Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2016, 08:17   #1

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38
mast re-paint

I have masts and booms, all aluminium, sanded and self etching primer coated. What have some of you who have tackled this job used for top coats?
Old 27-12-2016, 08:31   #2

Re: mast re-paint

I had one done in Sterling. It is a very hard paint. Seems to last ok but never went long distance extended period of time in that boat. Not sure brittle paint on a flexible mast is necessarily good ..rethinking it.
The other I had done I think was Awlgrip, not fur sure though. Pro mast rebuild on that one. That one corroded and bubbled on the bottom maybe 8 ft of the mast within 1.5 years .
-Be sure to coat every rivet or thread or fitting with lanolin or something.
-If I were to paint another mast I would leave paint off the bottom 6-8 ft (above deck)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 09:53   #3

Boat: Allied 39

Ditto on the Sterling. We hand brushed the mast and boom 14 y ears ago and have been cruising the past twelve years. Paint is holding up amazingly well. We rolled and tipped two coats of Sterling LP on and it came out great.

May I suggest as you start to put hardware back on that you back all the SS pieces with Black plumbers tape, used to insulate copper tubing when placed in concrete. Also use a good antiseize on all the bolts.

Good luck

Chuck
Jacaranda
Tahiti
Old 27-12-2016, 11:10   #4

I was wondering what the black stuff was under some of the fittings. Good idea. Without my Milwaukee impact driver I would never have been able to remove over 1/2 the screws. What else to expect on a 1979 boat.

So I don't have to spray. That is a plus. I found Fisheries Supply carries the Sterling brand.
Old 27-12-2016, 11:18   #5

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I had a shop do my mast recently and they used Awlgrip products on it. Looks really good and happy with the results.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 13:15   #6

Boat: S2 9.1

I used Awlgrip on mine about 8 years ago. Followed their directions carefully for prep and primer, then rolled and tipped. It self leveled and came out surprisingly well. Still looks good.
Will be helping my son do his with Awlgrip next spring.
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 13:37   #7

Boat: Irwin 41 cc Ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to fishsail18

I sprayed awlgrip, first zinc chromate, than a primer than the paint, metallic silver, turned out great. Looked like a new mast and boom, actually 40+ years old
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25cd 012.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	138528   Click image for larger version

Name:	25cd 013.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	138529  

Click image for larger version

Name:	25cd 016.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	138530   Click image for larger version

Name:	25cd 017.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	138531  

fishsail18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 22:11   #8

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
I was wondering what the black stuff was under some of the fittings. Good idea. Without my Milwaukee impact driver I would never have been able to remove over 1/2 the screws. What else to expect on a 1979 boat.

So I don't have to spray. That is a plus. I found Fisheries Supply carries the Sterling brand.

"Sterling brand" what paint is this exactly? Sterling epoxy based paint or what? More detail please and thank you...

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 03:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsail18 View Post
I sprayed awlgrip, first zinc chromate, than a primer than the paint, metallic silver, turned out great. Looked like a new mast and boom, actually 40+ years old
That silver looks really good.

There's another guy in my marina who just painted his mast, also with Awlgrip. It's white, and it still looks pretty good too.
Old 28-12-2016, 08:27   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
I have masts and booms, all aluminium, sanded and self etching primer coated. What have some of you who have tackled this job used for top coats?
Most folks in the know recommend using the same brand for paint and primer so you might want to stick with whatever the manufacturer of your primer has available. At the very least, contact the manufacturer of the top coat you intend to use and ask them if their paint is compatible with the primer you already used.
Old 29-12-2016, 09:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Most folks in the know recommend using the same brand for paint and primer so you might want to stick with whatever the manufacturer of your primer has available. At the very least, contact the manufacturer of the top coat you intend to use and ask them if their paint is compatible with the primer you already used.

This actually is an excellent piece of advice. Use the same manufacturer products all the way thru and follow their directions to a "T". Don't take any short cuts.

Also take the time when reassembling to carefully put antiseize on ALL the SS bolts and screws going into the aluminum. I just pulled some SS bolts off of my aluminum spreader cap that were coated with Tuffgel 13 years ago and they came out like butter. We have used this product for years and it works!! But be careful as it sticks to everything.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...uct.do?pid=546

We prefer to use the small syringe applicator as it's easier to coat stuff with it and not make a mess. Even so it still seems to get everywhere...

Don't take any short cuts with the paint
Back all the SS hardware with plumbers take (easily trimmed with a razor blade)
Use tuffgel on all the SS bolts and screws

Your next mast refit as the bolts easily come out you will be smiling.
Ahhhh getting pleasure from some of the simplest of things...

Good luck

Chuck
Jacaranda
Tahiti
Doing a full standing rigging replacement -- our fourth since buying the boat
Old 29-12-2016, 10:07   #12

Yes, I am a firm believer in Tefgel. Works great.
Old 29-12-2016, 14:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLE JUMPER II View Post
"Sterling brand" what paint is this exactly? Sterling epoxy based paint or what? More detail please and thank you...

I believe it's still called LP. or two part polyurethane

http://www.sterlinglacquer.com/products.html

regards

Chuck
Old 30-12-2016, 03:23   #14

It was recommended to me to also use Tef-Gel by several people. When I put the hardware back on my mast, the rigging shop had me use Lanolin. Worked great, but like mentioned above with Tef-Gel, it can get everywhere. Just wipe things up when you're done.

Just a note for anyone finding this thread in the future. I was also recommended to use Duralac which is used for the same purpose, but I think that's more of a European brand. Apparently also a very good anti corrosive joining compound.
Old 30-12-2016, 04:49   #15

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I used tefgel and duralac when I painted my mast and boom recently. Tefgel for bolts and screws and duralac as a barrier between stainless steel fittings and the painted aluminium. Also, it seems to me that epoxy primer with two pack polyurethane topcoat is a typical combination used for painting masts. I painted the mast with a roller and sprayed the boom. The paint I used was an industrial product recommended for spraying only, so the rolled surface is a bit textured, but more than acceptable for my older boat. The boom on the other hand came out perfect, as I made the effort to rub back the primer before the topcoat application. On advice from a fellow boater and former boat builder, I prepped in accordance with the paint manufacturers instructions and also etched the surface with an undiluted aluminium cleaner containing hydrofluoric acid as the final step before primer. So far it all looks like it's holding up.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, paint