Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2016, 11:30   #1

Boat: 42 Krogen #61
Panama/San Blas (eastbound)

First time in Panama, lots of questions. Looked thru old post back to January and couldn't find any info. My wife and I cleared into Bocas 2 months ago and she flew home for a few weeks. We will be in the area for another month before heading east. Planned on stopping in Portobello, Isla Linton/Puerto Lindo, then on to San Blas until the weather breaks in Spring. Not sure yet of destination afterwards, maybe Colombia, maybe points north with or without backtracking thru Panama proper.

Can I go Bocas to Linton on zarpe w/ portobello listed as enroute? How do I renew our Visas in San Blas? I assume this is only required if I come back thru Panama. How is a zarpe from Linton w/ San Blas enroute going to be received in Colombia or Jamaica when it is 4-5 months old. We seem to be going a bit backwards from the normal migration thru the San Blas. We plan to be in the Eastern Caribbean for next years hurricane season. To complicate matters, our SSB receives only, having transmission issues. We have been using sat coms as needed, but not much help with "the nets". What time/channel net would be the most informative for us?

Overwhelmed with official requirements,

Scott

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 14:09   #2

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl
Re: Panama/San Blas (eastbound)

Hi,
We were there in January and February.

I found the rules to be inconsistent between ports. The port captain in Bocas told us we should have gotten a coastal clearance from San Blas, however, in San Blas the port captain told us we did not need one. And etc. So I don't think you can get reliable information by asking officials in Bocas or Portobello what to do in San Blas.

I think the best information may be from local cruisers. If no one here has a good answer for you, I recommend "Cruisers Network Online", an email list on Yahoo Groups.

There is a 'San Blas Cruisers' FB group, which many of the long term cruisers in those waters are on. They would know the current state of the rules there. When we left, the rules were changing quite a bit and unpredictable due to an internal political fight.

The local morning SSB net did have a lot of knowledgable people on it. Maybe in Bocas you could find someone with an SSB and use that to ask?

Have fun there!
Old 12-01-2017, 06:08   #3

Boat: 42 Krogen #61
Re: Panama/San Blas (eastbound)

Follow up, in case it helps someone.

Never cleared out of bocas, port captain in Linton didn't care. Went to Portobelo just fine on the way to Linton Bay. Decided to clear put of Panama before San Blas from Linton Bay, although immigration is in Portobelo(chicken bus ride $1.50).

Currently in San Blas for 3 weeks now, no issues. When we cleared out, they didn't take my cruising permit, so if Panama navy ever does ask, I still have a valid permit.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, Panama