Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2019, 19:14   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: How long do you trust your water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEACEMAKER 455 View Post
i have thought about dropping a handfull of pure silver granuals down into water tank does any one see a problem with this ?will they get sucked into water pump?
Hey, silver worked for the Lone Ranger, so why not you?

Silver, like other heavy metals, is toxic when ingested. Would you happily put a handful of lead in your tanks?

Jim

Old 18-05-2019, 20:10   #32

Boat: HANSE 455 45 feet

silver is used extensively now in water treatment and in filters it kills pathogens and even legionnaires disease in water replacement hip joints are silver plated now to prevent infection nasa uses it to treat water and drinking colloidal silver water is supposed to cure a lot of ailments so no you are right i would not put lead in my water tank

PEACEMAKER 455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 21:20   #33

The definition of what is a heavy metal is loose and ill defined. The elements that fit 'the most' definitions are mercury, lead, thallium and bismuth, the latter is interestingly only mildly toxic.

Gold (heavier than silver) has been ingested without ill effect.

Silver is currently used as a bacteriostat in treating municipal water. It works really well.

Argyria and agyrosis do not impair body function, but are cosmetically undesirable.

US EPA and WHO water standards are 0.1mg/L over a lifetime of exposure.

https://www.epa.gov/dwstandardsregul...ance-chemicals

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24231525

https://www.dartmouth.edu/~toxmetal/...ilver-faq.html They claim that EPA limits are 1mg/L (?)

https://academic.oup.com/annweh/article/49/7/575/148203
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 23:35   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

OK, silver isn't as toxic as lead or some other bad actors. However, the drinking water limit of 0.1 ppm is fairly low, and refers to metallic silver, not to any soluble compounds. i'm not sure of what chemistry might occur in very long term immersion in waters of varying pH and chlorination, so won't worry about the generation of more soluble species, and I agree that it is unlikely that the 0.1 ppm will be exceeded from his proposed practice.

I'm not sure what beneficial effects Peacemaker is anticipating from the silver granules in his tanks. Simply dumping them in is not likely to have the same effects as the carefully engineered applications in anti-microbial filters, etc. It likely won't hurt him much either... I suspect that the curative benefits he mentions are much like those from wearing copper bracelets.

All in all, my earlier warning was excessively paranoid, and I'll retract it.

Jim
Old 19-05-2019, 00:05   #35

How long do you trust your water?

Gee. I thought we were about to discuss incontinence!
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 00:33   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I know that was in jest, but apparently back in the day on Europe there were so many water borne diseases that only the poor drank water, most drank either weak wine or weak beer.
Just a little alcohol I guess kills these disease organisms
I had a friend that his last name was Drinkwater, he told me that.
It's the bottom fermenting process which cleans real beers (not lager a top fermenting process) taking out any nasties. Poor Romans were okay drinking cheap wine but the rich drank wine that was fermented in lead lined tanks and suffered progressive lead poisoning leading to symptoms of madness.

We bleach our tanks each year with a little tub of stuff from the chandlers but think bleach can also be used. Thick bleach just sinks to the bottom of the tank, been there. After a couple of hours flush through and run a second tank full through the tank and discharge. I agree with Sailorchic and don't like filters. If there is something wrong in the tank I want to know straight away not have the problem masked with a filter. That said most of Europe has very high quality water and in the UK it's heavily regulated and monitored.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 13:41   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe it was actually Ale and not Beer, but I donít know what the difference is, or if itís just the name.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 15:07   #38

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

I have 4 25 gal water tanks in my boat.
I always add a little Clorox when I fill the tanks.
If I am getting water from a source I'm not confident in I only fill one or two tanks and use that water for cleaning and showers. Tanks can be decontaminated latter if I need to. So far not the case.

Drinking water is then in separate tanks I'm always confident in.

I'm going to look into the hydrogen water next.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 15:47   #39

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

When I joined a ship in Korea in the shipyards there was a U.V. light set up at the potable water tank fill valves back in the steering gear room. We were in a filthy harbor and unable to run the evaporators. Taking on dock water and going through the U.V. light seemed to work. The reason I mention this is when I bought my boat a few years ago the previous owner had a smaller U.V. light with filters and it came with the boat. I think I'll try it at home. We have 1,000 gals. potable water in 4 tanks for emergency supply. I figure it can't hurt. I'll have to dig it out and see if it's 12 volt or 120 volt.
I change out the water in the tanks every 6 months, rinse the tanks and refill and dose the new batch water with 1 cup chlorine per 250 gals.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 12:29   #40

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe it was actually Ale and not Beer, but I donít know what the difference is, or if itís just the name.

I had heard this story years ago and had to look it up again. Very interesting. I remember Sister Teresa telling of drinking Grog in poor villages and getting a buzz! I always wondered where they got the booze.

From Wikipedia:

"Sailors require significant quantities of fresh water on extended voyages. Since desalinating sea water was not practical, fresh water was taken on board in casks but quickly developed algae and became slimy. Stagnant water was sweetened with beer or wine to make it palatable, which involved more casks and was subject to spoilage. As longer voyages became more common, the task of stowage became more and more difficult and the sailors' substantial daily ration of water plus beer or wine began to add up. Following England's conquest of Jamaica in 1655, a half-pint (2 gills, or 284 mL) of rum gradually replaced beer and brandy as the drink of choice. Given to the sailor straight, this caused additional problems, as some sailors saved the rum rations for several days to drink all at once. Due to the subsequent illness and disciplinary problems, the rum was mixed with water. This both diluted its effects and accelerated its spoilage, preventing hoarding of the allowance. Vernon's 1740 order that the daily rum issue of a half pint of rum be mixed with one quart of water and issued in two servings, before noon and after the end of the working day, became part of the official regulations of the Royal Navy in 1756 and lasted for more than two centuries. This gives a water-to-rum ratio of 4:1."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grog
Old 20-05-2019, 13:32   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We turn or use our supply rather rapidly. I make water usually when we hit a half tank of water which happens roughly twice a week, so we make water every three days or so, and use the entire contents of a tank every week.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:56   #42

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Bill View Post
I change out the water in the tanks every 6 months, rinse the tanks and refill and dose the new batch water with 1 cup chlorine per 250 gals.

Sounds rather wasteful.
I bleach-shocked the tanks when I bought the boat and never again, as I'm meticulous about the water quality when I top it up. Also adding siver ions is supposed to prevent bacterial growth.
The drinking water then comes in through a filter under the sink which doesn't let any metals through.
Old Today, 01:46   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The longest we have left the boat for was about 8 months. We continued to use the water till it was gone when we returned. There were no noticeable ill effects.

I think you guys are over-thinking the issue. Be attentive. If you take on weird water, shock it with chlorine and filter out the chloriine, and a simple charcoal filter will do that.

Disclaimer: if you are someone who never encounters something dirty, you may need to be more careful than we.

Ann
Old Today, 06:45   #44

I have the exact same boat, 34 galon is a pretty small water tank. It will be hard to do a full week on it. So nothing to be scared about.

Aircool is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water