Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2017, 07:11   #1

Advice on Navigational Equipment

We are mainly coastal cruising around the gulf, the keys, and the bahamas. Our boat has no navigational system at this time and are looking at the different systems to install.

The B & G Vulcan 9 was recommended. Any thoughts on this. The first mate is also interested in WiFI connections, etc.

We're also looking into an IPAD to accompany the system. We are debating over an ipad with or without cellular capabilites.

We're sailing a Hunter ('96) 336.

Thanks for your help
Hereweare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 07:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Advice on Navigational Equipment

I am not familiar with the Vulcan 9 specifically but in general B&G (part of the Navico group that also owns Simrad) makes good stuff. I have the Simrad version of the B&G autopilot and so far I love it.

For navigation I have the Garmin 740 which I chose mainly because I was familiar with Garmin products and like their interface. The latest version of that model is the GPSMAP 742xs which has wifi built in.

Running the free OpenCPN nav software on a computer or tablet (I think it works on iPad but don't use one so not sure) is an excellent backup.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 07:30   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice on Navigational Equipment

I travel with portable equipment..
A laptop and the Nimble Navigator program with GPS puck.. its loaded on both my 15" laptop and my 10" Notebook..
Worldwide Cmap Charts and all the plug ins one needs.. AIS, Tides etc.. all for less than $150.. not including the laptops.. just plug in the USB and go
Nimble Navigator Download

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 08:18   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Let's see. Maybe divide "Gotta Have It" and "Consider."

Gotta Have It
Paper chart for when the rest goes south without you. Plot your position each
half hour so you know where to start when you go manual.
Electronic nav - lots of choices; I use OpenCPN on a laptop and monitor.
Depth sounder
Compass
VHF radio

Strongly Consider
Radar - doing anything at night or in fog? Simple Furuno 1715 is OK.
AIS - ditto, unless you keep a damned good watch
Backup GPS
Some sort of long range SOS. I use an obsolescent Spot Hug and a Ham
radio, but there are lots of choices here, too.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 08:21   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Advice on Navigational Equipment

What is it your trying to do?
Garmin is excellent, easy to install, easy to use, but you had better like Garmin charts, cause your not putting anything else in one.
B&G is likely “better” but more complex, difficult to install and not nearly as intuitive as Garmin, but you can use many different charts.
If you want built in GPS in the IPad, that means a cellular one, however a GPS WiFi device is more accurate, cost less. I leave mine plugged in below and it’s always charged and gets excellent reception below. I have both Navionics and the Garmin app, I use Garmin the most and it’s no surprise that it integrates Active Capt excellently. Blue Charts on the IPad are a fraction of what it costs on a plotter, same with Navionics.
If I use the Navionics app, the IPad gets both depth and GPS positioning data from the B&G via the B&G gofree WiFi.
It also mirrors and will control everything on the B&G plotter except the Autopilot, so I have a duplicate plotter screen down below on the Ipad
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 19:24   #6

I haven't quite figure this site out yet but its a great help. The 742xs was my first choice and I have read a little on the 942 because of the larger screen. I will also be getting the radar package and an I Pad.Thanks again
Old 25-11-2017, 19:39   #7

I am attempting to add a Chartplotter and a radar package to my boat. I have the Depth sounder, wind speed/direction, boat speed, compass, and autopilot. I will also be getting an I Pad. I do understand that paper charts are a must.
Thanks
Old 26-11-2017, 08:19   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I bought a B&G Vulcan 7 for my pilothouse helm last spring. It the first dedicated MFD I've owned, having used paper charting and OpenCPN with a GPS puck prior (it's a pilothouse, after all) and I got it primarily to use a Navico Forward-Scan Sonar, which has already justified its purchase.

I have found it easy to use, however, and a handy adjunct. I may even buy the Navionics package, as I'm used to that for passage planning. It has Wi-Fi, too, which has been nice as I can use it to show its display on another screen.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 08:57   #9

In early December B&G starts distributing Vulca7 with radar input as well.
If you have wind, depth and speed data on water from another brand in NMEA 2000 or SeaTalkNG also works.
Vulvan 7 or 9 works with the Navionics and C-MAP MAX N + cards specially made for the Lowrance, Simrad and B&G brands.
The B&G Vulcan7 FS Display is a powerful all-in-one Chart plotter and depth sounder for small-mid sized sail boats. Vulcan7 incorporates B&G's forward looking collision avoidance sonar technology for safe passage in areas where chart accuracy is uncertain. Vulcan7 will also connect to B&G sailing instruments and autopilot systems for a fully integrated electronics package.

No physical buttons and low profile mounting options makes Vulcan7 one of the cleanest and most integrated looking navigation device for aftermarket installs. Combine this with an extensive set of advanced sailing software features inherited from it's bigger brother, the Zeus2, and the Vulcan 7 is the go-to standalone navigation display for the aspiring sailor.

