Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2017, 10:08   #1

Boat: Hunter 31
Head operation on Hunter 31

Hi all! Just trying to figure out a few last details on this boat. One thing is the use of the built in head. A bunch of levers around the bathroom area make it seem like I'm inside a Myst game. With the only drawback of sinking the boat if a wrong level is left open. Anyway can someone please indulge me in the proper operation of this unit? In particular I can't seem to figure how to fill the head with water. Here are some actual photos for reference (could not figure out how to embed):

http://imgur.com/a/OJyB0
takeajourny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 15:00   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Head operation on Hunter 31

If you'll send me an email, I can reply with the owner's manual for you toilet attached (can't attach anything to a forum post or private message. It will provide you with a little help to understand how it works...or is supposed to work. 'Cuz I can tell from your photos that it's very old, compounded by the fact the mfr is out of business, so you're not likely to find any repair for it. Even if you could, you'd just be throwing good money after bad to put even $1 into it. Best to replace it...you can buy a Jabsco manual toilet (an "entry level" toilet) for $150 or even less.

I can also see from your photos why you'd be mystified by all the levers--which, btw are seacocks. Seacocks open and close below-waterline thru-hulls (holes) in a boat. One of them is the flush water inlet thru-hull, the other is apparently a thru-hull through which the toilet discharges directly overboard (not legal in any US waters, so you'll need to install a holding tank if there isn't one on the boat.
I suggest you ask a dockmate to show you how they work. Meanwhile, keep 'em closed!

Manual marine toilets are not designed to bring water into the bowl and hold it. Each pump that brings water in also pushes it out... so it's necessary to use a cup from the sink to add water to the bowl ahead of use.

If you click on my name at the left of this post you'll see a choice sending me a PM or an email...choose email. I'll be glad to give you all the help you need to have a working sanitation system that's also legal.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 16:00   #3

Boat: Hunter 31
Re: Head operation on Hunter 31

That would be great! I'll pm/email you in just a moment.
takeajourny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, hunter