Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2017, 18:39   #1

Tips for 7 days in Grenada and Grenadines

Hi All,

I will be hanging out with the family in Grenada / Grenadines for 7 days. If you have any recommendations regarding sure Dos and don'ts, those would be very appreciated. We are a family of 4 with teenagers and will depart from Port Lois Marina and plan to go as north as Tobago Cays.
We have been in the BVIs, Adriatic, Abacus, Tampa Bay, Apostle Islands.

Really appreciate your recommendations.
soares29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 12:11   #2

Boat: none yet :(
Re: Tips for 7 days in Grenada and Grenadines

So, how was your Grenada trip - heading there in May, any tips, recommendations? How far north did you manage to go?

My personal experience for sailing in unknown location is to go with the common sense and normal precautions and all will be fine.

Thanks!
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 13:16   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Snorkeling in Tobago Cays...not to be missed.

The Frangipani Bar on Bequia. Just about my favorite bar in the world. Basil's Bar on Mustique is right up there too. Hope they are both still there. Been awhile.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:05   #4

Thank you for the reply. We will take off next Sunday from Port Louis and plan to go as north as Union Island / Tobago Cays. Not planning on Bequia this time since we only have a week. Sure can let you know what we find.

Best,
Old 24-03-2017, 20:30   #5

Hi All,

We are back from Grenada/Grenadines. We loved it and it was an unforgettable experience. We used DYC Dufor 425. The Marina Port Louis is one of the best and the Charter team is awesome. Richard is a really cool guy and very helpful.

As promised here goes a summary my of Dos and Dont's ( follow it at your own risk... )

Don't do it as one of your first charters. The crossings are really open, the swell respectable and have variable direction ( disorganized ) probably from bouncing on the islands. In some crossings, we had partially breaking 5-7 feet swells on the back of the boat... ( 20-25 knots of wind ).

If you do the upwind leg from Grenada to Carriacou, plan well and do what is recommended ( Surprise ) follow by power the Grenada coast until close to Round island and then look for a good tack to go up.

Don't sail west off Grenada ( this is tempting with the NE wind ) since the wind can shift east as the day goes by and after several hours you will be dead downwind from Tyrel bay, your likely destination. This happened to us and is no fun but we managed. In conclusion do what the guides, charter briefings recommend...

Tyrel bay is really protected ( watch for the famous bareboat alley ) and the only reason to get a mooring ball is to help the locals ( we did it ).

Do take care on the crossings and we did use PFDs, have some sort of plan for MOB ( just in case ).

Do not miss Tobago Cays, really spectacular. Over there we liked it all, including the beach bbq, it is really a local tradition, very interesting and different from anything we have done.

Do use the north approach to Tobago ( only one allowed in charter companies ) since it is much safer. Large area to explore and make sure to have your dinghy "tunned up". If you have a seaworthy one better and depending on the weather you might be able to cross the to Petit Tabac and do better snorkel ( we couldn't due to the swell and constant wind of 15-20 knots.

Do grill some flank steak for lunch, you might need to take your own from home... ( no more comments needed )

Do consider Kitesurfing lessons in Clifton Harbour - Union Island. They have a very nice setup for this.

Do spend a night in Chatam bay - Union Island. Very pretty bay with reasonable snorkel on the left and great resort restaurant on the right. Great service, great drinks, reasonable prices ( Remember BVIs ).

Don't overprovision.

Don't power at night close to the bays, since there is a fair amount of fishing buoys and I think you could foil your propeller.

Do inspect your moorings ( everybody recommends this, we did inspect ours for overnights )

In Grenada Do the Beach House Restaurant ( Best in the Island )

The bus ride from Tyrel Bay to Hillsborough is really quick and cool experience... Get 2.5EC and give it a shot. You will remember it forever.

In Grenada we did a 3-4 hours local tour ( Nutmeg cop, Chocolate Factory ) it was awesome, the waterfall was really unimpressive.

The people is super nice, super kind, love tourists have awesome spices, and will be happy to see you. Some walk around holding huge machetes like "normal".

We had a really good time without any incidents and will definitely go back in the future.

