Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2015, 15:26   #16

Boat: Morgan OI 41 CCS
Re: From NYC, NY to Houston Texas

I will look for the guidebook for sure and yes! online world is magical! It is like I would be making this trip with all you guys and than some more! Hard to screw up when there are so many willing to help coaching! Cool!
AAFMIAMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 15:55   #17

super tip! thank you
Old 22-11-2015, 16:02   #18

thank you! I was glad to learn about it! Super!
Old 12-01-2016, 16:46   #19

I got so many great advice and now almost 2 month later I come back and as I read it all over again it blows my mind how every single of your advice now translates so different inside my head! lol
Imagining the words and having experienced them are 2 totally different faces of the same coin!
Just to update my trip.

I got to NYC on December 09 and had to deal with many little things holding me in there for another week of non stop spending money....
After that I finally left on my first attempt of going south and by the time I did pass the Statue of Liberty a hose cracked and coolant sprayed all over the hot engine and the smoke that made was so thick that I could not even understand what was going on! First thing in my mind was fire! Tide was flying out and situation was a little stressing right at the very beginning! A passing by NYPD boat came to our rescue and in just a few minutes of running my powerful exhaust fan I could see the problem!
Police had to tow us back to the marina because there was no boat US towing available once or ever.
Having the police towing us was a blessing even though it did cost quite a lot in damages to my hull! Expensive defenses lost, deep fiberglass scratches 2 broken port windows and they almost convinced me to cut lose my super expensive anchor with 300ft of line out too!!!!
But anyway thank you very much NYPD you are the best!...
So, after a few new couplings and a new WP impeller later we were ready to try it again!
We left the marina late afternoon with the tide and great wind! Blowing NW
right at the exit of the NY harbor, coast guard decided to approach us and ask 10,000 questions in the middle of the Canal marks in the dark they could not get to close because of the strong wind and with all wind noise and engine and stress with the marks I could not understand them until I had to get the megaphone and ask them to please let me get out of the canal first and talk over the radio.... They agreed and everything was alright!

So there we go.... it is 37F outside and I am dressed to cruise the North Pole and it was not enough! Cleared the Canal and started entering the coastline to protect from the NW wind and get on my way, It was a little hell for 5 miles entering back sideways.... to be on the .5 mile from the shore line but we made it and went down with a perfect wind pushing us from the back.
Navigated all night and we did the first stop near shore a mile outside the inlet and there we slept the first leg. That morning the engine heater stop working and things got very cold very fast at 27F that early morning! I used the stove all 3 burners going full blast and I that saved the day.

We started again went all the way down to the lighthouse inlet, (beautiful) and took a day break around there!

The temperature was dropping fast and I could not find out what was wrong with the engine heater So we were there using the electric ones and recovering from the little traumatic experience with the cold!

So once again he go and this time we made all the way to the Golden Nugget Marina in Atlantic City where we loved so much that we decided to call it a try and leave Abigail safe and sound there until April first! LOL We did talk about that over and over and absolutely no need to make out of that enjoyable trip a real nightmare to remember!
So we will just wait for the warmer winds and we will do another go....

But I guess you all knew that better...
At least now I am proud to say that I had learned my lesson well with my very intense short 100 miles! of North Atlantic Winter Experience.

More adventures coming later!

Thank you all

Tags
houston, nyc, texas