Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2016, 14:56   #46

Re: Crazy Idea? Beneteau 331 to NZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
The OP was probably confused by the stupid list on the site he linked to
Well this list does not include any high production French mono hulls, so lots of company. I think the long and short of it is that the author does not think full liner boats are designed for continuous offshore use.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 17:16   #47

Boat: a sailing boat

That one is a very old list.

That one is a list made up by people doing commercial sailing.

That list is just a list and cannot contain all boats.

That list was written by someone, from their individual view point.

Etc.

No point in discussing that list all that much.

A sound, well maintained and prepared B331 will have as much of an adventure as any other similar sized boat on the same route. Like anything, she will ask for good seamanship.

The last leg from the islands to NZ is where things get interesting. Sail it well and hope for the best.

BTW I think more boats run into dire trouble there sailing out of NZ rather than sailing to NZ.

Ask Mark what his boat is. Look at what Webb sailed to and from NZ.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 17:21   #48

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
$55,000 for a 20 year old boat would be too rich for me even if it was only used in fresh water because after a year in salt you have a 21 year old boat that was very expensive.

Pete
Moreover, many of those freshwater boats are not as well equipped as a boat based in the Caribbean. For example, that Bene 321 does not have a house battery. Compare to my 323 that had half the age, much better equipment ( batteries, ground tackle, etc) and 20 per cent lower price.

Sent from my SM-G9287 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 07:00   #49

Has anyone been watching La Vagabonde videos on YouTube. These kids are almost back to Australia from the eastern Mediterranean on a Beneteau 40 (or thereabouts).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sailrfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 01:57   #50

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
$55,000 for a 20 year old boat would be too rich for me even if it was only used in fresh water because after a year in salt you have a 21 year old boat that was very expensive.Pete
Nope ! You have a sailboat that has sailed 20 years in fresh water, 6 months a year and 1 year in salt water. Moreover, the second owner was a MD with money & no time to sail while the last before me was a retired gentleman who spent more time keeping his baby shipshape than actually sailing Cheers.
PS: My Ericson 34 is my 5th sailboat & I've been sailing since 1970 & offshore sailing since 1976 ... I know a sound offshore sailboat when I see one. In USA/Canada you have tons of used sailboats that shouldn't go offshore. Many people buy nice looking newer sailboats that are dangerous above force 5. I remember walking on the roof of a great "looking" O'Day 34... the sandwich roof was contaminated with water, but appart from that it was really attractive (Picture of a sistership)...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ODay-34.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	127892  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 09:49   #51
WKW

So what happened with this idea???? The Beneteau 331 got an ok off shore rating "but" WTF! As for people trying to decide to between old and robust build or modern and light build. I think the decision here is obvious. For a 33 foot boat, you will want a more robust built boat with lots of storage. Unfortunately when you get it home you'll have a overly built, old salt type boat for local cruising. If you want a modern design, maybe go bigger with Beneteau...you'll have lots of storage, modern design and the size to handle unexpected rough seas. When you get home you'll have a home on the water cruiser with lots of comforts.
WKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 11:42   #52

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heynekamp View Post
A boat that is in the $40-$50k range in the US is comparably in the $150k+ range in New Zealand.
You forgot to mention the part about how many boats there are advertised in New Zealand for $150k that sit there for several years until they actually sell at half the price. It's a destination for many people doing the same thing, and there are any number of boats in good condition that are kitted out in the US or Med nicely (with lots of photographs) and are then advertised here, alongside lovely photos of how smart the boat looked four, five, or six years ago. They don't look like that any more.

I'm sure it's possible to have a world trip for "free" (ok, excluding the missed income of locking up the capital for that long), by buying cleverly in the Med and bringing a reasonably desirable boat back here, but to actually make a significant profit on the deal you would be very lucky.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 11:44   #53

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

With regard to the boat size, it's certainly doable but I would personally not because of how uncomfortable it'd be. If you're wanting to sell in NZ for 150k you would want to be selling a really nice 40-45 footer with all the equipment not too broken nor looking like someone had lived on it for years, and not too out of date. That would also be a much more pleasant boat to do the trip in.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 11:52   #54
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crazy Idea? Beneteau 331 to NZ?

Quote:
Am I crazy for thinking that a Beneteau 331 or similar could be sailed to New Zealand? Not looking for a family experience or anything other than simply wanting to sail it vs. shipping it to NZ. This trip would be made as quickly as possible, minimal stopping other than for ideal weather windows, and the only purpose to ferry it to NZ.

