Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2015, 13:24   #1

South Africa to Florida

I may need a crew to help me sail a 38 catamaran from South Africa to Florida. Since I don't have much experience , I will need people with knowledge and experience. Lets talk.
Old 30-12-2015, 09:15   #2

Re: South Africa to Florida

Please see the attached
Bob Burg (Charisma1937)
Columbia, SC

Sailing Resume

College graduate, have sailed the Bahamas and Caribbean for the last 40 years on sail and powerboats, mostly sail. Have owned and sailed 32’ Down east sloop, 43’ Choy Lee motor sailor, 55’ Lagoon catamaran, 65’ Hatteras long-range cruiser, and a 16’ Hobie Cat. Am experienced in the Bahamas and most of the islands in the Caribbean as far as the ABC islands. In my first life I was a freelance corporate pilot and wholesale liquor distributor. I can perform all sailing responsibilities including navigation, sail handling, standing watch, cooking, tending bar and being a good host. I’m PADI certified and I can fix minor mechanical problems, but I’m not an engineer. I require expenses to and from the boat and while engaged. Available June 1, 2016 until whenever.
Old 30-12-2015, 11:06   #3

Sorry, I was thinking more of __a participating in the expenses,__ kind of offer.
Old 30-12-2015, 11:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanlou View Post
Sorry, I was thinking more of __a participating in the expenses,__ kind of offer.
Delivery skippers are paid to do deliveries because they have the knowledge and experience to do so.

I would check with your insurance company about what they want in a crew.

I did a delivery from Cape Town to Fernando de Noronha in September October. The insurance company had a close look at my resume.

If this is a Leopard cat you are moving, talk to Tuimarine about their delivery skippers.
Old 30-12-2015, 12:45   #5

Pm send
Best regards
Zbig
Old 30-12-2015, 12:58   #6

several persons have written to me , and I am sorry that I have not been more precise about my crew needed request.
there it is.
I need people who know more than me about sailing ( that is not difficult ), and who will not be paid, but on the contrary , will pay their flights to South Africa and pay their return flight from Florida or Europe , if we go to Spain.
Also who will participate to the food expenses,
Old 30-12-2015, 17:50   #7

Boat: 19' Lightning

Quote:
I may need a crew to help me sail a 38 catamaran from South Africa to Florida. Since I don't have much experience , I will need people with knowledge and experience. Lets talk.
Looks to me like an accident about to happen. Ship the damned thing, you may get it there.
Old 30-12-2015, 18:24   #8

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

If you pay their flights, your are committed at worst. they are out a few weeks if you change your mind. If they are responsible for flying in and you change your mind, realize you dont or cant do it. Now they are out their money and time. As jackdale said You need an experienced captain or your insurance co may not cover you. No offense at all but if someone has that experience and a capt ticket, why pay lots out of pocket for what they can get paid to do? Shipping it may not be a bad plan.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-12-2015, 18:33   #9

Boat: Pearson 365

Usually people who are willing to pay just want some experience. People who have lots of experience want to get paid at least something. If they have been there done that and got the t-shirt, why would they want to pay and do it again. I would be very careful.
Old 30-12-2015, 19:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmo View Post
Looks to me like an accident about to happen. Ship the damned thing, you may get it there.
Good plan. If the boat is a Leopard, they can arrange it.

If not, get a delivery skipper who is also an instructor. Your insurance company will be happy when you get the certification. They will likely give you discount.

BTW - the other advise that an experienced delivery skipper can provide is how to prepare the boat for the trip.
Old 31-12-2015, 01:07   #11

Have you given any thought to your sail plan course? Are you aware of the course options and respective challengers as well as dangers of each? Have you decided on a date to leave South Africa based on weather planning or is your departure based on other considerations?

You do realize that sailing is not like jumping into a car and going. For instance even between different cat manufacturers you can have different rigging that can affect the sails you use in say high winds and seas. Get it wrong or over sheet and you could be at best loosing your mast. Now you do realize the consequences of loosing a mast in the middle of the Atlantic where you are too far from any coast to motor in? You also realize that this journey is not a high frequency passage so SAR could be very hard to come by? Do you realize that you have pirates on both sides of the Atlantic that should be factored in to your sailing strategy?

But what the heck. Why not just go for it. Get together a couple of people who may know a little more than you. Nothing like a couple of extra hot dog newbie sailors to float upside down with in the middle of the Atlantic.

I would think it more prudent that you spent at least a month learning the ropes and all aspects of your sailing your boat before setting out. And for me that is still way to risky. By the way you say your are sailing from South Africa. Does that mean you will be sailing around the cape?
Old 31-12-2015, 01:55   #12

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v

There are normally only youngsters looking for mileage that would do this sort of trip and then you still have a problem with experienced crew. Anyone who has a good bit of mileage wouldn't want to do this for fun.
Sorry to say, but you may have a bit of a problem getting crew with experience without paying (as mentioned in earlier post)
Wish you all the best anyway.
Old 31-12-2015, 01:57   #13

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v

To Add - This time of the year is the best time to leave because of the trade winds so this timeline may also be a problem.
Old 31-12-2015, 14:20   #14

This time of the year is the best time to leave because of the trade winds so this timeline may also be a problem. __________________

Now , this , I don't get.
this time of year is the best time...
and therefore I will have problems?

My idea was to cross from south Africa to St Helens, then to Brazil, then to the Caribbean,

beyond all the others issues, is this a good itinerary?
Old 31-12-2015, 15:02   #15

Quote:
This time of the year is the best time to leave because of the trade winds so this timeline may also be a problem. __________________

Now , this , I don't get.
this time of year is the best time...
and therefore I will have problems?

My idea was to cross from south Africa to St Helens, then to Brazil, then to the Caribbean,

beyond all the others issues, is this a good itinerary?
That is a good route - it is the one I took.

You will need proof medical evacuation insurance for St Helena and visas for Brazil. The visas take time. You cannot get them on arrival.

Water and fuel are issues in St Helena and Fernando de Noronha. Do you have watermaker? We carries 800 liters of fuel. 300 in each of two tanks and 200 in jerry cans.

As the delivery skipper I was paid a per diem and all expenses.

Tags
Africa, florida, South Africa