Old 14-11-2014, 12:13   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Egyptian navy vessel attacked by terrorist

Interesting development...

BBC News - Egypt sailors missing after navy ship attacked in Med

Quote:
Gunmen have attacked an Egyptian navy ship in the Mediterranean Sea, state media say, leaving five servicemen injured and eight more missing at sea.

The vessel reportedly caught fire in the assault, some 70km (45 miles) off the northern port of Damietta.

In two further attacks in northern Sinai, militants killed five policemen and soldiers, officials said.

A three-month state of emergency was declared in northern Sinai last month after 31 soldiers were killed.

Jihadists have stepped up attacks against police and soldiers since the overthrow of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi last year.

However, direct attacks on Egyptian naval vessels are unusual.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 12:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Egyptian navy vessel attacked by terrorist

And then I stumble across this, not Med but West aFrica.

BBC News - Danger zone: Chasing West Africa?s pirates

Pirates around the Gulf of Guiana/Nigeria.

Sheesh!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 18:57   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Another good reason to realise GOA, Red Sea and North Africa is not safe.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 23:41   #4

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Sorry Sir but IMHO you are talking absolute rubbish!

Unless you have not noticed Terrorists are all over the world and as for Piracy Check out:

Key Facts | Eunavfor

https://www.icc-ccs.org/piracy-repor...ive-piracy-map
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 00:21   #5

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyagimoon View Post
Sorry Sir but IMHO you are talking absolute rubbish!

Unless you have not noticed Terrorists are all over the world and as for Piracy Check out:

Key Facts | Eunavfor

https://www.icc-ccs.org/piracy-repor...ive-piracy-map

Well said Albert. Facts is what are needed
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 02:26   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Rubbish on North Africa -- we are in Tunisia and safer here than in spots in USA>
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 02:12   #7

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

In defense of the original posting, this has nothing to do with piracy or the history or lack thereof of any attacks on pleasure yachts transiting the Suez Canal or cruising the northern half of the Red Sea. This attack on the Egyptian naval vessel about 30 NM from the northern entrance to the Suez Canal is just one more jihadist attack in that vicinity recently. The other attacks that have occurred in the vicinity of the Suez Canal have all been land based. Remember the 31 Egyptian soldiers killed a month or so past. The point is that jihadist activity has increased in that region since Morsi was toppled and these attacks likely will increase. This does not mean that any pleasure yacht has been attacked. It does mean that sailors wishing to cruise that area need to keep informed of current activity and remain alert. YMMV.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 03:38   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Piracy and misconceptions galore. I want to add that living in the Western affluent hemisphere doesn't excuse simple mindedness. I have had many peopke querying me about my liveaboarding in Eastern Africa. I haven't encountered any problem but inform myself, like one has to check fir weather windows, now we can check lots of info on political problems like piracy on the net. If an Egyptian naval cessel gets attacked in med that diesnt mean entire med is unsafe! I get extremely annoyed that tourism in Eastern African countries at 3000 miles from Kenya can be affected because some Western tourists think bonbs, al shabab on Kenyan coast affects Mozambique. Please add geography to primary school education.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 03:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
In defense of the original posting, this has nothing to do with piracy or the history or lack thereof of any attacks on pleasure yachts transiting the Suez Canal or cruising the northern half of the Red Sea. This attack on the Egyptian naval vessel about 30 NM from the northern entrance to the Suez Canal is just one more jihadist attack in that vicinity recently. The other attacks that have occurred in the vicinity of the Suez Canal have all been land based. Remember the 31 Egyptian soldiers killed a month or so past. The point is that jihadist activity has increased in that region since Morsi was toppled and these attacks likely will increase. This does not mean that any pleasure yacht has been attacked. It does mean that sailors wishing to cruise that area need to keep informed of current activity and remain alert. YMMV.

Judy
I do not think anyone has any issues with the original post nor probably the second post which referrs to piracy. It's the fly away comment from MarkJ.

We are all aware (or at least we should be) of possible terrorist activities. But let us get things in perpective. In 2014 to date there has been over 230 terrorist attacks throughout the world. 9 of which are associated with Egypt (Red Sea / Suez Canal), thats less than 4%.

