Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2017, 09:23   #1

Boat: Montevideo 43
Lines for Panama canal

Do I supply the lines to transit Panama Canal or do the handlers there bring it?
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 09:32   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450
Lines for Panama canal

You need to provide the lines, 4x 5/8 to 3/4in x 125ft with 3ft eyes on one end, floating type. You can provide your own lines or hire (see Noonsite.com for recommendations). Unlikely the handler will provide.

In Jan 17 we hired at US$60 for the lines plus $3 for each tire (we took 8).
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 10:04   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Lines for Panama canal

Many pro line people can/do provide tires and lines. The easy way to do the transit is to hire an agent who provides any handlers you might need, tires and lines. Somebody would probably come by the boat the day before your transit and drop the stuff off.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 14:07   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Most cruisers use other cruisers as line handlers. If you go through first as a line handler on another cruiser's boat you will understand the process and have a more enjoyable transit on your own boat.
Hiring line handlers does not necessarily mean you get qualified people. There can be langauge issues, there can be ego issues and there can be incompetence. I've seen paid line handlers going through on their very first transit.
It is easy to rent lines on either end of the Canal. It is also easy to arrange your transit without using an agent.
Old 29-07-2017, 15:15   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Everyone Ive transited with, and most Ive seen preparing, have rented lines & fenders. Its not often cruisers need that kind of gear so renting makes sense.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 18:07   #6

I don't think you can use just "fenders". You might think your nice oversize yacht fenders will work but if you end up tying to a big tug boat, you will need tires, like wide oval 15's. You can't know what will happen in there. You might go through alone or you might not. Also think about protecting your solar panels. They throw a knot and line to your boat and as good as they are, they might miss.
Old 29-07-2017, 18:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I don't think you can use just "fenders". You might think your nice oversize yacht fenders will work but if you end up tying to a big tug boat, you will need tires, like wide oval 15's. You can't know what will happen in there. You might go through alone or you might not. Also think about protecting your solar panels. They throw a knot and line to your boat and as good as they are, they might miss.
No, standard size boat fenders would not be of much use.

Not standard "fenders" in my comment above, but rather tires wrapped in plastic.
Old 29-07-2017, 18:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
No, standard size boat fenders would not be of much use. Not standard "fenders" in my comment above, but rather tires wrapped in plastic.
I knew what you meant but others might not. There can be a large disparity between boats in the locks, fenders don't cut it. I think they should just turn us loose in there. You don't need lines etc. It's no worse than a marina with some wind blowing.
Old 09-08-2017, 14:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I knew what you meant but others might not. There can be a large disparity between boats in the locks, fenders don't cut it. I think they should just turn us loose in there. You don't need lines etc. It's no worse than a marina with some wind blowing.
Most of the time the currents are not so bad, but they can get pretty sporty. See video from my last transit (crewing for friends).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kcresenhe9...92107.mp4?dl=0

Also pics from that transit:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3sjr4w8rz...2Pq4QXd4a?dl=0

Tags
canal, Panama, Panama Canal