Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2017, 04:55   #1

Boat: Gemini 3000
Panama City to The Keys

good morning all, We have recently purchased a Gemini 3000 and are located currently in Panama City. We would like to sail her to the keys then West Palm prior to going to Bahamas in the spring.
Can anyone suggest the best routes and stops from experience ? we do not plan on doing much night sailing and would expect to average 60- 100 miles per day...

thanks in advance
ryanandchantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 05:19   #2

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: Panama City to The Keys

Are you in Panama City Fl or Panama City Panama?
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 06:34   #3

Hah thanks frank, that made me giggle
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 06:42   #4

If you don't want to go to the keys, or a fun side trip, the okeechobee waterway is fun. Really good scenery and wildlife. Get to experience the locks and dams too.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 06:46   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Assuming Fl if I don't want much night sailing I first head over to Carrabelle, actually Dog Island and over night or a day or two there and if we want to take the dinghy in, long way though so not do-able if you don't have a fast dink, or willing to take a long time.
Anyway from there your closest place to go to is Tarpon Springs or it's not much further to Clearwater.
You can meander down the ICW if you wish from either to Venice I think where you have to go back outside.
The crossing to Clearwater is easy just as always check weather.
I have heard that Venice is not a cruiser friendly town, but I have only overnighted at the Marina a couple of times so not sure. I have not tried to anchor there as I've heard they don't want you there.
May or may not be just as unsubstantiated rumor, I didn't try.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 07:29   #6

Boat: 1983 Aloha 34

We jumped from Panama City to Clearwater. It was 200 miles and took us 48hr. We are now in Gulfport (near st pete), which is a cool town to stop at! Eclectic and funky. Good restaurants, a market on Tuesday, and a nice free dinghy dock. Next stop for us is the keys!
Old 27-01-2017, 07:31   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Ryan and Chantal,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new (to you) boat.

Trip from PC to the keys is pretty straight forward. The ICW goes most of the way but there is a big gap in the big bend, roughly Carabelle to Tarpon Springs as I recall, about 200 miles. The coast along the gap is shallow mangroves and no good places to stop for most of that gap.

From Tarpon Springs south you can stay in the ICW and make easy day trips to the Keys.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 07:39   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You know, he might could go to Cedar Key, I avoid it as I'm afraid of running aground, but what is his draft?
Old 27-01-2017, 08:34   #9

FL sorry
Old 27-01-2017, 08:35   #10

draft is 18" with centerboards up
Old 27-01-2017, 08:46   #11

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

Your 3000 easily clears the Okeechobee waterway. I've done both trips, the OK is really an experience to do at least once. Several days of mostly motoring with a potential nice sail across the LAKE. There are several nice stops along the waterway to enjoy the nights - and the bugs if you do it in late summer.

The trip down the West Coast to Marathon is also nice, as is the trip to Key West.

It all depends on your wishes.

Leaving the East coast for the Bahamas presents similar choices - if you go to the Keys, I suggest leaving South and West, someplace between Ley Largo (nice stop at Pennekamp) and Elliott Key. If you cross the Okeechobee, I suggest leaving at least as South as Lake Worth, departure at St. Lucie gives you an upstream crossing that may be less comfortable in the 3000.

Have a great trip.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 08:47   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You know, he might could go to Cedar Key, I avoid it as I'm afraid of running aground, but what is his draft?
With a Gemini cat he should fit in Cedar Key just fine. Maybe even Suwanee although that could be tight. Charts list 2' depth into Suwanee from the Gulf.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 08:48   #13

Let me opine on the Tarpon Springs/Clearwater leg to the keys. I grew up in these waters and still cruise them. While you are cruising south you may want to jaunt through Gulfport just south of Clearwater for a pleasant anchor out and then on up Tampa Bay to the St. Petersburg area. There are anchorages, moorings and marina's there. St Pete is on fire with activity and restaurants if that is your thing. South of the south Siesta Bridge in Sarasota you will come to a spot where you pass two points--on on either side and the bay opens up. I anchor off the ICW to the west in 5 feet of water and it is fine holding and protected. Heading back south toward Venice there are anchorages off Marina Jack in Sarasota where you can also dinghy ashore for some night life. The Venice area has gotten crowded with moored and docked boats near the public launching ramp. But, with your draft you should be able to find a place in Roberts Bay to anchor for a bit being unaffected by even the lowest cold front tide. Much to do in Venice and a short uber up to town or walk it in 20 minutes. If you go outside at Venice your next stop will be Boca Grande. If you go inside you will find some anchorages off the ICW north of the Englewood Bridge on the east side. you will see some other boats that are permanently moored there. There is an anchorage just south of the Englewood bridge to the west. It can be crowded but offers easy dink access to the gulf beach. South from Englewood you will follow the ICW to the Charlotte Harbor/Boca Grande/Pine Island Sound area. Get a cruising guide and check this out for a plethora of anchorages with great fishing, star viewing and the like. Don't miss Pelican Bay and Cabbage Key. You can go back out the channel at Boca Grande and head south in the gulf or take the ICW down to Fort Meyers passing Sanibel and other nice stopping off spots. From there you have a decision to make. ICW over through Lake O. or down the coast to Naples/Marco or right on down to the Keys. One more caveat. If you are adventurous, I would encourage you to go into the Everglades at Little Shark River and anchor. I too am shoal draft and like to go all the way up to Whitewater Bay. This area is really remote so be sure you are prepared for same. Hope that gives a little color. If you are in a hurry you can do long jumps. But, if you can wander there are many many nice areas on the west coast of Florida to gunk hole, dine and watch fab sunsets from. Have a hell of a trip!
Scoop Scott B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 09:23   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanandchantal View Post
draft is 18" with centerboards up
About what I thought, then Cedar key is easy for him, neat little town, tourist trap. I have flown in many times, never been by boat though always worried about depth.
Old 27-01-2017, 10:34   #15

Boat: Pearson

panama city to carrabelle, to cedar key , hug markers, tarpon springs or clearwater, duneden for supplies, icw to sanibel draw bridge, supplies up cal. river to ft meyers,anchorage in lee of sanibel island, marco ,south to inside passage ,on the inside toward maimi, a small public dock south of maimi, maybe 30 miles. A nice trip. good luck.

Tags
Panama