Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2016, 08:25   #1

Cancun to Belize

I'm looking for recommendations/suggestions for places to dock on the way from Cancun to Belize city. If there aren't places to dock, does anyone have recommendations of good places to anchor? It seems marina options are limited south of Puerto Aventuras. Through using active captain I see that sailors have identified anchorages, but I'd value more opinions about good places to anchor. I've got a 30 foot long sailboat with 4 ft draft.

Thank you,
Bryan
Gruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 08:53   #2

Re: Cancun to Belize

You need the Cruising Guide to eastern Mexico and Belize by F Rausher. Most info was very accurate when written. It was my bible for 3 years. You will have at least one overnight sail on the last leg but there are some great anchorages before that. No marinas. (2011 last time that I made that trip).
velerocliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 11:27   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

+ 1 for the Freya guide, essential reading and will identify the anchorages although be aware it is now quite dated as their last update was around 2006 IIRC.

Also do not fully rely on your chart plotter as they can be up to ½ a mile off. Marinas are few and far between from Isla Mujeras down to Placencia

I always go straight from Isla Mujeras to Belize and do not stop on the way making use of the nice strong south bound current.

If you are brave AND the weather is good you can enter Belize through the reef at San Pedro and check in there.

Another option is to enter Belize near English Caye/the main Shipping Chanel for Belize City, much less scary and can be done at night. I WOULD NOT recommend anchoring off Belize City itself and would not check in there either as it can be very expensive

There is a marina about 8 miles south of Belize city called Cucumber beach see Marina | Old Belize Adventure Cultural and Historical Center, check if they have space.

There are also a few Marinas in Southern Belize around Placencia area.

Enjoy
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 17:03   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins

Cucumber beach is great marina but be sure you don't check in there. The officials will charge you for taxi fare out there about 50US and they all come separately.
Old 14-03-2016, 17:13   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins

I have a bunch of charts created with GE2KAP that may prove useful to you. You can follow this link for them:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...hint=folder%2c
Old 14-03-2016, 17:25   #6

Boat: Hunter 27

We went into Bahia de la Ascension to break up the trip from Belize to Yucatan. Tried to leave the next day but the trades made it too uncomfortable. So went back and spent several days. We tucked behind punta Allen and found calm waters even with a 6' keel. There was a small dingy dock and a trail that went to a village on the ocean side. We didn't see another boat during the stay. Ran out of cat food so feed her fresh barracuda. Became one of her favorite anchorages!!
misssherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 17:42   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Given that your destination is Belize City, I agree with Triumphant, enter via Eastern Channel (by English Caye) and proceed to Cucumber Beach to check in. Yes, there will be some additional cost, but it certainly is the most convenient option given that's where you are bound anyway.

Talk with the marina first and see what you can do to coordinate official travel to keep cost down. They will call officials for you. Actual cab fare is between BZ$30 - BZ$50 (Belize dollars)....some officials may add fees, Ive paid actual cost, but its inconsistent (expect on weekends or holidays when they all charge more...even if they are normally working!).

....from...Cucumber Beach Marina! ; )
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 08:50   #8

Thanks everyone, the replies and information are greatly appreciated!!
Gruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 08:34   #9

Boat: Morgan 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
I always go straight from Isla Mujeras to Belize and do not stop on the way making use of the nice strong south bound current.
Triumphant, how close to shore do you find the south-setting current? I assume it's an eddy?

I'm planning to go from Isla Mujeres to San Pedro or the main channel, but the north-setting current along that 200 miles (2 to 3 knots according to Rauscher's charts) doesn't look appealing. I'm even considering going from Cienfuegos to Cayman and from there straight to Belize, bypassing Mexico altogether. But we were looking forward to provisioning in Mexico... decisions, decisions
enovillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 12:24   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

QUOTE=enovillo;2124353]Triumphant, how close to shore do you find the south-setting current? I assume it's an eddy?

I'm planning to go from Isla Mujeres to San Pedro or the main channel, but the north-setting current along that 200 miles (2 to 3 knots according to Rauscher's charts) doesn't look appealing. I'm even considering going from Cienfuegos to Cayman and from there straight to Belize, bypassing Mexico altogether. But we were looking forward to provisioning in Mexico... decisions, decisions[/QUOTE]

Opps this was a typo I meant Belize to Isla Mujeras not the other way, 2 to 3 knots of current going North is about right

When leaving Isla Mujeras for Belize, if you leave at first light or better still anchor off Cancun the night before and leave at dawn, you can get a fair way down the coast going south before sunset by hugging the coast. You need to stay inside the 75 foot depth contour (50 foot is better) and you will be out of most of the current. This should get you well south of Cancun before you loose the light.

After that, go out to sea a safe distance and slug the current south, it is not too bad, it may take you 4 – 5 days as opposed to 2 days going north.

I delivered a 40 foot Leopard Cat from Isla Mujeras to Placencia under sail (stopping once over night) recently and it took us 4 days

I am told you need to at least 100 miles off the coast to miss the current but have never done this myself, certainly 60 miles was not enough,

Other thoughts
I do remember leaving Cienfuegos for Isla Mujeras and having to factor the current in.

Another option could be to enter Belize through the main ship channel and go down to Placencia to check in
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 16:46   #11

Boat: Seafarer36c

Sailing very close to shore also works but you need to be close. We can't be that close at night so we stop at either Bahi's de la Ascension or Todos Santos.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Belize, cancun