Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2018, 14:17   #1

Boat: Beneteau Farr 50
Cartagena Columbia Doctor referral?

Hi all,

A crew member came down with a lung infection and the doctor here at a "clinic" prescribed antibiotics and rest. He got worse 2 days later.

Anyone know a good doctor near the old town or walled city or anywhere that the cruisers feel confident in enough to get him well? Thank you!!
JackMcD111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 14:37   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Cartagena Columbia Doctor referral?

Take a taxi to the hospital. I don't know where it is--I asked the taxi driver to take me there, somewhere in Manga. Got through Dengue for $40.
Old 24-01-2018, 15:37   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Also most consulates maintain a list of recommended docs. Usually downloadable from their web site.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 00:55   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

when we were there a few years ago we had an ortho problem and there was a recommendation of an ortho doc is a cruising guide I think or on line - forget - but he spoke English and taught at the university - it was a hand surgery problem and he said he was not qualified but sitting next to him was a hand guy who did an excellent job - I bet this same ortho doc can point you in the right direction -- good luck
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 08:09   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to bootsie1

Try getting prednizone.
And an inhalor
Justgot over a lung infection and have had one 3times before
Prednizone
Quick fix 5 mg x3 per da for 3days 5mgpd for 3days . 5mgx3dsys that should do it .
bootsie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 08:14   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I agree with bootsie-don't stop the antibiotics, but if the doctor doesn't prescribe an inhaler, go see another doctor.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 09:36   #7

Hi, my experience with Medics in Colombia is pretty good. Their standard of training is as good as any I have seen,and better than a good couple of countries.
Very little history to go on. An other crew members sick? Who was infected first. How long ago did the first symptoms present, and what were they? How did the disease progress? Initial infection occurred where? Airport transits? Exposure to noxious fumes, such as paint stripper, ammonia, bleach? Check boat for bacterial and fungal colonies, presence of black mold? Do get a profile as complete as possible to the examining Doc. It may be helpful to get some Sputum or Vomit into a sterile or boiled container, if there is any. This can then be "cultured" and tested for sensitivity or resistance of pathogens to a series of antibiotics.Helps to get the right diagnosis, identify the pathogen and select the right remedy. Unless there is a serious allergic reaction to the antibiotic, don't discontinue taking it. But do take the container to the Doc, and the receipt or name of the clinic and the examining Doc. There will be notes that could assist. If there is a history of infections, or lung function deficits, it would help to get as much info as possible to the Doc. Lung issues need serious respect and attention, they can become chronic, or worse, life threatening.
Help the Doc help you! Hope your crew member gets better, and no others are cross infected! Fair winds!
Biomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 12:59   #8

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsie1 View Post
Try getting prednizone.
And an inhalor
Justgot over a lung infection and have had one 3times before
Prednizone
Quick fix 5 mg x3 per da for 3days 5mgpd for 3days . 5mgx3dsys that should do it .

Prednisone might make you feel better while taking it, but taking it for an infection is a good way to get more sick, quicker. Steroids suppress the immune system. A good exam is what’s needed.
Old 25-01-2018, 13:59   #9

Agree with sawbonz. I tried to give some sort of framework to assist. Self medication when medical professionals are available is not recommended. Last thing the immune system needs when it may have been overwhelmed by a bug is an immune depressant. The medication group referred to can be helpful with cases such as asthma when there is a severe attack (status asthmaticus) or serious discomfort in moderate or severe obstructive or restrictive pulmonary disorders. Also helpful with overactive immune responses such as in allergic conditions. Bad news in the treatment of an acute lung infection. Get a thorough examination soon and provide the Doc with as much info as possible. Tracking the infection progress can be very helpful, as there may be an "exotic bug" in play, picked up at a previous destination. Incubation times can be short or quite long. If the bug is multiple or extreme resistant and a bit of a?? how to treat it in Colombia, the Docs at the location where infection occurred may have experience how to treat, unknown to the Colombian Doc. I have a patient population from all over the world presenting with bugs not responsive to local standard treatment protocols. They work all over the world in the oil business, and work on oil platforms in the North Sea as well.
To help these guys, I need lots of info, that then goes into the pot. What I posted are some questions I ask to give me direction when treating sailors or oil rig guys. Very useful and unexpected stuff falls out of the tree when I shake it and can make the difference between an "experimental" or exploratory investigation and getting it right first time if possible. Fair winds!
Biomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 07:23   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to bootsie1

Very interesting information. I always say tell me whats wrong with you and I will tell you what to do.
It may not help you but it will never hurt you.
Maybe in this instance I might stand corrected, but when you cannot brearhe you will do anything

I have had lung ........ 4 times in the last 3
20+ years and the prednizone saved me every time.
I hate drugs but penicillin and prednizone is alway in my travel kit ar well as arnica cream an various elastics from the $ store.
bootsie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 13:16   #11
Marine Service Provider

Hello. I can not recommend a doctor in Cartagena; however, this may be a time to consider SkyMed. We are a premier emergency evacuation company for residents of US/Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean, and bring you home in the event of a serious medical emergency. We have a Nautical Plan specifically designed for the cruising community and even look after your boat during treatment. Please contact me for more information: pamela.bendall@skymed.com
Pamela Bendall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cartagena, columbia