Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2015, 15:41   #1

Help identifying hydraulic steering

Hi All, I have a '72 Bertram with dual station hydraulic steering. Both wheels spin easily but do not activate the rudder. I assume I need to fill/bleed the system and check for leaks.

I have been told 1) it could be as simple as removing the top wheel to expose a filler cap and that the system is self bleeding, and 2) that I need to find a reservoir and fill from there and then bleed at the rams. So far I have been unable to find a reservoir but have yet to start really opening up access...

Can anybody identify the type of steering I have and point me in the right direction?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM02094.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	111257   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM02093.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	111258  

Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 13:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Help identifying hydraulic steering

If your system has leaks or is loosing oil, you should look for leaks 1st. You may need to install a rebuild kit in the pump or cylinder and tighten all fittings.
My Wagner steering has the reservoir in the pumps (where the wheel is connected). There will be a plug to remove. Some people connect a tank either temporarily or permanently in place of the plug. Rotate the wheel, keeping the reservoir full. Air will be expelled as it uses oil. When you have dispelled all the air you can at the pump, open the bleed valves, one at a time, on the cylinder while someone maintains pressure with the wheel.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic steering, steering