Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2018, 21:30   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Spring cleaning (inside and out); what products?

I'm looking to do some Spring cleaning on the boat... general maintenance, as well as some black "stuff" in hard-to-reach places. Looking to clean the boat inside and out. What products do you use and recommend?

What should I do to do the first-scrub after the Winter and what should I use on a daily/weekly schedule for maintenance and proper smell/look?

I have a 2011 Jeanneau 40-foot monohull.

Thank you in advance for any help
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 12:32   #2

Boat: Aloha 8.2
Re: Spring cleaning (inside and out); what products?

I just took on a boat that was on the hard for 2 seasons. had some oxidation and the ol black streaks outside...interior was not bad at all, mostly surface dirt/etc. I used Simple green cut 50/50 with water.. and splashed on some Go-Jo on a few tougher spots...using a fairly soft deck brush. rinsed, dried with a micro fiber towel and did the hull and deck(except non-skid) with 3M fiberglass cleaner and wax, spreading a thin coat on a small area at a time, working it with a rotary sander with 7 inch wool buffing pad at 1500 rpm, and got great results. not sure how im gonna tackle rails and such yet....hopefully someone will post a neat tip for that. Enjoy the chore,,its a labor of love!!
Hoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 12:59   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Spring cleaning (inside and out); what products?

If you have mold, you need something that will kill it, not just clean the surface. Otherwise it just comes back or sends spores somewhere else. I use a mild bleach solution or add bleach to whatever solution I clean with.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning