Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2017, 22:00   #1
rbk

Boat: T37
Far East Sails

Anyone have any experience with Far East Sail? From what I gather they make sails for a lot of big name brands as most 'lofts' sub out all but their racing sails. They've been around for over 50 years and seem reputable. I'm looking for cruising sails not racing and I'm well aware of how nice Port Townsend sails are as many other custom boutique lofts so thanks in advance for recommending them in advance. Shredded my main a few weeks back and looking for a quick cheap replacement which will become a spare when the time comes. Any feedback on quality and customer experience would be great. Been quoted for a challenger 8.88oz hm (mass not modulus) full batten 3 reef, lose footed for a price I can't ignore.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 00:32   #2
cruiser

Re: Far East Sails

Just purchased a full set of custom DYS tri radial cut from Dolphin Sails in the UK for about the same price I was quoted in the states for some cheap Chinese dacon sails. They were manufactured in the Uk loft.

Best to shop around.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 08:43   #3
rbk

I have close to twenty quotes from various lofts. Many of the big name lofts have been getting poor reviews as of late regarding quality and or customer service including your Dolphins. Far East claims to use Challange, Dimension Polyant and Contender cloth same as everyone else and very few negative reviews on the web, so all and all a pretty level playing field.Triple stitching, leather chafe patches, aluminium head board...yadayadayada. So again, thanks for the recommendation but back to the original question of experience with FE sail loft...?
Old 16-05-2017, 09:01   #4

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

*IF* you're US based and/or buying in US currency, I'd take a hard look at UK and other European sail lofts (even "botique" ones), as the relative changes in currency values over the past 6 - 18 months have really brought US$ prices down.

As an aside, I'm seeing this across many boating products. If the product is produced anywhere in Europe (Continent or UK/Ireland), and you buy from a EU/UK based dealer, you're ending up way ahead of the game - especially because US dealers don't seem to be adjusting their prices for the currency shift (I'm not sure who is pocketing the extra profit, the dealers or the manufacturers, but someone is coming out ahead).
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 09:47   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
I have close to twenty quotes from various lofts. Many of the big name lofts have been getting poor reviews as of late regarding quality and or customer service including your Dolphins. Far East claims to use Challange, Dimension Polyant and Contender cloth same as everyone else and very few negative reviews on the web, so all and all a pretty level playing field.Triple stitching, leather chafe patches, aluminium head board...yadayadayada. So again, thanks for the recommendation but back to the original question of experience with FE sail loft...?
The Dolphin Sails company has loads of stellar 5 star reviews on google not including my own, and only one bad review by someone back in 2011, but you go by that one.

OK suit yourself, but there're plenty of sails being offered at low prices right now from Europe and the UK, but if you prefer cheap from China for the same price... then go for it!

It's your money, we're just trying to help.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 10:52   #6

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ils-16356.html

Here is my experience with them... No hearsay ... Spend your money elsewhere
lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 16:34   #7
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The Dolphin Sails company has loads of stellar 5 star reviews on google not including my own, and only one bad review by someone back in 2011, but you go by that one.

OK suit yourself, but there're plenty of sails being offered at low prices right now from Europe and the UK, but if you prefer cheap from China for the same price... then go for it!

It's your money, we're just trying to help.
And for every five star review for Dolphin I can find five star reviews for Far East as well and negative just the same for both. So it's all subjective. As for the recommendation this is exactly why I asked to not give recommendations. And if you look at my profile you would see I'm in Canada and not a benefit to me to buy from the UK or Europe.
Old 16-05-2017, 21:42   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

My observation:

Most folks who buy sails, especially those who are bargain hunters, don't know very much about sails or sailmaking. So, they sail with really blown out crappy old sails for a while, and then buy new ones, from somewhere or other. The new sails, if they pass the "does it fit the boat" test will show dramatically better performance than the blown out bags they replace no matter who made them. The result? A five star review and good word of mouth on the internet forums for what may be a pretty mediocre product.

My take is that all sailmakers have pretty much the same resources as far as materials, and to some extent, design software. The skills lie in matching the materials and the specific design to the application for the individual sailor, and to some degree, the business acumen that allows delivery on the proposed schedule. This usually requires some considerable amount of personal communication between sailor and sailmaker, a visit to t he boat for measurement, and then some followup as the sail is manufactured. When the work is outsourced to some distant shop, even a very skilled one, some of the interaction goes missing and any mishaps are awfully difficult to rectify.

Bottom line for me is to not buy sails from any loft that I can't visit, or whose principle will not invest the time to visit me and my boat. I may pay a bit more, maybe not, but I have a much better handle upon the process, and the product fits my needs.

Jim
Old 16-05-2017, 23:15   #9
rbk

Guess no one really read my original post. Having sailed new and old sails from Doyle, Hyde, North, Pryde, Hood and Hong Kong and it's pretty hard to screw up a cross cut full batten heavy cruising sail as a "quick and cheap replacement" and I'll add... to allow me to sail while I complete a refit. So if no one has anything constructive to add...
Old 19-05-2017, 02:33   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Guess no one really read my original post. Having sailed new and old sails from Doyle, Hyde, North, Pryde, Hood and Hong Kong and it's pretty hard to screw up a cross cut full batten heavy cruising sail as a "quick and cheap replacement" and I'll add... to allow me to sail while I complete a refit. So if no one has anything constructive to add...
Well, post 6 did give a specific experience with Far East sails, so likely he did read your post.

Meanwhile, if you don't have interest in the other responses, don't waste your time reading them or complaining about them.

Jim
Old 19-05-2017, 08:16   #11
rbk

Yes and the link provided a mostly positive review other than the usuall naysayers who have no actual experience with them and a bunch of good reviews form people who have had a good experience but the poster still recommends against it so kind of contradicting. Either way Bacon's doesn't have anything worthwhile but I have found a used Pryde that will do the job for considerably less. Now I can wait, do my refit and stop by Port Townsend on the way south and get a full cruising suit when the time comes.
Old 05-12-2019, 00:02   #12

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
My observation:

Most folks who buy sails, especially those who are bargain hunters, don't know very much about sails or sailmaking. So, they sail with really blown out crappy old sails for a while, and then buy new ones, from somewhere or other. The new sails, if they pass the "does it fit the boat" test will show dramatically better performance than the blown out bags they replace no matter who made them. The result? A five star review and good word of mouth on the internet forums for what may be a pretty mediocre product.

My take is that all sailmakers have pretty much the same resources as far as materials, and to some extent, design software. The skills lie in matching the materials and the specific design to the application for the individual sailor, and to some degree, the business acumen that allows delivery on the proposed schedule. This usually requires some considerable amount of personal communication between sailor and sailmaker, a visit to t he boat for measurement, and then some followup as the sail is manufactured. When the work is outsourced to some distant shop, even a very skilled one, some of the interaction goes missing and any mishaps are awfully difficult to rectify.

Bottom line for me is to not buy sails from any loft that I can't visit, or whose principle will not invest the time to visit me and my boat. I may pay a bit more, maybe not, but I have a much better handle upon the process, and the product fits my needs.

Jim
Just found this old thread while shopping for sails myself.. I agree with everything you say and I really want to buy sails from my countrymen ideally or at least from a European loft *but* .. I have two quotes in front of me right now. One from an in country sailmaker and one from Far East Sails.. I need to re read the fine print and make sure I am comparing apples to apples but in principle I asked both for radial cut hydranet or equivalent. Both replied with a quote for cross cut Dacron "premium" sails so both didn't really read my request that carefully .. anyhow.. I digress.. one is quoting me 8000€ for 3 sails, Far East is quoting 3500€ (!!). One would have to pay import tariffs on that of course but even assuming worst case we are talking 4500€*to 5000€ when all is said and done.

Yes.. I know.. you get what you pay for, the service of the local sailmaker is invaluable etc etc.. but.. that's a hard big chunk of cash to put your money where your mouth is. Particularly when in my case, my boat is not near any big lofts or anything and a sailmaker visit from anywhere is unlikely to happen unless I paid his flight ticket and expenses .. so in the end, the relationship conditions wouldn't differ much if he is sitting in EU or in HK.. The usual cruiser conundrum.

So yes.. in all honesty .. would you still shun the Hong Kong lofts? assuming of course you don't have a 7 figure bank account balance??
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:16   #13

Boat: CT-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
Just found this old thread while shopping for sails myself.. I agree with everything you say and I really want to buy sails from my countrymen ideally or at least from a European loft *but* .. I have two quotes in front of me right now. One from an in country sailmaker and one from Far East Sails.. I need to re read the fine print and make sure I am comparing apples to apples but in principle I asked both for radial cut hydranet or equivalent. Both replied with a quote for cross cut Dacron "premium" sails so both didn't really read my request that carefully .. anyhow.. I digress.. one is quoting me 8000€ for 3 sails, Far East is quoting 3500€ (!!). One would have to pay import tariffs on that of course but even assuming worst case we are talking 4500€*to 5000€ when all is said and done.

Yes.. I know.. you get what you pay for, the service of the local sailmaker is invaluable etc etc.. but.. that's a hard big chunk of cash to put your money where your mouth is. Particularly when in my case, my boat is not near any big lofts or anything and a sailmaker visit from anywhere is unlikely to happen unless I paid his flight ticket and expenses .. so in the end, the relationship conditions wouldn't differ much if he is sitting in EU or in HK.. The usual cruiser conundrum.

So yes.. in all honesty .. would you still shun the Hong Kong lofts? assuming of course you don't have a 7 figure bank account balance??

Both, Fareast Sails and Lee Sails in Hong Kong produce good quality sails.... Lee for the past 30 years I think.

I know a number of cruisers who bought sails from them.... no complaints.

For my needs and budget the sails are perfect.

Just ordered a new staysail from Far East sails and communication was straight forward... good price, and extras I requested where implemented without fuss or additional charge.

I have a “repairable” Genova but the repairs will cost 900 Euro ... and it will still be an old sail... probably will order a new sail from Far East sails and expect something like 2000 USD to 2500 to pay.
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:28   #14

Boat: Outremer 55L

How about Rolly Tasker Sails in Phuket? Has anyone used them?

For any of these, is there any value to being on site with them if your boat is in the area? Or will they still deal with you completely hands off?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:31   #15

Boat: CT-47

Sure, also an option... Or Hyde Sails in Cebu, Philippines
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails