Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2016, 15:37   #1

Rutland 1200 wind gen

Hi Guys,
I'm looking at the Rutland 1200 to go on my boat. I had a D400 on the previous boat and liked event everything about it but the price and weight. This new Rutland seems to beat the D400 on those issues and promises similar or better performance and claims to be quiet. The unit is supplied with a MPPT charge controller that should maximise output at low wind speeds which sounds like an advance over the d400. The noise issue is the one that really concerns me, the blades look very similar to the air breeze that in my opinion makes a real racket, the last thing I want is to be driven round the bend with constant noise.
Has anybody had experience of this unit, or been moored next to one with it working? Thanks for any ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Williamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:58   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35
Re: Rutland 1200 wind gen

Hey WilliamP,

Have you purchased the Rutland 1200 yet? We are going to be purchasing a wind in the next few days and it's currently a toss-up between the D400 and the Rutland 1200.

As you said, the Rutland is less expensive and gives (slightly) better results. But with us too, the major concern is noise. Here is what their promo material says about noise:
"Rutland Winchargers power on...
Quietly – our fully integrated product designs result in quiet operation
so you can live aboard without disturbance from noisy blades."
Obviously no manufacturer is going to say "Hey, our product is so noisy it'll keep the whole marina awake!", but at least they do make a point of mentioning that it's quite for live aboards.

If anybody else has heard one (or better yet, NOT heard one) in operation, we'd love to hear from you...
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:39   #3

Hi,

I've not bought the wind gen yet, I'll wait till the Southampton boat show and decide which way to go then. Very cautious of being an early adopter. I do like the fact that Rutland also supply a pole mount which will go straight on my boat, that will probably swing it for me.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-07-2016, 06:55   #4

I am ordering one this week. It will take a while to get it installed but I will keep everyone updated as I go.

Note: If it's after July 2016 when you are reading this and I haven't posted my review of it then I forgot. Post and ask and I will respond.
Old 13-07-2016, 09:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLGCrawford View Post
I am ordering one this week. It will take a while to get it installed but I will keep everyone updated as I go.

Note: If it's after July 2016 when you are reading this and I haven't posted my review of it then I forgot. Post and ask and I will respond.
Hello,

I was wondering if somebody of you had experienced the rutland 1200. We arte thinking if buying it. Could you, please, give us some advise?
Our boat is now in Curaçao and next wanted we will be sailing to San Blas island.
Thank you very much
Raffaella
raffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 16:11   #6

I ordered mine last week from emarineinc.com. It arrived a few days later. I have not yet unboxed it. I am building a new hardtop bimini that will take a week or so. After that I will be installing the Rutland 1200.

I will let you know how it goes.
Old 21-08-2016, 06:58   #7

Hi David,

Did you mounted your Rutland 1200?
Do you have any advise on how is it working?

Thank you
Old 21-08-2016, 20:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffa View Post
Hi David,

Did you mounted your Rutland 1200?
Do you have any advise on how is it working?

Thank you

Honest, it's going on this week!

We are set to leave next weekend and REALLY want to have it done so it is a priority to get it up. I'll post once I've had it running a few days and can let you know.
Old 10-09-2016, 19:33   #9

Boat: Oyster 435

How was the trip? More importantly, how is the wind gen.
gpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 20:29   #10

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

I have been working on one for the last 2 weeks doing tests.

Performance quoted in sales literature is over rated. Its not a proper test into a dummy load. Empty batteries will show more charge, nearly full ones will show little charge.

Blades are quiet, but electrical growl transmitted through pole is substantial, but can be isolated with elastomeric mounts.

MPPT controller not working, but great support from Rutland means another one on its way for testing.

Temporary fix of 3phase bridge rectifier has seen good output, about the same as D400, but better than Aero6Gen and Airx in same anchorage.
Old 10-09-2016, 21:32   #11

Boat: Oyster 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post

Performance quoted in sales literature is over rated. Its not a proper test into a dummy load. Empty batteries will show more charge, nearly full ones will show little charge.

Blades are quiet, but electrical growl transmitted through pole is substantial, but can be isolated with elastomeric mounts.

MPPT controller not working, but great support from Rutland means another one on its way for testing.

Temporary fix of 3phase bridge rectifier has seen good output, about the same as D400, but better than Aero6Gen and Airx in same anchorage.
Thanks for the comments.
I am just about to pull the trigger on one myself. Assuming it actually can do 40W at 10 knots on an empty battery, thats all I can expect. Blade noise is the biggest issue for me and if they've cracked that issue with just the 3 blades, I'll be a happy camper. Emarine has put together a sound dampening pole mount system and your feedback indicates that this would be a worthwhile investment. Marlec mentions it already comes with a pole... Still working on sorting that out.
As much as I hate the sound of wind in an anchorage, I need some way of generating power once we leave the sun belt. The 1200 seems to be a good compromise across the board. I just wish they'd get their damn controller quality sorted...
Gary
gpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 10:05   #12

Hello,
thanks for your review
Sorry, my english is not so fluent and I didn't well understood if, at the end, you would suggest to buy a Rutland 1200 or not?

We need to buy a new wind generator in the next days.
The alternative would be a D400 but it is a bit too expensive for us....

Any suggestion would be very appreciate.....

Thanks
Raffaella

S/y Obiwan
obiwanavela.blogspot.it

Quote:

Old 19-09-2016, 01:39   #13

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
. Blades are quiet, but electrical growl transmitted through pole is substantial, but can be isolated with elastomeric mounts .

What do you mean by 'electrical growl'? Is this vibration from the wind generator itself transferred into the pole? Have you installed the elastomeric mounts and if so, has this alleviated or minimized the growl/vibration?

Im considering pushing the buy button for the 1200 so quite interested in the feedback.

Thanks, Steve
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 07:47   #14

The Southampton show has finally arrived and I took a couple of hours to have a look at the options. The D400 option is looking unlikely due to weight cost and somewhat agricultural regulation. The 1200 looked a bit cheaply constructed, the chap there was very helpful and when asked about the failed regulator said that it had been damaged in transit by heat affecting a membrane on the front and that it had now been redesigned. The one I will probably end up going with is the silent wind which looked a nicely built thing. It comes with a mppt reg and has a 3 year warranty which is better than any of the opposition. The rep was very convincing re the noise issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-10-2016, 01:32   #15

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS

Hi all
have any of you been able to assess the Rutland 1200 yet? Like others I am keen to get a WT but obviously want to make sure that whichever we buy lives up to the PR (if that is a realistic proposition). Cheers for now
SJFK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rutland, wind