By the way 4 of the 230 catagorised as terrorist attacks happened in USA. Is that "Another good reason to realise USA is not safe".
Old 16-11-2014, 03:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
Piracy and misconceptions galore. I want to add that living in the Western affluent hemisphere doesn't excuse simple mindedness. I have had many peopke querying me about my liveaboarding in Eastern Africa. I haven't encountered any problem but inform myself, like one has to check fir weather windows, now we can check lots of info on political problems like piracy on the net. If an Egyptian naval cessel gets attacked in med that diesnt mean entire med is unsafe! I get extremely annoyed that tourism in Eastern African countries at 3000 miles from Kenya can be affected because some Western tourists think bonbs, al shabab on Kenyan coast affects Mozambique. Please add geography to primary school education.
Well said that man / woman !!!
Old 16-11-2014, 05:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyagimoon View Post
I do not think anyone has any issues with the original post nor probably the second post which referrs to piracy. It's the fly away comment from MarkJ.

We are all aware (or at least we should be) of possible terrorist activities. But let us get things in perpective. In 2014 to date there has been over 230 terrorist attacks throughout the world. 9 of which are associated with Egypt (Red Sea / Suez Canal), thats less than 4%.

By the way 4 of the 230 catagorised as terrorist attacks happened in USA. Is that "Another good reason to realise USA is not safe".
The USA is not safe. I think even Americans realize that. It is no more safe than England or Germany or Australia or Fiji or Philippines. My town of Houston, TX, had 217 murders; 665 rapes; 9,385 robberies; 11,343 assaults; 26,630 burglaries; 67,978 thefts; 13,070 auto thefts; and 754 cases of arson reported during calendar year 2013. Hardly could be considered "safe."

Terrorism can happen anywhere. To pretend otherwise is foolish. Just as foolish to pretend that what has happened in a certain region is not an indication of that area being dangerous. Egypt is in turmoil. It is politically very unstable. These attacks are happening and are likely to continue to happen until they once again have a stable government.

Judy
Old 16-11-2014, 05:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
The USA is not safe. I think even Americans realize that. It is no more safe than England or Germany or Australia or Fiji or Philippines. My town of Houston, TX, had 217 murders; 665 rapes; 9,385 robberies; 11,343 assaults; 26,630 burglaries; 67,978 thefts; 13,070 auto thefts; and 754 cases of arson reported during calendar year 2013. Hardly could be considered "safe."

Terrorism can happen anywhere. To pretend otherwise is foolish. Just as foolish to pretend that what has happened in a certain region is not an indication of that area being dangerous. Egypt is in turmoil. It is politically very unstable. These attacks are happening and are likely to continue to happen until they once again have a stable government.

Judy
Hi Judy,

That is too broad a statement. I think to put it into perspective would be to say. "certain parts of any country are not safe".There are parts of the USA that are safe as there are in England.
Old 16-11-2014, 05:57   #13

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Bozeman, Montana averages one half of a murder per year. I'd hate to be the other half.
Don't come here, it's not safe.
Old 18-11-2014, 01:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivonia View Post
Hi Judy,

That is too broad a statement. I think to put it into perspective would be to say. "certain parts of any country are not safe".There are parts of the USA that are safe as there are in England.
No, Peter. Terrorism can happen anywhere at any time. Even in tiny rural villages or towns. If there is a target worth getting international attention (could be as simple as a school or hospital or retirement home), then terrorism can happen there. As to stats of crimes, my mother was murdered in a robbery in a tiny town in the USA. The first murder since the town had been incorporated 39 years earlier. Statistically highly unlikely that this could happen, yet it did. And there has not been another murder in that little town since she was killed in 1981. Crime also can happen anywhere at any time. I still maintain that it is not prudent to ignore that attacks are taking place in a region, such as has happened in Egypt near the Suez Canal several times this year.

Judy
Old 18-11-2014, 03:05   #15

Hi Judy,

realy sorry to hear of that dreadful news about your mother.

Tags
Egypt, navy