Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2013, 12:17   #1

BVI Charter Reviews

HI,

Has anyone chartered with The Captains Compass? We're planning one or two weeks on a Cat in Feb 2014. Only four of us but we want four cabins. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

We've used Moorings in the past. The yacht was great with the small exception that one water tank overflowed. Moorings themselves sent us to only the most expensive restaurants on the island even though we said we wanted a light meal. Outside of that everything was great.

happy sailing
sailingisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:51   #2

Boat: Randell Motorsailer 33
Re: BVI Charter Reviews

I haven't heard of them. We always sail with Sunsail and knock on wood we have had no problems. We stick with the newer yachts though. The Sunsail crew in the BVI's aren't super friendly or helpful. Sunsail from St. Vincent, St. Martin, And the Whitsundays are fabulous. imho.

Good luck. Have you thought about renting directly from owners? It seems they are mostly Moorings and Sunsail yachts. I'm considering that route next year.

Happy sailing!

robinm
robinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:36   #3

Thanks for the reply, I found some great reviews on traveltalkonline. I'd like to rent from an owner but can't find out how to do it.
sailingisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 07:50   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Check Sailonline.com for owners time.

Only problem with owners time is a good number of those selling time own in Moorings or Sunsail and owners time can't be sold in the high season (Dec 15 - Apr 15)
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 15:54   #5

I have some owner time left for 2013 on a Sunsail 444. Email me if you have interest.
Need2Breathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 09:35   #6

How to Tortola-

Direct flight into STT
(10 minute van)
Hop ferry to West End.
(5 minute taxi)
Board your Voyage cat and head for Soggy's.

Direct flight to STT adds almost a full day of vacation to each visit.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 12:02   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Problem is, many places don't have flights direc to STT. For us, JetBlue to San Juan is the better choice since its an overnight flight and we can take the first flight the next day on Cape Air or Seaborne and be on the boat by noon.

All depends on where someone is coming from on what works best.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 16:52   #8

Boat: Robertson & Caine Leopard 40

We have chartered with Captains's Compass (last year in Feb) and are leaving on Sunday for another charter with them. We were on the Beneteau "CHAACHAA" last year and loved the boat. Brent Fennell the owner sets the boat up, gets you checked out with up to date weather and really has his vessels in Very Good mechanical shape. They are not the newest boats but they are well taken care of. You will find the usual blemishes on a slightly older boat but ours sailed like a dream and didn't cost us an arm and a leg. We had an incident where the dingy banged against the dock (use your stern anchor!!) and borke the shifter. We called Brent and he met us in Cane Garden Bay with a new motor at exactly the time he said (how often does THAT happen in boating??!). Once the motor was replaced he handed us new wind charts and sent us on our way. Great Service! This year we will be on one of his Cats and are ready to Dry Out and Thaw Out! Have a GREAT TIME!
Makena05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 14:56   #9

I have been chartering with Brent (owner of Captain's Compass) since 1999. Great company. In fact, I have already reserved his 44' catamaran for summer 2015! Can't wait to go back.

John
drjjlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:08   #10
Sailbeat | #1 Yacht Charter Portal

Send a message via Skype™ to SailBeat

I've had a few clients charter with Captains Compasss. No major problems, yes they are older boats and therefore more likely that things will go wrong but if any thing did happen you'll be well looked after.
Old 13-07-2015, 12:34   #11

John, I am interested in chartering the Voyage 44 from Brent in July of 2016, I would appreciate any comments or tips you have about renting from this company and how the boat was..
Mike
Mbrookes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 21:35   #12

Mbrooks,

I just got back from a 3 week charter with Captains Compass Yachts on Imiloa, the 44' Voyage catamaran. Best trip of my life. Boat is 12 years old but kept in seaworthy condition. Ran great. Nice newer sails and the engines are so clean they would almost pass the white glove test. My favorite anchorages are Dead Man's Bay on Peter Island and Valley Trunk Bay on Virgin Gorda. I hope you have a great charter. Please look me up if you have any questions.

John Lloyd, MD
Seal Beach
Old 26-10-2015, 19:52   #13

I had such a great time last summer that I reserved "Afloat," the Admiral 38 for June 2016. I loved "Imiloa," but it was already booked. My kids are so excited to go again that I actually got a hug. Planning early saved me a lot of money. Just booked tickets from LAX to EIS for only $612, and Captain's Compass charter prices are the best in the industry.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-07-2016, 14:15   #14

3 weeks aboard Afloat went by too quickly. Nice comfortable boat that is strong and made for blue water cruising. When a couple of repairs were needed, "Boots," the can-do mechanic with the big smile had everything shipshape quickly.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-08-2016, 11:19   #15

Boat: F.P Mahe Evolution 36-Aloha Ola

Have a look at Horizon Charters, yep I'm biased I'm an owner but actually great company. Super friendly staff and new boats with competitive prices......You won't be just a number.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Nalu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, reviews