Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 13:55   #61

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53
Re: Beneteau vs. Jeanneau?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Understand they are owned by the same company and each has several production lines but are there any quality differences between these two brands?

In GM terms, is it Chevrolet vs. Cadillac or Pontiac vs. Buick or Oldsmobile?
There are two new Beneteaus in our marina. Both have been plagued with major problems. If it were me, I would favor Jeanneau. Although they re the same manufacturer, I think Jeanneau is a better boat.
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 14:00   #62

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
There are two new Beneteaus in our marina. Both have been plagued with major problems. If it were me, I would favor Jeanneau. Although they re the same manufacturer, I think Jeanneau is a better boat.
I posted that question 8 months ago and have since come to believe that Jeanneau's might not be "better" boats but they do feel like they are "nicer" boats.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 14:45   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
I posted that question 8 months ago and have since come to believe that Jeanneau's might not be "better" boats but they do feel like they are "nicer" boats.
I'm glad I could confirm your findings ~ 8 months later
Old 11-08-2014, 00:46   #64

Quote:
Can you share what their problems seem to be?
I would be very interested to know what size they are and what the issue is.
Gentle Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:39   #65

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Quote:

One minor thing, and perhaps this goes to further make your point: They are not necessarily the same manufacturer. They have the same corporate parent but the two companies have their own separate leadership, design, and in the case of France based production, separate production lines and craftsman*. Sometimes things overlap and Group Benetau likes to share economies of scale but they are still two distinctly produced products just like Lagoon and Waiquez which are also Group Benetau subsidiaries.

*Caveat here is that for the hull IDs that are made in the US, the two brands do share the same production line.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:38   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Breeze View Post
Can you share what their problems seem to be?
I would be very interested to know what size they are and what the issue is.
Both have been plagued with blisters. Both have had bits of trim fall off from the interior carpentry. One of the vessels had a failure with the drop down transom (there is no manual backup for this failure). The other vessel has issues with COMPLETE and total power failures that the Beneteau service dealer can't seem to identify or correct. The list goes on. One of the owners is currently suing the Beneteau dealer to have them take the vessel back. This same owner has experienced leaks at the sail drive unit and has had the vessel hauled 3 times in the past year (this is when they became aware of the blisters)
Old 15-08-2014, 04:41   #67

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Reading these posts since my last question, it appears this anecdotal evidence highlights the value of buying a used model of these boats so the kinks have been sorted out by original owner. And the choice between a Beneteau or Jeanneau vs a Dufour (smaller builder) also drives the number of fitted out and broken in boats available in the local market to a buyer at any one time.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 08:26   #68

Well, if I may put in my 2 cents. First please understandably I am not at the level of most of you, but I would like to share what I have found over the past 2 weeks of looking over the Beni vs Jeann conundrum. I am looking at a boat that will satisfy the ICW water way problems and a good coastal sailor with most room. Hence what I have tried to compare is a Benenteau Oceanis 48 to a Jeanneau 50DS, both are under 50' or so and will fit under the bridges fine... I have spoken with both sides from a dealer stand point, and what a difference I saw, mostly in attitude about a sale verses being sure I got what fit what I wanted. I have been on both extensively, but not sailed the Oceanis 48 yet, the Jeni 50 Deck solon was a dream of a sailor.

When I looked at what was for sail on the used list, as I have found this to be a good indicator and indicative of what works and doesn't, I found 2 time the Beni's vs the Jenni's. And only four 50DS in the US (very few to say the least)... That coupled with one less electronic thing to go wrong (drop down transom) I am leaning well to the Jeanneau 50DS.

Understandably this is not a ocean crosser, buthas been seen on the high seas crossing great expanses. Limited tankage for water and fuel make her less then desirable then others, lack of good hand holds for rough seas and the list goes on. But that is not what I am looking at her for.

So I will post this question, would you upgrade to the engine from a 75 to the 110 hp? great for rougher seas but burns more fuel.... not really sure about this, any takers?
Old 15-08-2014, 08:43   #69

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

first let me clarify -- we sail a Jeanneau 40DS and are unabashed fans of Jeanneau -- we did do a 2 person atlantic crossing after sailing the east coast of the usa 3 times all the bahamas 2 times and the caribbean from mexico to colombia and across to jamaica and down to trinidad and back to antigua before crossing

she is rugged boat and a great sailing boat with inmast furling - easy to handle and as we are old easy on the old folks.

