Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 18:12   #1

Boat: 1981 Flicka 20
Possible Islamic State attack on Egyptian Navy

Hasn't gained too much traction yet on American news, however a few sources are reporting a failed hijacking attempt on an Egyptian Navel vessel.

Islamic State Hijacks Egyptian Naval Missile Ship | Clarion Project

'Egypt thwarts Islamic State-linked bid to hit Israeli targets at sea' | The Times of Israel

I realize anyone cruising towards to Suez is already wary of Somali pirates but this is a bit more troublesome.
Old 02-12-2014, 18:40   #2

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter
Re: Possible Islamic State attack on Egyptian Navy

In between rebuilding the interior of my boat and getting the topsides painted I have all I need to concern myself with here in sunny Naples Florida. Have a hard time giving a s--t what's happening in Egypt. This apparently endless attachment to fear is why I gave up television right after 911. What did the man say, "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself' Does it not also strike anyone else as interesting/curious that the day after the US midterm elections, Ebola and ISIS went away? Everyday, endless talk of how we're all gonna die, or their coming to get us. And then poof. Gone. Diagnosis? ********. We seem to be addicted to fretting and seeing boogey men wherever we go. The people we are concerned with over there are the same ones we've been funding and fighting for a dozen years. Stop funding them. Besides, whats gonna get us, in the end, isn't in some exotic place and it's Islamic warriors, or mysterious medical malady, what's going to kill you is in our refrigerators.
Old 02-12-2014, 18:49   #3

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
In between rebuilding the interior of my boat and getting the topsides painted I have all I need to concern myself with here in sunny Naples Florida. Have a hard time giving a s--t what's happening in Egypt. This apparently endless attachment to fear is why I gave up television right after 911. What did the man say, "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself' Does it not also strike anyone else as interesting/curious that the day after the US midterm elections, Ebola and ISIS went away? Everyday, endless talk of how we're all gonna die, or their coming to get us. And then poof. Gone. Diagnosis? ********. We seem to be addicted to fretting and seeing boogey men wherever we go. The people we are concerned with over there are the same ones we've been funding and fighting for a dozen years. Stop funding them. Besides, whats gonna get us, in the end, isn't in some exotic place and it's Islamic warriors, or mysterious medical malady, what's going to kill you is in our refrigerators.

LoL!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 18:54   #4

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
... what's going to kill you is in our refrigerators.
baba ganoush? I knew it!
Old 02-12-2014, 19:28   #5

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

"The people of England have been led in Mesopotamia into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honor. They have been tricked into it by a steady withholding of information. The Baghdad communiques are belated, insincere, incomplete. Things have been far worse than we have been told, our administration more bloody and inefficient than the public knows. It is a disgrace to our imperial record, and may soon be too inflamed for any ordinary cure. We are today not far from a disaster."
T.E Lawrenece, (Lawrence of Arabia) August 1920

History repeats, but who's listening.
Old 02-12-2014, 19:41   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
In between rebuilding the interior of my boat and getting the topsides painted I have all I need to concern myself with here in sunny Naples Florida. Have a hard time giving a s--t what's happening in Egypt. ....
Does it not also strike anyone else as interesting/curious that the day after the US midterm elections, Ebola and ISIS went away? Everyday, endless talk of how we're all gonna die, or their coming to get us. And then poof. Gone.

Do you know how this sounds? I am sure the folks in Kobani Syria will be glad to know that the a-holes trying to kill them are not real. Must be the weed they are smoking.

Like many I lost friends in the attack, I just try to filter what I hear. Gotta love the BBC as a great source for a foreign view of the news.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 02-12-2014, 20:57   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

A couple of posts have been removed already and as this thread has nothing to do with cruising we are closing it before it gets everybody carried away.

Coops.

Tags
Egypt, navy