Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2017, 18:04   #1

Boat: O'Day 34
Need:Short Range Head Mounted 2-way radios

I am looking for a pair of short range, head mounted 2-way radios. Our slip is located in a narrow creek next to an inlet where the tide flows perpindicular at 3-4+ knots.
To approach our slip, I line up the the boat with the slip and drift sideways while moving forward until I'm directly in front of the 13' wide slip and then move in until I rest the forward quarter on one of the pilings. Then I can easily maneuver into the slip using the piling as a pivot point. This takes perfect timing and perfect distance judgement from the cockpit to pull it off successfully. Unfortunately,this doesn't always happen. My distance judgement would greatly be improved if the Admiral could talk me in via hands free radio while stationed on the bow. All I can hear now is "slower, slow down."
Years ago we used simple low powered headsets made by Radio Shack that sold for about $20, but I can't find similar radios anywhere. The cheapest seem to start at $300 and are very bulky. Can anyone tell me where I can buy a simple similar set?
Thank you in advance. And you will win the Admiral's undying appreciation.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 18:38   #2

Re: Need:Short Range Head Mounted 2-way radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrille in JB View Post
I am looking for a pair of short range, head mounted 2-way radios. Our slip is located in a narrow creek next to an inlet where the tide flows perpindicular at 3-4+ knots.
To approach our slip, I line up the the boat with the slip and drift sideways while moving forward until I'm directly in front of the 13' wide slip and then move in until I rest the forward quarter on one of the pilings. Then I can easily maneuver into the slip using the piling as a pivot point. This takes perfect timing and perfect distance judgement from the cockpit to pull it off successfully. Unfortunately,this doesn't always happen. My distance judgement would greatly be improved if the Admiral could talk me in via hands free radio while stationed on the bow. All I can hear now is "slower, slow down."
Years ago we used simple low powered headsets made by Radio Shack that sold for about $20, but I can't find similar radios anywhere. The cheapest seem to start at $300 and are very bulky. Can anyone tell me where I can buy a simple similar set?
We use these and love, love, love them for communicating between the bow and helm while anchoring, between the dock and helm while docking, between the mast monkey and deck crew while working up the stick. You'll want to check to see if the range works for your application, but they are the cat's pajamas as far as we are concerned.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...97831f5881fe4f

Sorry, but they are NOT $20....
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 18:56   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

We use Eartech; again, not cheap but great....
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 19:51   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Need:Short Range Head Mounted 2-way radios

I have a pair of cruiser solutions two way headphones that we were going to sell anyway... if you are interested. Very reasonable price plus you pay shipping. PM me is interested.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 19:59   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Usually one sees price drops in techo items over time, and I imagine that these new Bluetooth sets are better...

but we bought our "Intergalactic Communicators" (as we call them) from that well known marine supplier Toys R Us for 19.95 the pair. This was, of course, around 25 years ago, but the damn things still work. Waterproof? nope. Long range? Nope. Rechargable? Nope. Offer comms from foredeck or masthead to cockpit? You Bet!

I suppose they will croak one day, or I'll get tired of feeding them 9v batteries, but over 300 bucks for a replacement? Sheesh!

Jim
Old 30-10-2017, 04:35   #6

Boat: O'Day 34

Thanks for the helpful responses. I didn't think I could buy a set for $20 anymore but the toy type worked remarkably well many years ago. I was hoping to find something similar but of course for an inflated price. I PMd zboss and I'm reasearching the other options that you've provided.
I don't know how many more dock strikes the pulpit can take.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 08:45   #7

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Go into a motocycle shop. They have great radio kit for being use between the driver and passager. Those are the only one I know that still works great when it is seriously windy.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 08:49   #8

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Baofeng radios w/ earpiece is very popular with outdoorsmen(women) and the preppers.

Here's six radios w/ earpiece for just over $60. Loose one, you still have five more.https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-88...ywords=baofeng
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 09:17   #9

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

I use SENA motorcycle headsets ... pricey but a no compromise product. Has the added advantage of coupling with your phone and stereo by bluetooth. Bought them from Marinebeam.com
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 09:26   #10

Boat: 36' Hartog ketch

l would think that, if you both have cell phones (all too common these days), get a pair of cheap bluetooth headsets for the boat and call each other.
ThresherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 10:03   #11

Boat: Ketch 52'
Send a message via Skype™ to CaptDHill

I dont recommend Eartech. We run a 124 ft yacht and used them about five times before various failures. They have range. We used them between the tender and the bridge with clear sound. But they have begun to fall apart. Just simply not durable.

D
CaptDHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 10:14   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

There's PTT headsets available for most family band radios. We have a pair of cheap Cobras for this purpose.

An alternative you may consider is the loudhailer PA that mates with the SH GX2200 (and other SH base unit VHFs). I have a pilothouse and comms with the foredeck standing over the engine bay can be tricksy. I discovered by accident that the PA horn has a mic in it when I had it on and heard convo from two fingers away. I don't recall seeing it in the documentation, but I tried it and if my admiral's head is turned in my direction, I can hear her inside a closed-up pilothouse with the engine running. Naturally, it's a PA so she can hear the hell out of me.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 10:56   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrille in JB View Post
I don't know? As a suggestion look under walkie talkies for kids.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 11:19   #14

+1 on the Sena

I went through a bunch of the suggestions above until I found the Sena's too. The price is painful - but mine are on their fifth year. No push to talk. No raised voices. No static. No wind-noise. No antenna snagging on things. The rechargeable batteries never seem to be dead when I need them. It's like you are in a quiet room.

A huge stress reliever.

Also very useful picking up a mooring as I can stand at the bow where it's much easier for me to translate our distance and momentum into engine and rudder commands for my wife back at the helm -- and still have two hands free for the boathook.

Hand signals work fine for normal anchoring and even most slips so we don't use the Sena's much. But when we need them, they really help.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 11:33   #15

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

As others have mentioned, the SENA [SPH10 model] for motorcycle touring is probably the best out there and still work in high wind/noise/wet conditions. [I can wear mine into the engine room while motoring and communicate with crew...]

Through experimenting we have found that only full duplex [synchronous] headsets work in all conditions. [No push-to-talk (PTT) or voice activation (VOX). Full duplex work like a telephone; all parties can talk and hear simultaneously...]

The SENA model above have many features, are firmware upgradable, and come with 2 interchangable mikes; short and long. We find the short model works very well for our needs, and keeps the headset very compact when working in tight quarters. They are also handy for communicating while at the masthead...

If there is one annoyance, it is accidentally bumping the left side of the headset in close quarters- activating the mute button. [No problem; It beeps, so you can swing your head and bump it back on again...]

We have more details and links on our page about things we have tried if you are interested [or bored...]

In case this is useful.

Cheers! Bill

PS: I forgot to mention you can pair these with your smart phone- which I find handy when engaged in phone calls while boating... or listening to music...

Tags
head, radio