The color of the water is unique somewhat like Bahamas but a little darker greenish, really pretty, UNFORGETTABLE.

The wind is great.

Food spectacular.

Grenada is unique, special, impossible not to like it.

Again, don't do it if you and your family or friends are not familiar with some OCEAN, you will scare the heck out of everybody. I was glad my family was more comfortable than I was... If you go let all know that the crossings will be bouncy and the swell respectable.

Fair winds and good luck.

Eduardo
Old 18-02-2018, 21:46   #6

Hi Eduardo,
thanks for the insight. My planned trip to Grenada last year didn't happen and we ended up in St. Martin again. But now we are all in for Grenada.
Sailing north from St. Georges. I have few questions:

1. recommendation for the first overnight spot once we leave St George's north bound along the west coast?

2. Any locations that we should avoid?

3. Given the time available, we will probably go up to Tobago Cays and then sail back.

4. I am thinking returning back along the windward (east) coast of Grenada and maybe spending the last night in one of the bays close to the southern tip close to the airport?

Many thanks to you or to whoever responds to this?

Cheers!
Old 18-02-2018, 22:13   #7

One more question: how is mobile/internet/3-4G connectivity on the islands? Not that we are smart phone freaks and I wish I can fully disconnect but need to take care of things/markets etc.
Are there any companies renting out internet/broadband equipment?
Cheers!
Old 19-02-2018, 01:33   #8

Boat: Lagoon 420
Tips for 7 days in Grenada and Grenadines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus69 View Post
One more question: how is mobile/internet/3-4G connectivity on the islands? Not that we are smart phone freaks and I wish I can fully disconnect but need to take care of things/markets etc.
Are there any companies renting out internet/broadband equipment?
Cheers!

Digicel works well for us down here. Buy a SIM card and some data to use on your cell phone and you should be fine for basic email, internet and such. Not video streaming. We pick up 3G most everywhere.

You can open your Hotspot for others to use or for your tablet, etc.

We just came to Grenada from St Vincent & the Grenadines and pleased to find that our unused Digicel data from SVG is working here. Not sure if it works the other way around, but guess we’ll find out in a few weeks!
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 05:29   #9

Thanks Krafthaus.
Any experience with international data plan from US operators?
Some could be pricey but curious if they are reliable at least.

Cheers.
Old 22-02-2018, 07:42   #10

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Any experience with international data plan from US operators?
Some could be pricey but curious if they are reliable at least.

We met a couple that have a US plan with unlimited data for quite a reasonable price. It was a month by month plan. I forget the carrier. T-Mobile maybe? They were very pleased with the reliability. Anyway you’d have to check with your company to see what they offer.

We’re Canadian so not available for us.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 13:24   #11

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Quote:
Hi Eduardo,
thanks for the insight. My planned trip to Grenada last year didn't happen and we ended up in St. Martin again. But now we are all in for Grenada.
Sailing north from St. Georges. I have few questions:

1. recommendation for the first overnight spot once we leave St George's north bound along the west coast?

2. Any locations that we should avoid?

3. Given the time available, we will probably go up to Tobago Cays and then sail back.

4. I am thinking returning back along the windward (east) coast of Grenada and maybe spending the last night in one of the bays close to the southern tip close to the airport?

Many thanks to you or to whoever responds to this?

Cheers!
If you are anywhere near Union Island on a full moon, you have to go to the JT-Pro Center for the fulll moon party.
Cheap booze, great bbq, great atmosphere. Makes you want to stay all year rond.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 17:03   #12

Boat: Nordhavn 50

Sitting in Tyrell bay right now. We are based in Port Louis and this is a great first stop on your Grenadines tour. We use T-mobile and have decent 3G coverage everywhere in the Caribbean. Unlimited text and data and $.20/min voice.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 17:16   #13

Very cool man !!!! Fair winds and safe sailing for you. Tobago Cays is awesome. The forecast is for a solid breeze as usual. I would consider looking for a day without much wind to be at the TC... better for snorkeling... and you might be able to out of the reef for the Petit Tabac.

Have fun !!!
Old 20-03-2018, 18:12   #14

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Might as well look up the SV Delos crew. They are in Grenada right now
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada