Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2016, 20:15   #1

Boat: Tartan 3700
BVI charter - dive options with divers and non-divers

Hey all,

We're chartering in the BVI the week of Thanksgiving.

There are four of us, two experienced divers and two (me included) who have only snorkeled. We thought we might be able to get the first two classes for the certification done in Seattle before we left but I don't think it's going to happen.

So instead, we're looking for options with two divers and two non-divers. Here's what I've come up with...

1. Rent tanks (they have their own gear) and dive off the boat. I’ve heard the commercial dive buoys are closer to the best parts of the dives sites but this seems like a decent option for a couple dives. Are there places to fill the tanks we can get to by dinghy?

2. Commercial dive boat rendevous package. There are a few companies that will do a 3 or 4 dive package but it seems like most that will meet you at your location need a 4 person minimum so that’s not really an option.

3. Commercial dive boat group trip. These look like they leave from the marinas so we could drop off the two divers in the morning before the dives and pick them up afterwards.

Anyway, that’s basically all I can think of…any other suggestions or ideas?

Brian
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 20:44   #2

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: BVI charter - dive options with divers and non-divers

You can do classroom and pool here, dives there. Most dive courses can accommodate you.
Another option is doing the course there in full. Both my sons,did their full course in a few days at a resort. But you won't be sailing much.
The other option is to stick to what you know. Let them dive, you snorkel and everything is easy.
Have fun
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 21:07   #3

Cooper Island has a dive shop. You can leave the sailboat there and go diving with them. There are a few good sites near there including the Rhone. Snorkelers can also go on the dive boat for snorkeling or stay at Cooper and snorkel from shore. That time of year I don't think meeting a minimum number of divers would be a problem.
SailSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 09:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
You can do classroom and pool here, dives there. Most dive courses can accommodate you.
Another option is doing the course there in full. Both my sons,did their full course in a few days at a resort. But you won't be sailing much.
The other option is to stick to what you know. Let them dive, you snorkel and everything is easy.
Have fun
We originally planned to do the classroom/pool stuff here but probably aren't going to be able to make it happen so I think we'll stick with what we know. I don't want to cut in to my sailing time to do the full certification while we're there!
Old 27-10-2016, 09:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailSC View Post
Cooper Island has a dive shop. You can leave the sailboat there and go diving with them. There are a few good sites near there including the Rhone. Snorkelers can also go on the dive boat for snorkeling or stay at Cooper and snorkel from shore. That time of year I don't think meeting a minimum number of divers would be a problem.
Thanks, we'll check them out.

How are the northern anchorages in the southern islands (the ones protected by Tortola) in a north swell? A lot of the most popular anchorages don't look like they'd be too comfortable in a north swell if we end up with one.
Old 27-10-2016, 10:09   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 57

The northern anchorages will be uncomfortable in a north swell. There aren't many comfortable anchorages in a north swell - I prefer the North Sound, but have found that Diamond Cay is very calm as well.
Old 27-10-2016, 10:58   #7

Boat: Nauticat 43

I would think getting certified to dive in the BVI would be a great experience. I got certified to dive after a week in the Keys. You don't indicate that either of your two experienced diving friends are diving instructors, so I applaud your inclination to stick to snorkeling only. I know several people who thought scuba diving would be fun but they couldn't meet some certification requirement and they decided to limit themselves to snorkeling. Scuba diving can definitely be fun, but it is a dangerous and risky sport that has led some to death. If you wait until you're properly trained and can demonstrate mastery of some critical activities, then you will participate in scuba diving with all the confidence you've earned.
Ded reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 11:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
The northern anchorages will be uncomfortable in a north swell. There aren't many comfortable anchorages in a north swell - I prefer the North Sound, but have found that Diamond Cay is very calm as well.
Alright, thanks...guess we'll wait and see!
Old 27-10-2016, 11:58   #9

Boat: Shopping

At popular sites, like the wreck of the Rhone, a dive boat will probably meet you even for two, as they will be bringing other divers with them. At the Rhone, for instance, you can pick up a ball about 100 yards from the site; the dive boat will pick your divers up and then pick up a dedicated ball directly over the wreck.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 13:15   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

Hi Brian

I will be down the same time as you. We have a mixed group as well, two of us are Divemasters and one Advanced, the rest all non divers. Seeing as it is primarily a sailing vacation, the diving comes second for us and I totally agree with your point about not monopolizing time getting your certs there. You will already be busy enough.

