about 60? 70? degrees off the wind???....so has the engine been replaced? It was probably an original perkins 4108 if I recall correctly. If so, with what and when? So please..are you looking for someone to pay you to join you? For a professional to run the boat? For a professional to assist you? or what? And finally....with all the information here and online elsewhere and by calling a few people in the business, it is pretty easy to figure what such a trip will likely cost--at least what a pro will charge you to get the job done. Thank you.....
Old 13-03-2014, 12:56   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

roughly 2300 miles,as the crow flies,though via cocos,galapagos nearer 3000.

looking at $6000 plus air fares food and fuel.

i have an auto pilot for deliveries such as this

would be inclined to go via puerto amistad, equador as galapagos is charging $1000 for a stop there
Old 13-03-2014, 13:53   #7
Marine Service Provider

The OP just edited his post to explain in more detail what he is looking to do and that is a help and much appreciated.
Old 13-03-2014, 13:55   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seastar41 View Post
Ok so this thread was started to get a better idea of what someone would pay or wanted to be paid to deliver the boat. Also how much time they would need to get it to its destination. I know this trip is not going to be easy and it will be against wind and current once past the equator. To get into specifics the vessel is a 1973 41ft Morgan Out Islander and is located in Bahia Del Sol El Salvador. I would like it delivered to Arica Chile which is where I am and from there I would take over heading south. I have a preference for the course and if it were me I would hit Coco Island Costa Rica and Galapagos Islands Ecuador for the most straight shot south with the most exotic stops. If you would rather take another course please let me know what you would prefer. I assume it would take someone about a 4-5 weeks to be delivered. If anyone would like to add input to this thread please do as I have never made this passage and Im calculating on boat speed of 100nm a day with at least a week for stops along the journey. I dont know if Coco has an immigration post yet which if not stopping on mainland CR would be necessary. This trip would not be done single handed and I would take a crew of 3. The boat does not have auto pilot and that means a driver at all times unless you rig it to steer itself which is possible. I am also open to buying one for this passage in El Salvador given the delivery captain knows how to install and use it. Then 2 could do this passage safely. Departure date would be as soon as possible and i was thinking of paying 3000 usd for the delivery plus 1000 for expenses. 2000 on departure and 2000 on arrival, any suggestions?
i see you edited your post,and added the 3k delivery fee,and 1k expenses.
assume the expenses are for air tickets and transferes?
Old 13-03-2014, 14:18   #9

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Yes, this will a cool voyage.
I have done Morgan Out Islander 41 in the past. Unfortunately the boat does do well windward. I sailed one from Fort Lauderdale to USVI, the infamous thorny path, we motor-sailed all the way.

I would recommend you to add an autopilot since it is nice to have after the boat gets to her destination.

Please keep us posted. Good luck.
Old 13-03-2014, 15:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i see you edited your post,and added the 3k delivery fee,and 1k expenses.
assume the expenses are for air tickets and transferes?
When I posted the 3000 usd that is payment for delivery. The 1000 was for food, fuel or fees that arise for the boat. I didnt include the flights in the amount yet because depending on where your from that will be different. Someone from El Salvador only needs one flight that cost 6-800 where as someone from Europe would be 2-3000 dollars for just the flights. I prefer someone that lives in Latin america so to keep the cost down. Thanks for all replies!!!
Old 13-03-2014, 15:23   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
When I posted the 3000 usd that is payment for delivery. The 1000 was for food, fuel or fees that arise for the boat. I didnt include the flights in the amount yet because depending on where your from that will be different. Someone from El Salvador only needs one flight that cost 6-800 where as someone from Europe would be 2-3000 dollars for just the flights. I prefer someone that lives in Latin america so to keep the cost down. Thanks for all replies!!!
thanks for making that clear,sent you a pm
Old 13-03-2014, 15:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Yes, this will a cool voyage.
I have done Morgan Out Islander 41 in the past. Unfortunately the boat does do well windward. I sailed one from Fort Lauderdale to USVI, the infamous thorny path, we motor-sailed all the way.

I would recommend you to add an autopilot since it is nice to have after the boat gets to her destination.

Please keep us posted. Good luck.
Hey rockdawg! You meant the boat does NOT do well windward? Yes I agree the Morgan O/I is a shallow full keel boat and not for fast sailing. I think hull speed is only 7-7.5 knots. Ive gotten 8-9 with the waves though haha. I would love to know which auto pilot works well with this boat and if anyone has a 1973 41ft morgan o/i which auto pilot do you use? These have hydrolic chain steering and its a center cockpit.
Old 13-03-2014, 15:34   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hey rockdawg! You meant the boat does NOT do well windward? Yes I agree the Morgan O/I is a shallow full keel boat and not for fast sailing. I think hull speed is only 7-7.5 knots. Ive gotten 8-9 with the waves though haha. I would love to know which auto pilot works well with this boat and if anyone has a 1973 41ft morgan o/i which auto pilot do you use? These have hydrolic chain steering and its a center cockpit.
autohelm 3000 works for me,drives the steering wheel directly.

a hydralic system,or ram is going to cost 3-4000 dollars
Old 13-03-2014, 15:41   #14

Paul Annapolis sent you a PM to your reply with all the questions
Old 13-03-2014, 15:43   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
autohelm 3000 works for me,drives the steering wheel directly.

a hydralic system,or ram is going to cost 3-4000 dollars
Thanks Again!

Tags
Chile