Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 05:26   #1

What is the best time and the shortest route to sail from the Mediterranean to Canada

I am planning a non-stop North Atlantic passage. The route I am thinking about is pretty much Gibraltar-Madeira-Bermuda-Halifax, without stopping in Madeira and Bermuda. After passing Gibraltar, I am planning to sail southwest enough to join trade winds at 32–30° latitude and then sail westbound until 200 miles east of Bermuda and finally head north to Halifax. As far as I have read so far, such a route can be taken in April-May before the hurricane season begins. I would appreciate any thoughts about this plan.
tarchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:03   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: What is the best time and the shortest route to sail from the Mediterranean to Ca

Madeira Bermuda April May is an engine route. Do you carry enough fuel?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:22   #3

Re: What is the best time and the shortest route to sail from the Mediterranean to Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Madeira Bermuda April May is an engine route. Do you carry enough fuel?

b.
It doesn't have to be Madeira-Bermuda. It was just an idea. What would be your non-stop Mediterranean-Canada route and time advice?
Old 10-05-2017, 07:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, tarchino.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:59   #5

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I don't think you will hit the trades at 30 degrees north...maybe 20, which is how columbus ended up in cuba. Best to consult with Jimmy Cornell's famous cruising guide.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:02   #6

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Personally, I prefer a Princess cruise in fall.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:07   #7

Boat: Heritage 35

I think at that time of year going E to W your going to get beat up in all that part of the Atlantic. That is usually the time to head East for the best winds and weather. If I was going E to W I would go North and do the North route Ireland to the Faroes or direct to Iceland if weather permits and then either W to Greenland or S/W to Newfoundland The winds that far North are generally N easters from Iceland down to NF or Westerlies. If you cross to Greenland and then the coast of Labrador then predominantly Westerlies and off shore so Seas are down. Distances between land masses are relatively short The longest legs would be Gib to Ireland Ind Iceland to NF or direct down to Nova Scotia.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 15:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, tarchino.
Thank you very much, that's great to join the club.
Old 10-05-2017, 16:13   #9

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
I think at that time of year going E to W your going to get beat up in all that part of the Atlantic. That is usually the time to head East for the best winds and weather. If I was going E to W I would go North and do the North route Ireland to the Faroes or direct to Iceland if weather permits and then either W to Greenland or S/W to Newfoundland The winds that far North are generally N easters from Iceland down to NF or Westerlies. If you cross to Greenland and then the coast of Labrador then predominantly Westerlies and off shore so Seas are down. Distances between land masses are relatively short The longest legs would be Gib to Ireland Ind Iceland to NF or direct down to Nova Scotia.
Is that route clear of 'bergs and bergy-bits by then?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 17:36   #10
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Best to consult with Jimmy Cornell's famous cruising guide.
Without a doubt. It will be the cheapest book you ever buy considering how your thinking right now.

Also, Google "April Atlantic ocean wind rose" and study it very closely.

Tags
Canada, mediterranean, route, sail