Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 09:55   #1

Boat: O'Day 40
Dickinson Mediterranean 3 burner stove

We replaced our 30 year old Tasco stove with a new Dickinson Mediterranean.
The old stove had done well but only had 2 burners, no safety thermocouples and no igniters for the stove top.
After lots of on-line research and looking at the Force 10 and Dickinson closely we decided on the Dickinson.
The Force 10 stoves appear to have dropped in quality since they started building them offshore, with lots of sharp edges some quality issues.

The Dickinson is great. It lights instantly, holds an even oven temperature and has a big enough burner to bring a big pot of pasta to a boil quickly. Better yet you can turn the burners down to a simmer without them going out! The old Tasco required lots of fiddling to get a low flame.

Most of the edges are finger friendly, although I did take a file to the edges of the pot retaining hardware.

It is easy to keep clean and the brushed exterior finish is easier to maintain than a polished finish. it also goes better with our brushed stainless counter tops.

The Admiral likes it so much that she says we will have to take it with us if we ever move back to dirt.
The only issue was width. It seems the old Tasco stoves were a little narrower than the current North American standard. The gimbal brackets are a tad too wide to fit our space, so I had a couple of brackets machined out of aluminium at a local shop. I haven't installed them yet but a trial fit looks good.
As a bonus it is made right here in BC, showing that it is possible to build a quality product at a competitive price in Canada.

I had a couple of questions that I emailed to the factory and got instant answers so support appears to be good.

The experience has been so positive that we bought a new Dickinson barbecue to replace the too small barrel style Force 10 that we had been using for 25 years. It is well made and well thought out and we've enjoyed some great steaks on it.

There was a small issue with the barbecue cover. The draw string was sewn into the sleeve in 1 spot so it was difficult to tighten, I emailed the factory, got a request for our address, and received a new one in the mail a couple of days later. Once again great service!
Old 01-05-2016, 10:13   #2

Re: Dickinson Mediterranean 3 burner stove

Agreed on Dickinson quality.

I've owned the Newport propane heater and the Lofoten diesel heater.

The Lofoten was very difficult to use, but was built well. The Newport propane heater is extremely efficient and is a perfect heater in all respects. Vented too, so no CO risk. A great company.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:48   #3

Boat: Formosa 41

We installed a Dickinson Med. a few years ago and love it.

One quirk is that as the oven cools down a heat shield, (or something,) makes a gong sound, similar to someone striking cookie sheet hung by a string, with a rubber hammer.

Does yours do that?
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:57   #4

Boat: O'Day 40

Yes ours "gongs" too. I suspect it is the burner shield.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-05-2016, 07:42   #5

Boat: Leopard 40

I wish they would have had this stove out when we bought our new stove almost two years ago. We do have a Dickinson BBQ and love it. It never goes out in high winds. Just looked at the dimensions. It's too deep for us. That's probably a good thing.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:33   #6

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We bought our present boat with two Dickinson diesels. An Atlantic in the forward compartment for heat, cooking and hot water and a smaller one aft just for heat. These stoves are 35 years old. We have had to replace the fuel metering valves on both, but parts are readily available if a bit pricey.

I would not have enjoyed one minute of this past winter in the Pacific Northwest with gales every 3 days and torrential rain if it had not been for our stoves. We've even named the forward stove, and you know anthropomorphizing an inanimate object means you're in love.....

The people at Dickinson have always responded to our questions, mailed new user manuals to us and generally been a treat to deal with. I'll always jump on the bandwagon for these folks.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 20:20   #7

Just bought and installed a new Dickinson Carribbean two burner stove/oven. Could not be happier! Fit an d finish is superb. It's almost like having a professional gourmet range on board. Easy to light, the oven and broiler work great and it is easy to keep clean. Highly recommended!
Capt. Vdub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dickinson, mediterranean