Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2017, 11:24   #1

Boat: Gib'Sea 402
Garmin buys Navionics

Says it all really. And after acquiring Active Captain!

Garmin® acquires Navionics® | Business Wire
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 11:52   #2

Re: Garmin buys Navionics

Sounds like they have an aggressive growth plan. 10 bucks says they aren't done yet.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 03:37   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Wow. This is big news. Basically, two competing cartography brands merging.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, less competition is usually a bad thing. On the other hand, having multiple, incompatible sources of cartography data hasn't been good either, especially when choosing hardware.

Navionics and BlueChart both have their strengths and weaknesses. A combination could be good.

Politically, this is probably a good time in the US for monopolistic practices.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 05:54   #4

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Guess we will see if this is a plan to leverage hardware sales. Navionix has opened up the use of consumer grade tablets in this space.. This has degraded plotter sales I am sure.. Hmmmmm.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 06:14   #5

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

I have always thought Garmin had the better graphics but I love the automatic routing capabilities and the web interface (which then syncs the routes with tablets) from Navionics. Can you imagine: The user-friendly Garmin graphics, the auto routing and easy syncing capabilities of Navionics, and the rich data from Active Captain, all in one package? Now THAT's a useful product!
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 13:20   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post
I have always thought Garmin had the better graphics but I love the automatic routing capabilities and the web interface (which then syncs the routes with tablets) from Navionics. Can you imagine: The user-friendly Garmin graphics, the auto routing and easy syncing capabilities of Navionics, and the rich data from Active Captain, all in one package? Now THAT's a useful product!
Or, it could be more like when Garmin took over Interphase (forward looking sonar units) and then eliminated their whole product line with no useful replacement products.

More a matter of eliminating competition than melding the good features of both.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out!

Jim
Old 28-10-2017, 13:26   #7

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I have a difficult time seeing this as being in the consumer's favor.
This kind of consolidation always results In less choice and higher costs.
I hope I am wrong.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 13:37   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
I have a difficult time seeing this as being in the consumer's favor.
This kind of consolidation always results In less choice and higher costs.
I hope I am wrong.

Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

iNavX is a powerful chart plotter program that can interface through Vesper or other NMEA 0183 WiFi to provide a fully integrated chart plotter. I frequently use it on my personal boat below decks as a second station. iNavX is my preferred plotter on other boats. With one tap, I can update all my charts!

Compare that with the Garmin business model, and buying Navionics to extinguish iNavX just makes sense.

This makes OpenCpn running on an Android tablet the next alternative...
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 16:52   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Garmin buys Navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
Sounds like they have an aggressive growth plan. 10 bucks says they aren't done yet.

Garmin expands, grows whatever by purchasing other companies, and then usually really improving on the original product line.
As many know Garmin pretty much is a leader in aircraft Avionics, they originally bought the Apollo product line from UPS. That got them into Avionics, and well, they almost own that market now.

Garmin has bought I believe over a dozen, usually smaller companies that don’t have the capital to do what Garmin can do with their product.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 17:49   #10

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Garmin expands, grows whatever by purchasing other companies, and then usually really improving on the original product line.
As many know Garmin pretty much is a leader in aircraft Avionics, they originally bought the Apollo product line from UPS. That got them into Avionics, and well, they almost own that market now.

Garmin has bought I believe over a dozen, usually smaller companies that don’t have the capital to do what Garmin can do with their product.
I use Garmin in my plane and on my boat..........because it works
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 18:43   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
I use Garmin in my plane and on my boat..........because it works
I don't use Garmin because of their policies relative to older instruments and firmware. Maybe not an issue for folks who get every new bit of kit that comes out, but for those of us who don't, and who like to get many years of useful service from our instruments, it is an issue.

Jim
Old 28-10-2017, 19:01   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

What Jim says is very true, they do not support “obsolete” equipment at all, and it becomes obsolete faster than you would think.
Unlike for example Bendix King, where Gary of Garmin first started, they will still repair your 1970’s KX-155.
Garmin is a mix of two names, Gary and Min I believe.

As a Garmin dealer I could get an employee discount that was unbelievable, it was less than what a dealer paid for the equipment. They were real strict though, had to be bought by personal credit card, shipped to your house etc, and it is registered by serial number as bought by an employee discount. I know because when I sent my 740S in for repair when talking to the rep to get the return number he knew it was bought that way, and the repair cost was about half of normal because of it.
If your a dealer, they treat you really well, and their Warranty support is excellent too.
Stuff is real intuitive to use, don’t even need to read a manual, easy to figure out.
Only problem is when you have had it for three years and it breaks you call and find out they don’t repair it anymore, it’s obsolete.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 03:22   #13

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Only problem is when you have had it for three years and it breaks you call and find out they don’t repair it anymore, it’s obsolete.
Thank you! When I point this out (along with all the positive points you also mention) I'm painted as a Garmin-basher. They also don't issue firmware updates for more than a couple of years after manufacture, which for me is a big issue that I don't need to re-litigate here.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 04:55   #14

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

This is huge news.

Garmin are a very frustrating company. They make some great gear then cripple it with poor software or purposely remove or limit features. They also take the Sony approach of rather than fixing something properly via firmware or adding new features, they just release a whole new piece of hardware and expect you to buy that, to get the features the original should have had in the first place. In addition, they do not support older equipment. Even equipment that is just 3-4 years old get all support completely pulled along with its accessories.

I like Navionics charts, which is one of the reasons I've not been tempted by Garmin marine hardware. I wonder if Garmin will release firmware updates allowing Navionics charts on their devices. From what I said above, I'm guessing no.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 05:27   #15

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

I doubt that this is good news. End of comment.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, navionics