Featuring

GoFree ™ Compatible with built-in Wi-Fi functionality
Advanced NMEA2000® networking
Forwardscan sonar technology (ForwardScan Transducer required)
Dedicated Sailing Features
SailSteer
Sailing Time
Laylines
Autopilot capability
Key Features

Easy to use multi-touch user interface
Glass dash styling
Super bright widescreen display
Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity
Built in 10 Hz GPS antenna
Micro SD card slot
Built in echosounder (Broadband & Chirp)
Built in ForwardScan sonar
Built in DownScan Imaging
Operates with ZC1 and ZC2 Remote controller
Advanced NMEA2000 networking
BEP C-Zone Integration
Fusion Link Audio Support - including multiple audio servers
AIS SARTs
NMEA Data Logging
GRIB Weather support
SailSteer, Laylines with Sailing Time, WindPlot
Adjustable page split ratios and panel layouts
Best in Class Cartography support
Internal Echosounder B & G Vulcan7 FS is a complete standalone Multi Function Display. For the sailors that want to see what their boats are in detail, the Vulcan 7 features internal CHIRP sonar and DownScan Imaging ™

Easily determine depth
Distinguish different seabed types for safe anchoring
Collision avoidance using built-in ForwardScan
Internal Wi-Fi Vulcan 7 standalone MFD's can be controlled directly from your Ipad or Android Tablet.

Mirror the screen on your compatible smart phone.
Built-in Wi-Fi allows you to hassle free integration with the GoFree ™ Shop.
Receive automatic software updates
Download the latest charts
Download a variety of apps to enhance sailing experiences
Upload Insight Genesis ™ sonar logs and download personal and Social Map maps.

You can even install a wired keyboard inside the boat via NMEA 2000, which also offers pilot access and all functions, thus making your Tablet a complete repeater.

Dieter by easynav.pt
dietervoegeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 09:07   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

In general, any tablet or laptop solution is going to be unreadable in bright sunlight, so it needs to be kept below deck. Or, one of the very pricey "daylight readable" displays bought.

That's one difference with any marine nav system, it will be daylight readable from the start.

This is one area where it pays to go looking at them hands-on. Miami boat show coming up, if you're near that. How you go through menus, whether you need to touch the screen, how things are integrated, sometimes one company versus another just will seem more logical and convenient to you.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 09:16   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hereweare View Post
We're also looking into an IPAD to accompany the system. We are debating over an ipad with or without cellular capabilites.
An ipad without cell capability is useless for nav. The built in GPS of the ipad shares the cell antenna. The non-cell ipads have no antenna, hence no gps, and no nav.

As a backup, I have used Navionics on ipad and android phone. Inexpensive, excellent, easy...what more could you want? I hear Active Captain is really good too, but haven't tried it myself.

I also recommend paper charts and an old trustworthy handheld GPS like the garmin etrex yellow. When everything else goes south, these old school tools will keep you safe and get you home.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 09:26   #12

I am an experienced navigator ,celestial etc I now have an old Raymarine L80 but don’t like vector charts and lack of Coveneint updates so I bought IPad with WiFi and use it exclusively lot of good Navy programs daily update choice of raster or vector. Have backup paper charts and hand held gps. I pad is great in many remote anchorages can stir get cell coverage so can read newspaper watch tv and update weather. years.
sailray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 10:56   #13

Boat: Union cutter 33

We have all B&g equipment including the Zeus’s 2 chartplotters one 9” at helm and a 12” at nav station so far we are completely happy with our choice we also have the 4 g radar and forward scan great for going into unknown anchorages
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 11:03   #14

Boat: pelle&Peterson, Maxi95, 9,5 mètres
Send a message via Skype™ to Va2shp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
An ipad without cell capability is useless for nav. The built in GPS of the ipad shares the cell antenna. The non-cell ipads have no antenna, hence no gps, and no nav.

As a backup, I have used Navionics on ipad and android phone. Inexpensive, excellent, easy...what more could you want? I hear Active Captain is really good too, but haven't tried it myself.

I also recommend paper charts and an old trustworthy handheld GPS like the garmin etrex yellow. When everything else goes south, these old school tools will keep you safe and get you home.
Some confusing info. Cel capability is only good if you are within reach of a cell antena. If you are gone to use an IPAD you need a real GPS in your ipad or a gps that will interface with your IPAD as an example the Bad Elf GPS that you can buy from Fugawi https://www.fugawi.com/store/category/35, I am not trying to advertise anything, it just that I know it work.
Va2shp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 11:49   #15

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

I notice you mentioned your first mate wanted Wi-Fi. But no one addressed the fact that yes some devices are Wi-Fi capable but that does not mean they get you out to the world unless you are near another Wi-Fi source. They are for the wireless communication between the various pieces of equipment onboard.
When cruising you would need something more exotic to have actual Wi-Fi that lets you use internet or email.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, men, navigation