Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2017, 05:39   #1

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2
Sailing Med to Asia

I am in Southern Spain at moment and sick of the Northern Hemisphere and now want to sail to Asia.
Is there anyone with any input into this?
I am not sure whether to go via Cape town?
Carribean and Sth Pacific?
Or Red sea to Oman and accross to Thailand then Malaysia?
I have searched the forum but cant find anything about this route.
My boat is more than capable i am just interested in the route suggestions.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 06:04   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Sailing Med to Asia

Do you have a copy of:

Jimmy Cornell, World Cruising Routes, Cornell Sailing; (April 2, 2014), ISBN 978-0957262645

I am curious: Which boat will you be using?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 06:17   #3

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

I have not read that but i have seen it. I will look for it but i was after peoples accounts on here as well.
The boat i have is 45ft long, designed by a British naval architect named, Angus Primrose. Built in 1968 as an admirals cup contender and offshore cruiser/racer.
I have restored the boat from the bare mahogany cold molded hull, which i stripped back and made repairs then right through to new mast, rigging, sails, engine, winches, electrics etc. Shes a brand new boat really. The internal furniture has'nt been touched but that is at the bottom of the list.
Got sick of it in dry dock and not able to use it.
Just got to install the water maker and wind generator now and paint the decks.
I am trying to decide whether to sand back the decks and repaint again or sand them back and renew with that fake teak deck you can get now.
The original decks are just painted and non slip.
Not sure whether i stick it down if it will be enough to not get moisture underneath and start rotting out the decks as i wont be able to see it.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 17:59   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Red Sea does not seem smart until Somalia's middle class has a car in every garage and doesn't need to prey on passing vessels for ransom. Carib/So Pac seems to be largely downwind if you wait for the right seasons. Capetown/Southern Ocean can be problematic. We had friends who got caught in weather off Durban (?) and couldn't make port for 3 days because waves were breaking across the breakwaters and the port was closed. If they had headed into the channel, the first wave would have picked them up and moved them 40m to the side. The second wave would have moved them another 40m. The third would have dropped them on the other breakwater. They spent 3 days dodging tankers also waiting to enter the harbor. I hear that the current around the Cape of Good Hope can add to the excitement.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 00:01   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We may be in the Red Sea this winter and wondering the same thing -- our problem is we are headed back to USA and not sure how to get from Asia back to the Panama Canal - all the options seem to be a bit tougher than I am
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 01:10   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing Med to Asia

Seems the Somalia problem is kicking off again.. have heard a coupla three reports of attempted raids on ships recently.
Personally I'd go the Panama/Pacific route.. it can take as short or long as you choose.
Gib to Panama can be done in 4-5 weeks.
Panama to Marquesas in 4-5 weeks
Marquesas to Timor Straits in 4-5 weeks.
Mind.. this allows minimum time at each stop, provisioning and topping tanks only.. apart from Panama which will be around 3-4 weeks waiting to get through.
Easy downwind sailing..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 01:48   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

Here's a blog from some acquitances who just did the Red Sea north bound in a small boat
https://turtlemail.blogspot.co.nz/20...l-transit.html
Old 14-05-2017, 08:09   #8

Boat: Bavaria 34

Hi

I think you can put your yacht on a carrier and transport it to Asia from Europe this might be a safer option or round the cape.

Mike
bck73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 08:38   #9

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

We sailed up the Red Sea from Thailand in 2005, and it was a great trip, but it was very arduous in sections.

I am a downwind sailor, and I would cross the Atlantic and do the Panama Canal and Pacific on the way to South East Asia. I will do almost anything to avoid sailing to windward and sailing in the high southern latitudes.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 09:41   #10

Boat: '82 Mikawa MKII 30'

What would be the shipping cost to throw a 30 footer onto a freighter or container ship and have it shipped from Japan, say, to Florida?
Matsubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 09:48   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsubob View Post
What would be the shipping cost to throw a 30 footer onto a freighter or container ship and have it shipped from Japan, say, to Florida?
When you find out, let us know.

Sevenstar Yacht Transport provides regular private yacht shipping services all year round.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 12:02   #12

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Red Sea does not seem smart until Somalia's middle class has a car in every garage and doesn't need to prey on passing vessels for ransom. Carib/So Pac seems to be largely downwind if you wait for the right seasons. Capetown/Southern Ocean can be problematic. We had friends who got caught in weather off Durban (?) and couldn't make port for 3 days because waves were breaking across the breakwaters and the port was closed. If they had headed into the channel, the first wave would have picked them up and moved them 40m to the side. The second wave would have moved them another 40m. The third would have dropped them on the other breakwater. They spent 3 days dodging tankers also waiting to enter the harbor. I hear that the current around the Cape of Good Hope can add to the excitement.
I think both people in Somilia's middle class may now have cars, but it has changed nothing. The Caribe/canal route is perhaps the best if done at the correct time of year. The only problem is if you visit a few places of interest on this route, your incentive to move on might suffer a delay anywhere from months to years, even, if you are fortunate, if it occurs at a less than optimal season. Do acquire a copy of Mr. Cornell's book (even the older editions have value, although not quite as reliable in some aspects -which is why there are newer ones).

BTW, you can do almost anything if your desire is just to get there, in addition to the suggestion about freighters, you could hire a delivery captain, or sell your boat and buy another when you arrive at or near your destination. BUT, I suspect you want to sail there on your refurbished and refitted boat. May you enjoy the sail, and fair winds. The decisions are yours all the way.
Old 23-05-2018, 02:02   #13

Hi Nauticalnomad, did you do it !? I got three of Jimmy Corenell's latest books for world passage planning, and was considering a route from Gibraltar to Japan via the Caribbeans, Panama canal, Galapagos, Clipperton Island, Hawaii, Marshall islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Guam, N Mariana islands, Farallon, Chichi-jima then Central Japan. After cruising Japan for a while, I would then head west to Thailand via Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, Hainan Island, (possibly Vietnam). What do you all think of the route?
nauticote is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia, sail, sailing