we have seen a bunch of bennies and in our opinion they are just not built at well as a Jeanneau - ours was built in France

we have a lot of miles under her keel and we just think she is a better built boat -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 08:54   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
first let me clarify -- we sail a Jeanneau 40DS and are unabashed fans of Jeanneau -- we did do a 2 person atlantic crossing after sailing the east coast of the usa 3 times all the bahamas 2 times and the caribbean from mexico to colombia and across to jamaica and down to trinidad and back to antigua before crossing

she is rugged boat and a great sailing boat with inmast furling - easy to handle and as we are old easy on the old folks.

we have seen a bunch of bennies and in our opinion they are just not built at well as a Jeanneau - ours was built in France

we have a lot of miles under her keel and we just think she is a better built boat -
I appreciate your comment, And I am quite impressed with your repertoire especially for some old folks (LOL WINK) and true as you say, am finding out that she is used a lot in ARC. The Jeanneau's hold quite a place in the line up in many of the rallies, I am more and more impressed as I dig to find the truth about this choice.

Any input on the upgrade for the engine?
Old 15-08-2014, 10:14   #71

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Breeze View Post
I appreciate your comment, And I am quite impressed with your repertoire especially for some old folks (LOL WINK) and true as you say, am finding out that she is used a lot in ARC. The Jeanneau's hold quite a place in the line up in many of the rallies, I am more and more impressed as I dig to find the truth about this choice.

Any input on the upgrade for the engine?

Who said anything about an ARC -- we distain ARCS -- to us it is nothing but a party time, false security, and they tell you what you need, when to go ect --
We don't need that from anyone -- we decide what we need and we decide when we will sail - and we don't need a party on either end - oh and we don't do rallies either. when we get to someplace we find interesting we stay when it is not interesting we leave - we sail to our schedule
sorry to be abrupt, it must be the French Mistress rubbing off on us as she is great boat.

as for the engine? Not sure what you mean by upgrade. We have a 56hp yanmar that came standard and it is plenty of power. We rarely run it above 2k rpm and with an autoprop it works just fine to save fuel and make an appropriate speed.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 10:23   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Who said anything about an ARC -- we distain ARCS -- to us it is nothing but a party time, false security, and they tell you what you need, when to go ect --
We don't need that from anyone -- we decide what we need and we decide when we will sail - and we don't need a party on either end - oh and we don't do rallies either. when we get to someplace we find interesting we stay when it is not interesting we leave - we sail to our schedule
sorry to be abrupt, it must be the French Mistress rubbing off on us as she is great boat.

as for the engine? Not sure what you mean by upgrade. We have a 56hp yanmar that came standard and it is plenty of power. We rarely run it above 2k rpm and with an autoprop it works just fine to save fuel and make an appropriate speed.
I am sorry, I did not mean to imply that was what you do or did. In other post's on the forum I found where they talked about the amount of Jeanneau's that participate in those events. To me that is a testament of the quality and ability of the boat.

As for how you sail, that is what I am all about and intend to do...
Glad to hear and see you love what you do and how you do it....

Such a diverse group of people here to learn from.

As for the engine, there is a upgrade available for this boat that I am looking at, and just wanted some feedback. I am confident that the standard engine will be fine, just looking for other input!

Thanks again!
Old 15-08-2014, 14:17   #73

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day GB,

FWIW, we have a 46 foot boat, around 12 tonnes heavy ship, fitted with a 43 hp Nanni. We have never felt that we needed more power. Our boat is more easily driven than your slightly bigger and considerably heavier proposed Jenni, but from our experience I would think that the smaller engine would be completely adequate... nearly twice our hp!

Good luck with your choices.

Jim
Old 15-08-2014, 14:25   #74

My first Jeanneau was a 1985 SunFizz. Loved the boat. In 2002 I bought a Jeanneau SO 45. Best boat ever. Retired from sailing 2011 2013 looked at Bent 393. The quality was not the same as Jeanneau. Walked away from that one. Just bought a Jeanneau SO 39i. Not the same quality as the SO 45 but much better that the Bent. I have been to the Jeanneau factory and the Bent. factory. very different approach to building. I have now owned Jeanneaus for almost 40 years. They never disappoint.
cmtindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 14:29   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day GB,

FWIW, we have a 46 foot boat, around 12 tonnes heavy ship, fitted with a 43 hp Nanni. We have never felt that we needed more power. Our boat is more easily driven than your slightly bigger and considerably heavier proposed Jenni, but from our experience I would think that the smaller engine would be completely adequate... nearly twice our hp!

Good luck with your choices.

Jim
Thanks for the comment, by what you are saying I should be just fine...
I always thought better safe then sorry, that is why I ask.

G' Day mate, I have friends in Warriewood, AU. Great people!

Tags
beneteau, jeanneau