Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2010, 08:59   #16

Boat: Franz Berg custom 28' sloop Southern Cross 1935
OK ! can't resist. John Cherubini Was one of the best designers of all time. Who built the boat is most important. The 37 is a very good choice BUT water sailing">Blue Water sailing it demands refit as others have explained. The old Fast Passage 39 was a round the world raced boat and performed well. The only compliant was the stock sheet winches were too small. The boat performed well was comfortable and when I looked at it after the race in Annapolis MD. it looked fine. Can't say that for most stock boats that are raced. Cruising is another story of course but you could be in some "I wish I weren't here" weather or as an old Rudder magazine cartoon put it ( picture two guys in weather gear">foul weather gear BIG waves raining) "MUST BE HELL ASHORE" caption. Old boats ( 10 yrs.+) usually need a total refit no matter how they are used. Preplanning an ocean crossing or any long distance sailing is always required.
kjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 14:44   #17

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41
HI - I have a H27 in Pensacola that has been in my family since 1983, boat is 1981. Its a great boat 4 size, no complaints. next 2 me @ sabine marina is a 1981 H37. The owner is a long time member of Mobile Yacht Club and has owned several boats. He bought this one on Chesapeake Bay and sailed it ALL the way 2 Mobile in 1 trip, (about 2 mts), and says the trip was best part of boat. It is a very good looking vessel and I am green with envy. I dont care what anyone says, these cherubini hunters r a great value and realitivy easy 2 maintain.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 13:59   #18

Google "Rainbow Chaser" or look on Cruisenews.net. Couple liked theirs. A friend knows the wife. Ken
Ken on Satori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 13:41   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Hunter Cherubini 37 - Thoughts ?

Ran across a pic of my previous H37 Cutter and thought I would add it to this old thread.

The H37 Cutter is a great boat! Owned one for many years. Did lots of near coastal heavy weather sailing in the Gulf of Mexico and NW Carib. Would not hesitate to take one offshore. I have met several owners who have done trans-atlantic crossings in theirs and had nothing but good to say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vela Narcosis Corpus Christi Jetties.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	46757  
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 14:20   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken on Satori View Post
Google "Rainbow Chaser" or look on Cruisenews.net. Couple liked theirs. A friend knows the wife. Ken
I almost bought Rainbow Chaser when I was looking for another boat and living in Rockport, Tx. There was and probably still is a lot of info on a Hunter website.

Anyway, I think the older Cherubini's were the best boats Hunter ever produced.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 15:16   #21

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle

I am very partial to them as well! Ours has a black hull (we re-gelcoated the hull and topsides) - dang good lookin and the fastest thing on the lake!
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 12:09   #22

Boat: Hunter 37 Cherubini Cutter 1979

dniello,

Did you decide to buy the Hunter 37 Cherubini?
Old 24-06-2013, 12:25   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hunter Cherubini 37 - Thoughts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohnson View Post
OK ! can't resist. John Cherubini Was one of the best designers of all time. Who built the boat is most important. The 37 is a very good choice BUT Blue Water sailing it demands refit as others have explained. The old Fast Passage 39 was a round the world raced boat and performed well. The only compliant was the stock sheet winches were too small. The boat performed well was comfortable and when I looked at it after the race in Annapolis MD. it looked fine. Can't say that for most stock boats that are raced. Cruising is another story of course but you could be in some "I wish I weren't here" weather or as an old Rudder magazine cartoon put it ( picture two guys in foul weather gear BIG waves raining) "MUST BE HELL ASHORE" caption. Old boats ( 10 yrs.+) usually need a total refit no matter how they are used. Preplanning an ocean crossing or any long distance sailing is always required.
By some... a few of us just have a sense of 'Superiority'... or so I've been told...
H37's are very nice to sail...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 14:44   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Used to own one. Like most owners I loved my 37C!!

Never technically did any trans-oceanic runs aboard her (though I know a few other owners who have), but road out plenty of rough weather on her in the GOM (easily one of the potentially nastiest bodies of water on the planet). Cruised her all around the GOM and N. Carib.

Sails great. Well behaved in heavy weather.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 14:44   #25

Just started a new thread on my Cherubini 33, 1979. Built like a tank.
Captain Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 15:11   #26

We had a friend with one and he ended up on a reef in the Bay Islands. Boat got a pretty good workout on that reef which wiped out his rudder and some very deep chunks out of the hull but it stayed intact and the Coast Guard pulled him off the reef. I think the deep scratches were probably the thickness of most new hulls on high production boats these days, anyways he ordered a new rudder and did some touch ups on the topsides and bottom and hes back in business so id say that is a pretty tough boat and obviously heavily laid up.He loves that boat and it's a good sailor so might be an ok choice as long as it's surveyed by someone who knows the design.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, hunter cherubini