Assuming an experienced crew, minimalistic mods for safe bluewater sailing, is this a crazy idea seeing how a boat like this is not on any of the 'approved/recommended' bluewater/offshore boat lists (like: Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising Instruction )

Let the comments fly!
No its not crazy.. the boat.. if French built is more than capable..
I have sailed a Bene 321 solo non stop SXM to the UK (47 days) and a 331 solo via the Azores to Portugal.
If a US build check for undersized screws internally.
But it is very doable in the right seasons and following safe routes.. try and avoid the temptation of poorly charted atolls in the French Pacific..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 15:11   #55
WKW

Maybe the Beneteau 321 made in the USA is not up to European standards. I'm in the market for a 32+ footer and checked out a 1998 321(not a charter boat). That thing was in sad shape. Crazing all over the decks, the cockpit floor had some flex around the helm, the Pulpit/sternrails/stanchions were a lot cheaper made than the Catalina 320's and flexed easily when I pulled on them. What I do like is that beautiful solon, nice aft cabin and finally that lead bulb shoal keel! Much better than a wing if you run aground. I will look at a Beneteau 331 in hopes that it will be made more robust and all hardware will be stronger. Unfortunately this 331 has the Westerbeke....I heard some bad things about this engine but maybe not a deal breaker. What are your thoughts comparing the 321 and 331 besides the obvious weight/size difference?
Old 23-03-2018, 15:17   #56
WKW

Maybe the Beneteau 321 made in the USA is not up to European standards. I'm in the market for a 32+ footer and checked out a 1998 321(not a charter boat). That thing was in sad shape. Crazing all over the decks, the cockpit floor had some flex around the helm, the Pulpit/sternrails/stanchions were a lot cheaper made than the Catalina 320's and flexed easily when I pulled on them. What I do like is that beautiful solon, nice aft cabin and finally that lead bulb shoal keel! Much better than a wing if you run aground. I will look at a Beneteau 331 in hopes that it will be made more robust and all hardware will be stronger. Unfortunately this 331 has the Westerbeke....I heard some bad things about this engine but maybe not a deal breaker. What are your thoughts comparing the 321 and 331 besides the obvious weight/size difference?
Old 23-03-2018, 22:55   #57

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 411

If you want the experience then do it, if you try to save some money I’m not sure it’s a good idea. I’ve just bought my Bene a couple of months ago here in NZ. I checked all the possibilities. Bring a boat from Europe, USA, Australia. I found that with all the additional cost, you not likely to save much money, but the real problem is the unknown. How much you’ll spend during your search in US, how much will be to prepare the boat for the trip, how much you need to spend on offshore equipments, how much you need to spend on things break during the trip + tax, duty, provisioning, tickets for the crew etc.
I’ve seen some Bene listed on trademe for years ($60-80). I’d have a look.

Good luck with your search!
PeterSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 17:57   #58

Boat: 2003 Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
No its not crazy.. the boat.. if French built is more than capable..
I have sailed a Bene 321 solo non stop SXM to the UK (47 days) and a 331 solo via the Azores to Portugal.
If a US build check for undersized screws internally.
But it is very doable in the right seasons and following safe routes.. try and avoid the temptation of poorly charted atolls in the French Pacific..
Boatman - I have a 331 that I believe was built in the US (South Carolina). When you say check for undersized screws internally...are you referring to keel bolts? 4 seasons in, I'm just trying to best learn and fully understand my boat and your comment caught my attention. Thanks for any additional insight that you can provide. Appreciate your time.

Joe

S/V Azimuth
2003 Beneteau 331
JoeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 04:07   #59

Boat: Island Packet 29

Quote:
Looking at buying in the US. Really looking at any of the 30-40 boats including Catalinas, Hunters, Beneteaus. A boat that is in the $40-$50k range in the US is comparably in the $150k+ range in New Zealand. If there were a safe, reasonable way to sail it efficiently from the US to NZ thought it may make sense. I recognize these aren't "offshore bluewater" boats but if the timing were done right in regards to seasons and weather without a lot of "going slow enjoying the islands" would this make sense? Or does shipping it only make true sense?
Wont you have to pay a mountain of taxes on it when you arrive? Theres a reason those boats in NZ are so expensive I believe..
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau