Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2016, 09:13   #1

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV
MOB1 RescueMe - can't figure it out

Hi, I purchased a RescureMe MOB1 combination AIS and DCS emergency locator for my cruising partner. After a few weeks of confusing instructions and poor illustrations, we were able to program the MMSI.

Now what do we do?

There is no apparent way to automatically deploy it during an overboard situation - and the instructions on hooking it to a life jacket and testing it are unclear - at best.

A safety device must be safe, easy to use in an emergency, and be as automatic as possible in an overboard situation.

Can anyone provide a more reasonable set of instructions - from direct experience?

Can anyone recommend a device that might be easier to deploy in an emergency?

We are in correspondence with the manufacturer - but the best they can offer is they have sold many others this device with few reported problems -- I guess few people fell overboard or few people who fall overboard complain?

Thanks - I like my partner and wish to keep her near the boat - I also wish to increase confidence and the complexity of this device with poor instructions does neither.

If you are a long distance offshore with motivation to practice overboard drills on a regular basis, this device will likely improve your chances of recovering crew. But, if like us, you are "weekend" cruisers that seldom go far from home, the safety benefit is at least somewhat psychological - and this device doesn't do it.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 10:30   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: MOB1 RescueMe - can't figure it out

I am not sure what your objection is. The RescueMe is not intended for, or designed to, be auto deployed. It is a manual only plb. It's part of the trade off to have such a small form factor. It is also the plb of choice for a lot of distance solo racers, specifically because it doesn't auto deploy. When I flip my beach cat over I don't want it to go off without my involvement, because I don't want to be on a first name basis with the USCG rescue guys.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 11:14   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I am not sure what your objection is. The RescueMe is not intended for, or designed to, be auto deployed. It is a manual only plb. It's part of the trade off to have such a small form factor. It is also the plb of choice for a lot of distance solo racers, specifically because it doesn't auto deploy. When I flip my beach cat over I don't want it to go off without my involvement, because I don't want to be on a first name basis with the USCG rescue guys.

+1

No electronic aid worn on your person should be automatic!, I have a small plb I wear on beachcat distance races. Between the splashes and occasional 20kt pitch poles, it's in the water and decelerating rapidly a lot.

The rescueme, is intuitive in activation,IMHO, and from a quick glance at the instructions doesn't look too rough to program. Maybe a little clunky but you don't program it often!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 11:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Stuart,

I downloaded the manual online and it seemed to give pretty clear, step by step instructions on how to program the MMSI. Did you download and run the software on your computer? Did the software not work?

Also according the the instruction manual the only way to auto deploy the MOB1 is by attaching it to an auto inflate life jacket. Otherwise it is a manual operation.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 13:06   #5

I did download the manual - and eventually programmed the MOB1 by removing the programming adapter and pushing the test button with a paper clip.

I have not figured how to deploy the device in the water in an emergency.

The instructions are equally unclear.

A device intended for a Hobie sailor in good condition has significantly different requirements than a device intended for a 70+ year old causal cruiser. I had an EPIRB on board during previous ocean crossings and similar open water trips as a delivery skipper - but my cruising companion is a different person with different needs.

The MOB1 is probably right for you - but I'm looking for either adaptations or another device that is right for a less physically capable person who always wears an inflatable life jacket - and practiced with the auto inflator when it first arrived.

I know the argument - if you aren't physically capable, stay off the water. But, for a family who spends about $50k a year and has a 60 year safe boating record, it isn't to much to ask for a few more years of safety and assurance from technology that is purchases for that single purchase.

Maybe a big red flag, "pull here in an emergency" would fix my concern.
Old 16-05-2016, 13:15   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

First, I have never seen or held one of these but looking at the user's manual the activation looks very simple.

Two steps.

1. Pull the Red Arming Tab down.

- It is red, very obvious and looks quite simple to just grab it and slide it down which then exposes the activator.

2. Pull the tape that is attached to the activator and remove.

It looks quite straight forward in the manual. Is there more to it than this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
I did download the manual - and eventually programmed the MOB1 by removing the programming adapter and pushing the test button with a paper clip.

I have not figured how to deploy the device in the water in an emergency.

The instructions are equally unclear.

A device intended for a Hobie sailor in good condition has significantly different requirements than a device intended for a 70+ year old causal cruiser. I had an EPIRB on board during previous ocean crossings and similar open water trips as a delivery skipper - but my cruising companion is a different person with different needs.

The MOB1 is probably right for you - but I'm looking for either adaptations or another device that is right for a less physically capable person who always wears an inflatable life jacket - and practiced with the auto inflator when it first arrived.

I know the argument - if you aren't physically capable, stay off the water. But, for a family who spends about $50k a year and has a 60 year safe boating record, it isn't to much to ask for a few more years of safety and assurance from technology that is purchases for that single purchase.

Maybe a big red flag, "pull here in an emergency" would fix my concern.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 13:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
+1

No electronic aid worn on your person should be automatic!, I have a small plb I wear on beachcat distance races. Between the splashes and occasional 20kt pitch poles, it's in the water and decelerating rapidly a lot.

The rescueme, is intuitive in activation,IMHO, and from a quick glance at the instructions doesn't look too rough to program. Maybe a little clunky but you don't program it often!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Guys, the MOB1 is a AIS MOB device, not a PLB

Here is a video of the setup.

Old 16-05-2016, 13:49   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Clearly I owe the OP an apology I was thinking of the PLB not this unit.

However it still has an antenna that needs to be manually deployed. Which to me makes it impossible to be a fully automatic unit. But the directions are still pretty simple.

1) slide down the arming tab
2) pull out the antenna all the way
2b) this should activate the unit, if it doesn't then press the ON button

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 13:54   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"The MOB1 is intended to be installed within the life-jacket and will activate automatically on inflation, sending the first alert within 15 seconds."
MOB1 - Ocean Signal

Oceansignal make it fairly clear, on their web site, that this device is for use integrally with an automatic inflation PFD only.

"I have not figured how to deploy the device in the water in an emergency."
That could be because you are not intended to deploy it. If you need to deploy it "manually" you apparently need to inflate the PFD.

"Systems integrated" stuff doesn't normally work outside of the system it was designed to be a part of.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 14:34   #10

Maybe my MOB1 is a knock off supplied by the GPS store and not the device I purchased. While it is clearkly marked MOB1 and came in a sealed box, there is no whistle, no "ON" switch and no obvious way to get the antenna out.

There is a small gray plastic device that can be inserted into the top of the unit - but it doesn't engage anything. I presume it is to rewind the antenna.

There is no way I can pre-test it without snapping off the top.

Surely, I'm missing something essential.

Back to the original question, can anyone recommend a device similar to the MOB1 that has some chance of reducing the risk associated with an overboard situation by sending an appropriate signal to my AIS (purchased for this reason only since we don't go off shore) and a warning to my DSC enabled VHF.

If this device is working as designed, the instructions don't do much. Only by inserting it into a vice could I push the rubber programming adapter enough to get the "test" button depressed.

Come on, folks, this is a life saving device - not a puzzel.
Old 16-05-2016, 14:50   #11

Sounds like either you must be doing something very wrong or there is something very wrong with your unit.

The manual clearly indicates that it is automatic and easy to use, so it fits your requirement.

I have two MOB1 onboard but I am yet to program the MMSI or fit them to the lifejackets. Will be onboard this weekend and will look at programming and fitting them.
Old 16-05-2016, 14:59   #12

The arming tape and whistle mentioned in the instructions are not included in my package. That sort of got me off in the wrong direction.

When you finish programming it, try doing the GPS test and the AIS test mentioned in the instructions - if they work for you, maybe I can make it work for me.

Since apparently only one of the other commenters on this string - and they don't say if they have ever performed the two required tests - I'm not sure what I've gotten out of this beyond the parts missing from my unit.

I think I can now get it to work - will try in the next few days when I'm out on the boat.

Safety equipment works to a higher standard - this might work, but it doesn't meet the higher standard of being usable by less capable people like me who bought the unit expecting a more obvious solution.

Thank you, all, for your help and patience.
Old 16-05-2016, 15:27   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Wait a minute, you bought live saving equipment from some dog on the internet? (G)

Stuart, really, I think the fast best answer is to contact OceanPlanet or whoever the actual maker or distributor is. Maybe you have a "Mark1" and the current product is a newer revised one. These things happen. Maybe you actually do have a counterfeit--look at the profit potential in selling a plastic box weighted with scrap metal, knowing it would be years if ever before it was used and found out. Unlikely, but these days...go to the source.
Old 16-05-2016, 16:24   #14

I had a discussion with the manufacturer that reached sort of a dead end before starting this thread.
Old 16-05-2016, 18:29   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

http://oceansignal.com/wordpress/wp-...er-manual2.pdf

Is that the same manual and device that you have? Seems fairly straightforward, although the function of "test" isn't really clear until the end.

Tags
mob, rescue