Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2017, 16:38   #1

Boat: 1989 C&C 37R
The Power of sailing

So…. we all agree that sailing is not only the best way to boat but also the most economical. However, we all have those times when we have to start the motor and use mechanical propulsion to get to where we want to go. Whether we are motoring to make up time or due to a lack of wind, it is inevitable. Even just getting off a mooring or setting the anchor needs a bit of power to help us along.

The bottom line is, it needs to start when it is needed especially in an emergency. Ocean Phoenix is a bit of a hard starter. Although we have not had her in the water yet we did run the motor before purchase on the hard and we did winterize her this year. The mechanics who got her running after sitting for 3 seasons and our broker both commented that it took a bit to get her started and we found that it took about 45 seconds with the glow plugs and a full throttle to get her up and running.

The M35 Universal, I am told, have always been finicky but still…… does that not seem a little much? So the question is, is it bad fuel from sitting for 3 seasons? Are the glow plugs weak or is the relay not working at all? The motor was just overhauled before she went on the hard and I was assured she has about 5 hrs on the rebuild. When she is up and running it purrs like a dream and runs clean.

Does anyone else have any experience with the Universal engines ( particularly the M35). My experience has been mainly with Yanmar and they tend to run strong if serviced yearly. My plan is to drain all the fuel and start over fresh. New filters all around and some fresh engine oil should help also. I am curious how to check the glow plugs & relay to see if they are up to the task also.

Your thought are welcomed…..
Ocean Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 16:46   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: The Power of sailing

You need to do an Italian tune up.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 18:07   #3
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

I have an M35. It starts extremely quickly and seems a very remarkable engine all around. Like all diesels (and really all engines), it requires some essentials to start. When those essentials are not there, things go to poo quickly.
I have had issues for the better part of a year with mine but I can't blame the engine. It seems to be related to a VERY tiny air leak in the fuel supply line. The resulting problems are VERY fickle including being apparently dependent on the level of fuel in the tank. I think I have it solved (but then I thought that before).
There are a number of other little things that can drive you insane trying to figure them out.
Despite all of the problems I have had, I LOVE that engine!
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 19:17   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You need to do an Italian tune up.

Pete

I agree, on an engine that has been sitting for a long time, it’s likely gotten a little rust on the cylinder walls and reseating the rings couldn’t hurt. However glow plugs are just too easy to check, first check that voltage is there at the glow plugs, then disconnect them and check their resistance, bad ones show as open, just like a burnt out light bulb.
Then I’d pull the injectors and have them serviced, often a rebuild doesn’t include them.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 03:11   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ocean Pheonix

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 04:39   #6

Boat: 1989 C&C 37R

Thank you all for the insight and suggestions. I will definitely check the glow plug voltage and resistance. I was told that they repaired the fuel tank so I will check all the fuel lines also. I have also started to read the operation manual and have picked up a few key items. Universal has done an amazing job with there manuals. I have all 3 (parts, service and operators).

Thanks all for the guidance. I'll let ya know what I find.
Ocean Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 08:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Phoenix View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Universal has done an amazing job with there manuals. I have all 3 (parts, service and operators).

Thanks all for the guidance. I'll let ya know what I find.

You should also searh the web for Service Bulletins. They're those pesky notices about how the original manuals were wrong and other things you NEED to know about upgrades to the engine. Very important.

Engines 101 - The BIGGEST & BEST collection of M25 Series Universal Engine Information on the Internet, plus some M35, too

Diesel Engine - c34.org

Also, find out what rw pump you have.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 10:19   #8

Boat: Scout 30

[QUOTE=Jd1;2520635]I have an M35. It starts extremely quickly and seems a very remarkable engine all around. Like all diesels (and really all engines), it requires some essentials to start. When those essentials are not there, things go to poo quickly.
I have had issues for the better part of a year with mine but I can't blame the engine. It seems to be related to a VERY tiny air leak in the fuel supply line. The resulting problems are VERY fickle including being apparently dependent on the level of fuel in the tank. I think I have it solved (but then I thought that before).
There are a number of other little things that can drive you insane trying to figure them out.
Despite all of the problems I have had, I LOVE that engine![/QUOTE

Install an electric fuel pump with a switch as close to the tank as possible. If you have 2 tanks install it right after the Y valve. When on this will pressurize the lines & show you right where the leak is. Plus it's great for changing filters & can also run the motor if the primary fuel pump quits on you.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 10:25   #9

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Phoenix View Post
So…. we all agree that sailing is not only the best way to boat but also the most economical.
While I agree that sailing is the most enjoyable way to travel a small trawler is the most economical once you include maintenance and depreciation of the rig unless, of course, you're crossing oceans.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 10:45   #10

If the fuel you are using was sitting for three years then that could most CERTAINLY be a big part of the problem! At the very least you should get someone to polish the fuel for you. Personally, I would dump it and fill up with fresh diesel.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 11:22   #11

First thing to do is check if your instrument panel still has the highly dangerous trailer connectors inline.

Universal Diesel Wiring Harness Upgrade Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

My glow plugs used to take 40s, now they take 15, since I deleted the trailer plugs, and they are getting a proper voltage.
Old 18-11-2017, 11:26   #12

Boat: Valiant 32

I've got an M25. Had a poor connection at the first glow plug and it really did not want to start. Fixed that and it now needs 20 secs of glow plug then starts ok.
Qayaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 12:05   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I have owned several boats that sat on the hard unused, for up to 5 years.

Do an oil change. Go on a trip and run the engine for 24 hours straight. Then another oil change. This has always worked wonders for my engines...diesel, gasoline, and atomic 4. Especially Atomic 4.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 12:43   #14

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

All the above, plus check all your grounds, especially the ground between the starter and the block (where it bolts on). The faster the starter turns the engine over the easier it starts...sitting unused for years lets resistance-creating corrosion build up anywhere there is an environment conducive to its growth...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 14:00   #15
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Install an electric fuel pump with a switch as close to the tank as possible. If you have 2 tanks install it right after the Y valve. When on this will pressurize the lines & show you right where the leak is. Plus it's great for changing filters & can also run the motor if the primary fuel pump quits on you.
While I certainly agree that this is good advise, I would like to point out that you can have a fuel line that is not letting fuel out but IS letting air in !
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing