Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 11:06   #1

Boat: PENDING - Antares 44i
Greetings from South Africa

Greetings from a land-locked South African.

I found this forum when researching cataramans, circumnavigating the globe with one, and so forth. I lurked for a bit, registered, then lurked some more, before I found this forum and thought I had better introduce myself.

I have no formal sailing experience, except with friend's fishing boat in Richards Bay. I have always liked the idea of sailing a catamaran, and said whichever one I eventually buy, it must be transoceanic/blue water-capable, as I plan on going around the world with it.

I have already plotted a tentative route on Google Maps based on what I've read. The route is mainly based on the Blue Planet Odyssey's Southern routes (my logic as a novice being that they would choose wisely), and excerpts from Jimmy Cornell's books that I could access via Google Books.

My booklist is already at 17, including almost everything written by Jimmy Cornell. I can't imagine planning a circumnavigation without them.

As I said above, I have put together a tentative route, but am also not putting a specific timeframe on it, so if I need to sit in a harbour to wait out hurricanes, better winds, or weather, or whatever, then that won't be an issue. Heck, even the option to never stop sailing is there.

Now onto boat choice, from what I've read so far, will be something in the 35-45ft range. I REALLY like the look of the Antares 44i, but the current price of just over $1mil is steep, especially when converting back to ZAR. I have seen blue water-capable cats available locally for considerably less. I don't know yet what I will buy. Whatever it will be, I don't want to be sitting in the middle of the Atlantic/Pacific/dry-dock wishing I had spent a bit more. I also like the Leopard and Royal Cape Cats that I have seen, again priced considerably lower than the Antares, but probably because the ones I've seen are second-hand and older.

On the route-planning side of things, I am tempted to avoid countries where getting the required visa would be a hassle (eg. in advance), as I don't know when or how long I would be staying there. If I arrive somewhere and like it, I want to be able to stay longer, or if not, then leave asap. A couple of contry's visa requirements appear to preclude me being able to do this.

Let me finish my introductory essay here, and carry on trawling through the forums!

B
SirBismuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:13   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Greetings from South Africa

Welcome aboard B. Sounds like you are doing your homework. Good luck with it all. I'd guess buying a near used SA cat would be your best bet, considering the location and dollar rates. Leopard, St Francis etc etc
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 18:17   #3

Indeed, when I tackle a project, I like to research it as much as possible. Have done the same when buying cars and property, that way I avoid nasty surprises. Heck, I have abandoned projects this way as well.

I think I will have to buy locally, unless a previously unkown well-off relative passes away and I inherit wads of forex, lol.

B
Old 06-02-2016, 18:49   #4

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Welcome... You will enjoy this forum!

http://curioussailor.blogspot.com/
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:54   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, B.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:18   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Welcome to the forum Mr.B!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:21   #7

Thanks all!

Have been trawling the various sub-forums here, haven't stopped yet, always find an interesting thread, even if it's not what I am specifically looking for!

I am fine-tuning my circumnavigation plan, currently hoping to depart no later than 2019, to return XXXX (if at all), but will see what happens. My wife thinks I am crazy to have such a short timeline, but otherwise she is onboard all the way!

I have also modified my planned route, primarily with assistance from posts here, the Cruising Wiki (a valuable resource needs some work though, hopefully I will be able to assist there in future), NoonSite.com, and Google.

Am following a couple of Youtube video series, I should stop that, as it makes me want to up and leave now, and I don't even have a boat yet, lol!

B
Old 08-02-2016, 10:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBismuth View Post
Greetings from a land-locked South African.

I found this forum when researching cataramans, circumnavigating the globe with one, and so forth. I lurked for a bit, registered, then lurked some more, before I found this forum and thought I had better introduce myself.

I have no formal sailing experience, except with friend's fishing boat in Richards Bay. I have always liked the idea of sailing a catamaran, and said whichever one I eventually buy, it must be transoceanic/blue water-capable, as I plan on going around the world with it.

I have already plotted a tentative route on Google Maps based on what I've read. The route is mainly based on the Blue Planet Odyssey's Southern routes (my logic as a novice being that they would choose wisely), and excerpts from Jimmy Cornell's books that I could access via Google Books.

My booklist is already at 17, including almost everything written by Jimmy Cornell. I can't imagine planning a circumnavigation without them.

As I said above, I have put together a tentative route, but am also not putting a specific timeframe on it, so if I need to sit in a harbour to wait out hurricanes, better winds, or weather, or whatever, then that won't be an issue. Heck, even the option to never stop sailing is there.

Now onto boat choice, from what I've read so far, will be something in the 35-45ft range. I REALLY like the look of the Antares 44i, but the current price of just over $1mil is steep, especially when converting back to ZAR. I have seen blue water-capable cats available locally for considerably less. I don't know yet what I will buy. Whatever it will be, I don't want to be sitting in the middle of the Atlantic/Pacific/dry-dock wishing I had spent a bit more. I also like the Leopard and Royal Cape Cats that I have seen, again priced considerably lower than the Antares, but probably because the ones I've seen are second-hand and older.

On the route-planning side of things, I am tempted to avoid countries where getting the required visa would be a hassle (eg. in advance), as I don't know when or how long I would be staying there. If I arrive somewhere and like it, I want to be able to stay longer, or if not, then leave asap. A couple of contry's visa requirements appear to preclude me being able to do this.

Let me finish my introductory essay here, and carry on trawling through the forums!

B
Howzit!

Sailing from Pretoria gonna be tricky ;-)
EvilRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 15:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRabbit View Post
Howzit!

Sailing from Pretoria gonna be tricky ;-)
Heh, thought with all this global warming, Pretoria would get a beach!

Heck, I know people that sailed from Zimbabwe to Florida, so Pretoria should be a cinch!

B
Old 08-02-2016, 15:26   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Greetings from South Africa

Welcome to CF 'B'...
Nice to have someone with their ducks in a row and walking them slowly..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 06:02   #11

Boat: Spirit 28, Van de Stadt

HI SirBismuth,

Im also relatively new on this forum and have found it to be a wealth of information. Thanks to all the kind harted contributors!!

Im currently living in Richards Bay and if you want to gain sailing experience you are more than welcome to look me up?

I also want to go the cat route latter but for now I have a Vd Stadt Spirit 28
sneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 09:26   #12

Hi sneider,

Indeed, this forum is a wealth of information. Don't understand any serious rivalry between monohulls and multihulls. To me, a sailor is a sailor is a sailor. But, I am a noob/wannabee sailor here, so maybe I will figure it out eventually.

B
Old 18-02-2016, 21:57   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBismuth View Post
Hi sneider,

Indeed, this forum is a wealth of information. Don't understand any serious rivalry between monohulls and multihulls. To me, a sailor is a sailor is a sailor. But, I am a noob/wannabee sailor here, so maybe I will figure it out eventually.

B
Sounds like a multihuller

Same sea right.
EvilRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Africa, South Africa