Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 04:47   #1

Boat: Leopard 45
Amel Super Maramu vs Lagoon 380 for tradewinds RTW

Hello, I'd like to pick your brains on the subject. We are fairly experinced sailors, much more on monos than multis but have done quite a few trips on cats as well. W have owned a Cyclades 39.3 which is selling right now. We plan to do a 3 year RTW starting from Canary Islands; it will be September 2019 with myself, my wife and our 2 kids age 3 and 6. Now, we have to choose the boat. After much head scratching we ended up with the Lagoon 380 (pre- S2) or an early Super Maramu. While there is a substantial lenght difference, they both offer similar living space. The Lagoon will be a simple craft, equipped with solar panels, simple 12V watermaker, no generator. Super Maramu is heavy on systems, has a generator, heck even the sails are raised by electric motors. However, the cruising community is mostly very positive about the Maramu. The price is similar at about 170k EUR ready to go. Maintenance I guess will be similar since the cat has 2 engines, althrough they are much smaller. So, which one would you choose and why? I know it's mostly down to personal preferences but I'm looking forward to learn from your comments.
LotNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:58   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Amel Super Maramu vs Lagoon 380 for tradewinds RTW

I spent a week moored next an Amel SM during the summer, gorgeous and the sort of boat I could live on during a world cruise, just its not going to happen unfortunately.

However, given the trip you plan I think the simpler catamaran with less to go wrong and perhaps more usable deck space to lounge around on for two young children would be my choice. They are both young and need lots of your attention, which you can't do when you are rebuilding and fault finding all those electrical systems on board.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 11:24   #3

Re: Amel Super Maramu vs Lagoon 380 for tradewinds RTW

Older Amels did not come with black water tanks, which can cause issues depending on which countries you'll be spending time in. The Amel would be easier to manage the children on. The 380 is one if not the most common cats out there so finding information on problems and maintenance is alot easier. The extra room on the cat, is helpful if you plan to plus up the crew on lon passages.
jayfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 380, trade, wind