Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 21:14   #1

San Francisco Bay Area? Windpilot windvane?

We would like to buy a Windpilot Pacific, but we've never seen one. Unfortunately, the owner of the company has told us that returns are not an option, and the idea of buying something this expensive without being able to return it or being able to see it seems foolish.

If you are in the SF Bay Area and have a Windpilot self steering gear of any model, we'd love to come see it! We'd simply like to take a look at it to get a sense for the workmanship.

Many thanks.

Caitlin (and Jason)
of DEBONAIR
Debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 12:43   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: San Francisco Bay Area? Windpilot windvane?

Have a Pacific Light on a Sabre 28 at Fortmans on Alameda. Have a few things to do to run the steering lines before it will be functional. Won't be back to the boat till early March if you can wait that long.

Also have a Pacific Plus on my boat here in Kona. That vane sailed me single handed to Hawaii without ever touching the helm except to get in and out of harbor. If you want to get out of the wonderful weather you've been having, it's a short plane ride to paradise to look at it. Will take you for a sail if you'd like see how they work.

My experience is the WindPilot Pacific vanes are typical German engineering quality. Simple designs made from lovely castings and quality hardware that work.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 10:23   #3

Hi there! Thanks for posting and offering us a chance to look at your windpilot. We're at Fortman too! When you come back, look us up in slip A-2 (wooden double-ender DEBONAIR, we're there working on it often). In the meantime, we'll wander/row by your Pacific light. Can you let us know what dock you are on?

Thanks!
Debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 21:33   #4

Boat: Olson 34

Hello Debo,
Did you get the Windpilot Pacific ? I live in the South Bay with a boat in the West Bay. Any chance I could take a look at your Windpilot, take a few photos ?
Regards,
Brian s/v Red Sky
brianb00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 17:45   #5

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Have a Pacific Light on a Sabre 28 at Fortmans on Alameda. Have a few things to do to run the steering lines before it will be functional. Won't be back to the boat till early March if you can wait that long.

Also have a Pacific Plus on my boat here in Kona. That vane sailed me single handed to Hawaii without ever touching the helm except to get in and out of harbor. If you want to get out of the wonderful weather you've been having, it's a short plane ride to paradise to look at it. Will take you for a sail if you'd like see how they work.

My experience is the WindPilot Pacific vanes are typical German engineering quality. Simple designs made from lovely castings and quality hardware that work.

Hello Roverhi, can the Windpilot Pacific be installed on my Westsails boomkin crosspiece without the addition of any additional support bracing?
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 00:30   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The WindPilot is easy to install on a transom but would need a bracket made to bolt onto a W32 boomkin. Aries, Cape Horn, and Monitor have all been mounted to a W32 boomkin and should have all the gear that's needed to do it. Had an Aries on our W32 and it worked great.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:14   #7

Boat: Westsail 32

Peter,

It's nice to hear from you again. I am ready to install a vane on the boat. Was leaning towards The Cape Horn. And discovered the Windpilot completely by accident. Looks lighter and simpler than anything I've seen, mostly aluminum German engineered.

I do not an oil derrick like a Monitor or Aires with all the associated support tubes fabricated and attached to the hull. When I redid "Moon Dance" I installed a new 1/4" thick stainless crosspiece at end of boomkins. When I've looked at Westsails on the Windpilot website it appears that the Pacific with a bracket can just be bolted directly to the crosspiece without the need for any additional bracing tubes, significantly simplifying the installation process and minimizing the aesthetic impact of some large ugly mechanism bolted to the end of the vessel?

Tags
san francisco, wind, windvane