Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 10:08   #1

Boat: Bavaria 40 Ocean
Norwegian catamaran sinks outside of Morocco.

From Norwegian news. All is Well with the crew.

(In Norwegian)
https://www.vg.no/nyheter/i/ngx9ym/s...orliste-baaten

(Google translate)
The boat that was missing was a newly acquired 44-foot catamaran, which was to sail from Tenerife to Trondheim.

"I and two friends of mine went through the boat carefully before we started the sailing Saturday 1 September. It seemed to be in good condition, and we sailed to Lanzarote and then to Agadir in North Africa, the boat owner and captain Arne Gjevik told VG.
In the afternoon of Wednesday, September 5th, they threw away, this time with another passenger on board, and turned upwards towards Casa Blanca.
At the port office in the Moroccan coastal town, they had been issued a weather forecast showing fresh breeze.
"From Agadir there was a good weather and quiet sea. After sailing for five to six hours, we saw that the sea in front of us was uneasy. Throughout the night we got quite unexpected and very windy, "says Gjevik.
When Gjevik woke up at 03.00, there was a lot of sea and high waves.
"After a while I received a warning that a pump had started, and I soon realized we took water. I first checked the harbor hull but found nothing. On the starboard hull, however, there was half a meter of water, he said.
Gjevik opened the door to the bathroom, where it turned out to be a big hole.
- It watered water against me. I ran into the lounge and picked up a seat cushion from the sofa. I tried to close the gap with this, but this was useless. The pillow disappeared through the hole and into the sea.

"The hole was probably due to the boat having hit an object in the sea, but since it hurts so much on board when it is troubled sea, we did not hear anything," said Gjevik, who quickly woke up the other three.
Despite both electric and manual water pumps, the captain and crew realized on board that they had to get up on the boat.
"We took on life jackets and triggered an emergency mirror transmitter. While we waited for help, we sat on the part of the hull that was still flowing. It started to get cold, but the temperature in the sea was fortunately nice, says Gjevik.
They had also blown up a liferaft and attached it to the boat.
"Because of the high waves, there was a lot of water on the fleet, which caused it to disappear. Then we suddenly left nothing. We therefore attached all the fenders together to a ring, so we had extra float help if we had to jump in the sea.
I can only speak to myself and I was not afraid. As a captain on board I had to keep my head cold. There could be a panic, but we kept up and tackled the situation well. At 11 o'clock Thursday morning, finally, came the help.
"The Moroccan Navy threw out a big float that we crossed over before they dragged us one by one over to the lifeboat.

The boat trip to land took about two and a half hours. Here the crew got dry clothes, food and the opportunity to call home before being sent to a hotel.
Gjevik praises Moroccan authorities for the help they received.
- The authorities even met at the hotel the following day to hear if we needed anything. They also helped us get a cab that drove us to the embassy, he says.
Gjevik, who came home Saturday night, said that they received very good help from Salah Eddine Essayyagh, who served as an interpreter.
"Without it, he'd never been so painless," he said.
Barbaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 22:33   #2

Re: Norwegian catamaran sinks outside of Morocco.

Cool headed Captain kept the crew focused on the abandonship tasks and all survived. Best outcome possible, good job Captain! Hope they were all able to pack their personal items into their own ditch bags. Smart idea to create the fender ring, again showing that the Captain continued to consider all means possible to save his crew.

Tags
catamaran, Morocco