One dive site that can be enjoyed by all would be the Indians on Norman. People can snorkel the caves while divers explore the Indians themselves. Dog Island can be enjoyed by both groups as well.

We are only planning to dive the Rhone, the Indians and maybe Dog for the same reasons. I have never really considered the BVI as a "dive location" and I grew up there. There are much better places in the world for diving. Avoid the temptation if one of the divers in your party offers you a tank and some gear "to try it out". It may seem benign enough but things can go up upside down very quickly.

Caribbean Divers will delver tanks to your boat for the divers of the group or if you don't feel like lugging them around on the boat, your party can pick up tanks on Cooper and Norman. Just about every inhabited island has a refill station.

A North Swell will make for uncomfortable anchorages on the North side of Tortola, like Cane Garden Bay, Brewers or some of the spots up near Camanoe but anything in the Drake Channel will be sheltered. We may get lucky and not have a North swell just yet.

I see you have a C&C 99. Great boat. I used to race them at Key West Race Week when they first came out and had their own start. ( Hull #51 ) Beat the designer, Tim Jackett sailing Rabbit both times!
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 13:45   #11

Great information, Pete, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
I will be down the same time as you.
What boat will you be on? I'll keep an eye out in case we cross paths along the way.

Quote:
You will already be busy enough.
I'm captain/skipper on this trip (like all the others I've been on actually) so I'm sure I'll have plenty to do to keep busy!

Quote:
One dive site that can be enjoyed by all would be the Indians on Norman. People can snorkel the caves while divers explore the Indians themselves. Dog Island can be enjoyed by both groups as well.
Great, I talked to the two divers and they're on board with doing a couple trips on their own and the rest at good sites for all of us, so I think it'll work out well.

Quote:
Caribbean Divers will delver tanks to your boat for the divers of the group or if you don't feel like lugging them around on the boat, your party can pick up tanks on Cooper and Norman. Just about every inhabited island has a refill station.
If they rented tanks at one location do you know if other locations will fill them or are there restrictions for the rental tanks?

Quote:
...anything in the Drake Channel will be sheltered
This is what I was hoping...

Quote:
I see you have a C&C 99.
Going on four years now! I'm really happy with it (well, except for the dark blue gelcoat which is a pain in the ass to maintain.) Great boat for the light summer winds up here...keeps us sailing longer than a lot of others. I usually race on other peoples boats but I want to get this one out one of these years. And congrats on beating the designer, must have been a fun race ;-)

Thanks again for the info!
Old 27-10-2016, 15:26   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

Hi Brian

My boat is an ex Sunsail Jeanneau 36i. Her name is Sun Fox and we will be in tandem with another 36i.

There are various tank refill stations along the way. Refills range from $4 to $10 per fill and I believe you can buy refill cards of 10. If you rent your tanks from Caribbean Divers, you can simply exchange, empty for full at either of their shops on Norman or Cooper as well as have them refilled at other locations. I have attached a pdf map for refill locations.

Do you know which boat you will be on? I will keep an eye out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Diving-Airfill-Map-2015.pdf (110.3 KB, 39 views)
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 20:36   #13

Quote:
Hi Brian
If you rent your tanks from Caribbean Divers, you can simply exchange, empty for full at either of their shops on Norman or Cooper as well as have them refilled at other locations. I have attached a pdf map for refill locations.

Thanks, that's going to help us figure out what to do!

We're on a Conch Charter Beneteau 43...don't know the name yet...we started out with eight people and moments before we had to confirm it dropped to four...so we went with what kept us within the original budget. I'll respond here or message you when I find out.

Brian
Old 27-10-2016, 21:46   #14

Quote:
Hi Brian

My boat is an ex Sunsail Jeanneau 36i. Her name is Sun Fox and we will be in tandem with another 36i.

There are various tank refill stations along the way. Refills range from $4 to $10 per fill and I believe you can buy refill cards of 10. If you rent your tanks from Caribbean Divers, you can simply exchange, empty for full at either of their shops on Norman or Cooper as well as have them refilled at other locations. I have attached a pdf map for refill locations.

YES to Caribbean Divers...much better to exchange than wait around for a refill. As of last week, the dive shops had very limited times they were open.....check before you rent.
Old 27-10-2016, 21:50   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
True....Last week we made the mistake of sailing across to Cane Garden Bay from Jost because of the high southerly winds in our face making for an uncomfortable anchorage. Cane was WORSE with the northern ground swell....one cat in particular was REALLY getting beat up close to shore....big ass rollers.

Tags
charter